Are you planning to buy the Apple Watch?

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Ah man for that price it should be alone standing not phone depending.
I like 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Milanese Loop. But $699 ?
This is the one I like the most as well - also the Leather Loop version. I'm still juggling if it's worth it for the price. My concern is that while most time pieces can last for years and years, even be handed down family generations, these will quickly become outdated once Apple releases new ones a year from now. Dropping this much cash on something that will almost certainly not hold its value well is troubling.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
@Michael Baturin I have no idea what to think honest. Let's start with the band. I assumethe band will stay even if I replace the watch as long I get the same style. We have not yet discovered how often they will update the device. We think it is yearly. The watch quality. I do not want the aluminum casing with the cheap glass. That said, I am at the higher price point. I do like square watches if that matters?
I have had the Android watches for a while I actually do speak on wear design UI/UX for our GDG (Google developer group).
I am also testing PULS (http://www.puls.com/).
So the price is it to much ?
I say of Apple's watch was alone standing not dependable on the phone, No. But that is not the case.
What can it do?
Well I like the Puls better then Android wear watches. some my not see it that way. I find it more intuitive.
I never wear my Android watches at all. I do prefer Google GLASS.
Again I have no idea what to think. Glad Apple gave us a little time to decide.

Sassytallsista

Contributor
Bronze
May 22, 2010
Texas
I was excited about getting one, especially when I saw it on (insert model's name here) wrist during the event. It looked sleek and thin, not huge like it appears in a lot of pics. BUT I still don't know if I would wear it enough to justify the price.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
At present I can't see the point of buying one. It looks like it does some of what the phone does, only in a much more difficult way. And as a watch, it looks to fragile for me, I'd probably have it cracked and ruined, or at least scratched, in no time.

I guess the health features are neat, but don't see a need for them either.

I haven't thought much about style, or bands, or price. I'll get to those if I ever find a use for the watch.

Nov 1, 2012
Not enough information/specifications yet. Today's technology this should be solar powered, like a Citizen or Casio G-Shock. Waterproof to at least 50m, shock resistant, let's face it for $349.00+ it should have a lot more features of a good watch not a smartphone. My answer at the moment is no way am I paying that kind of money for something that is not proven yet, wait 6 months, updates, changes will occur and the price will go down.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Not enough information/specifications yet. Today's technology this should be solar powered, like a Citizen or Casio G-Shock. Waterproof to at least 50m, shock resistant, let's face it for $349.00+ it should have a lot more features of a good watch not a smartphone. My answer at the moment is no way am I paying that kind of money for something that is not proven yet, wait 6 months, updates, changes will occur and the price will go down.
Solar Powered would be awesome, I agree. Unfortunately, the technology in that space is not quite there yet. The amount of surface area needed to generate enough power to charge or at least slow/prevent battery drain would have to be considerably more than the entire watch's at this point. But, there are gadgets like this that can do the job, given you are in a favorable situation. For example hanging over a hiking pack while hiking, or on a rock while camping, etc. I have the 10W which i use to charge a small mobile battery and it works great. I think this 5W (perhaps the 7W) would be more than enough when plugged into the iWatch to charge or keep it from battery draining.
Solar.jpg

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
Since Apple is claiming 18 hours of battery power, I'm going to guess that most people will be getting less. I just can't get pass the price point considering that the watch is pretty useless without the iPhone. Add to the mix that it most certainly will be updated at most every other year. The pre-owned market probably won't be too strong either. No, I will not be getting one. I DO think that the watch will be successful for Apple. The people who buy it will not use logic when making their purchase. It's more of an emotional buy.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I've gone back and forth and I am having a hard time justifying the need. I just upgraded to a 6 Plus from a 6 for the bigger screen so I may sit out on the first generation.l watch.