Are you still happy with your iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
Maybe I'm just having a bad iPhone day, but it just kind of occurred to me a little while ago - right now I'm not real happy with my iPhone. My battery was about dead around 3:00PM, I've had numerous dropped calls today, I can't use the phone in my house (I've never gotten good reception inside, whenever it rings I immediately have to step outside for people to hear me) plus I just got my first AT&T bill ($151 - what happened to the $59/month?). Then on top of that my iPhone won't do many of the things I used to take for granted on my Motorola Q with Sprint (notes sync, update Word and Excel documents, direct streaming of Internet stations without Orb, a good Ebook reader, etc.). I'm thinking to myself what have I gotten myself into with the iPhone. If I knew what I know now - I would have real second thoughts about this purchase. I hope I feel different later - but for right now I'm not a real happy iPhone user. And to think I'm stuck with it for the next 2 years.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I'm quite happy with my phone and I'm a former Q user too. When I fire up my Q now, I think to myself "I used to think this thing was cool". About the only thing I really miss is the Outlook support. I'm currently unable to access my Exchange server at work. Hopefully this is temporary. But aside from that, I get FAR more use out of my iPhone that any other smartphone I've previously owned.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Maybe I'm just having a bad iPhone day, but it just kind of occurred to me a little while ago - right now I'm not real happy with my iPhone. My battery was about dead around 3:00PM, I've had numerous dropped calls today, I can't use the phone in my house (I've never gotten good reception inside, whenever it rings I immediately have to step outside for people to hear me) plus I just got my first AT&T bill ($151 - what happened to the $59/month?). Then on top of that my iPhone won't do many of the things I used to take for granted on my Motorola Q with Sprint (notes sync, update Word and Excel documents, direct streaming of Internet stations without Orb, a good Ebook reader, etc.). I'm thinking to myself what have I gotten myself into with the iPhone. If I knew what I know now - I would have real second thoughts about this purchase. I hope I feel different later - but for right now I'm not a real happy iPhone user. And to think I'm stuck with it for the next 2 years.
Not to criticize, but maybe you should have read the iPhone's user guide and tech specs (both online), and also checked on AT&T coverage in your area? It's not for everybody everywhere. The first bill is always more than the regular bill, because of other fees, like the activation fee.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Not to criticize, but maybe you should have read the iPhone's user guide and tech specs (both online), and also checked on AT&T coverage in your area? It's not for everybody everywhere. The first bill is always more than the regular bill, because of other fees, like the activation fee.
whole-heartedly agree.
when i was reading most of your problems i kept thinking, "why didn't he look into these things before?". just like the quoted above, i'm not trying to be mean:oops:

and as for the question, i still LOVE my iPhonem and maybe that's for a few reasons:
-i have excellent coverage via AT&T since i live in Houston, with many towers
-i have no need to sync my phone with the computer for documents, although i would love to be able to use the iPhone as a thumb-drive easier.
-all i really need my phone for is calling/web-browsing/listening to music/texting.
-i don't use email religiously, since as a student i am not forced to

even with all this said, i hope that with up-coming updates and maybe a few surprises from Apple that you have a new-found love for you iPhone.

good luck :)

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Not to criticize, but maybe you should have read the iPhone's user guide and tech specs (both online), and also checked on AT&T coverage in your area? .
It's difficult to do a carrier check by web, or even with a test phone. You have no idea how the iPhone will actually act. Still, a good idea to try perhaps.

But the other part, about checking the user gude etc, is just wrong, and mean, whether you want to be or not.

No one can tell from a guide, manual, ads, or even a few days of use, exactly what functionality is going to be missed.

I can just imagine your Mom buying something, and then talking aloud about how she misses the way her old whatchmacallit worked. And some smug guy comes along and starts saying, well you should've read the 120 page manual, and hung out on forums for months, and read every bit of news, and so on. I think you'd smack him.

:eek:

I'm not trying to be mean, either, btw.

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Still love my phone. And the 1.1.1 update had just made things better for me. The battery life is *killer* compared to my previous smart phones and PDAs.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I am still extremely happy with my iPhone. While it is missing some of the other "creature comforts" of other smartphones and the like I still love the iPhone for what it is and realize that the future models can only improve and further exceed my expectations.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Well, I completely disagree and smack me of you want. There's been enough info out there that a fairly recent buyer should have known what to expect from the iPhone if he had done his homework. No, it doesn't shave or serve as a mousetrap (as alluded by Conan O'Briem), but it does what it does well. No more than that. I wish I could use it as a Tricorder.

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
Actually I did do all my homework and even read the manual, so I did know what I was getting into. I guess I was hoping that 3rd party apps would fill in some of the gaps in functionality. I really miss not having a good Ebook reader. I was hoping by now that there would have been a program to do this and there was, but it was killed by 1.1.1.1. And hopefully sooner or later Google Docs will add editing access for Word and Excel documents. I guess my biggest surprise has been the poor coverage I get. And I know that is not the iPhone's fault. The good thing is, I do still have my Moto Q and Sprint (though I did cancel it's data plan).

It's kind of funny I'm toting around four devices right now - my iPhone (which does great for email and Safari), my Moto Q for use when I can't get good phone reception with my iPhone, my 5.5G iPod which I use for music in my car and at home I still use my old Dell Axim X3i PPC for streaming Internet stations via WiFi around the house. So much for convergence :).

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
But the other part, about checking the user gude etc, is just wrong, and mean, whether you want to be or not.

No one can tell from a guide, manual, ads, or even a few days of use, exactly what functionality is going to be missed.

... ... ...

:eek:

I'm not trying to be mean, either, btw.
I couldn't agree more. I also did my homework, but miss many things about my Treo. I like my iPhone standard apps, wish there were Apple certified apps we can buy via iTunes(maybe soon). I love the battery life, so much better than 3G on any carrier right now. I miss my password app, maybe 1password will create one for Windows. :laugh2:

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
You don't need to read a manual to figure out if the phone is for you. If you are even remotely concerned that the phone might not be for you, haul your rump down to your local Apple or AT&T store. They have an AMPLE supply of phones on display for you to play with and use. Who says you have to buy one after 20 minutes of playing with it? It took me two weeks to decided I wanted one (after iDay). I knew EXACTLY what I was getting and what I was giving up.

Again, there has to be some personal responsibility when buying things. You can't always blame someone or something else for your own actions or lack of actions.

Now, if after two weeks you decide "hey, I just don't like this interface" or "I think the thing is cheaply made" then take it back before your 14 days are up and bail out. I think 14 days is plenty of time to decide if something is going to work out for you. If after 14 days you still have the phone, you have absolutely nothing to complain about except your own inaction in my view.

By the way, this isn't meant to be a slam on the OP... I mean this in general terms.

TheJimbo

Sep 10, 2007
Upstate NY
I miss my Treo.

Treo = customize ANY setting, send MMS, change ANY sound, install 3rd party apps, copy/paste, shall I go on?
iPhone = uh...........no..........well, it has a cool iPod

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Sitting here looking at my Q vs. my iPhone I can honestly say I would be seriously depressed if I had to go back to my Q. I look at the poorly made Q with it's poorly designed keypad (I always missed key strokes), useless dial, blocky graphics and marginal display... and that IE browser... ICK! It made the EVDO access pretty much useless unless you tethered to a real computer.

No, my iPhone is so much more useful to me. Sure, there are things I would change but there is no way I would go back to the Q or any other device.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Flame me, but i read any post that contains a complaint about not being able to update excel or word documents as a FAKE. first of all, this is an APPLE product. secondly, using a telephone to work on spreadsheets just seems counter-productive.

for me, the iPhone is fun...fun fun fun...i watch video, i listen to music, i surf the web...hell, the iPhone made WEATHER cool, pardon the pun. texting looks better, photos look better, contacts look better.

i had a Treo for work and i hated it. I upgraded to a BB Curve and couldnt even tell you if it has Excel or not since it's so damn difficult to figure out without reading a 120 page manual.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i still love my iPhone. i do think that Apple will continue to add functionality, and maybe even some applications (sold via iTunes), so i'll be an optimist about being able to do even more with it in the future.

I miss my Treo.

Treo = customize ANY setting, send MMS, change ANY sound, install 3rd party apps, copy/paste, shall I go on?
iPhone = uh...........no..........well, it has a cool iPod
i don't miss my treo. that thing was so unstable that i felt that i couldn't rely on it in an emergency, and i had very few 3rd party applications on it (splash ID, ereader, google maps, minitones, and butler). i was a dedicated palm user for 7 years (and even had a treo 600 a few years ago and thought i'd give palm another chance with the 680) but i just got fed up with the problems i was having. and i enjoy using my iPhone ten times more than i did the treo, and it's more stable in its first rev than the 680 was after palm had years to do it right starting with the 600 years ago. :mad:

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
Flame me, but i read any post that contains a complaint about not being able to update excel or word documents as a FAKE. first of all, this is an APPLE product. secondly, using a telephone to work on spreadsheets just seems counter-productive.
Well, I have to say I have absolutely no idea what that means. Are you saying I'm a fake (I assure you I'm not - I'm 58 years old)? Or my post a fake? I updated Word documents all the time on my Q and do miss that ability a lot. Sure I knew the iPhone didn't have this ability, but I was hoping once again some 3rd party would fill this need. And I think they will sooner or later. But since all you do is want to have fun, fun, fun with your iPhone, I can see how you wouldn't see this as a true need.