are you still happy

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Radis

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
after about a week of use, are you still satisfied with your buy or do you regret it in any way, explain, either side. thanks!

ccr78

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
I am still very happy with my purchase, it was worth every cent.

The phone is more than just a phone. It is a camera, web browser, widescreen ipod, etc. I love it.

DeadSpider

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Vacherie,Louisiana
I am still as happy as the night my wife called me on
my boat telling me to come to the dock for my iPhone.

No regrets other than not getting one for my wife too.
Even though she thinks the iPhone is *coughs* dumb.

gannon145

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Melbourne, FL
Short answer: Yes.

Long Answer: Am I disappointed in the stage the iPhone was released? Absolutely. But there isn't a whole lot that can't be fixed with firmware updates. As far as 3G and hardware issues people bought the phone pretty much knowing that would never change, but things like safari crashes, no MMS, copy & paste all can be updated and added. And once these changes get implemented (and they will) this phone will be head and shoulders above anything else.

What some people may not realize is that releasing the iPhone in it's current state was a very good move by Apple. They focused on the absolute basics of the phone and released ver1.0 within a decent time period form the announcement, thus keeping the buzz up to the launch date and now post launch. The question is why. Why was this a good move for them?

The answer is simple. For everyone who bought an iPhone I am guessing, with fair certainty, that over 90% are going to continue to use it even in it's current state. This has given Apple time to absorb all of the critiques and criticism of the community and begin work on the true release of the iPhone which will be ver1.1. Yes it's a tactic people hate, but in the technology market this has been used countless times to keep the focus and direction in line with consumer's wants and needs. I could go on and on, but I think my general point is clear. And I hope you are all as excited as I am so see what happens in the coming months.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I won't answer because people in this forum won't like what I have to say.

Well, what the heck! ;) I like the phone... it's revolutionary in many ways, but I think I'm going to return it. The set of things that I need to do but can't is growing and tipping the scale for me after some of the novelty is wearing off. I think I'll return it this week and either wait till the updates address my main problems or for the next version.

I hope I was wrong and that this forum is mature enough to accept this opinion without responding with attacks.

gannon145

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Melbourne, FL
I won't answer because people in this forum won't like what I have to say.

Well, what the heck! ;) I like the phone... it's revolutionary in many ways, but I think I'm going to return it. The set of things that I need to do but can't is growing and tipping the scale for me after some of the novelty is wearing off. I think I'll return it this week and either wait till the updates address my main problems or for the next version.

I hope I was wrong and that this forum is mature enough to accept this opinion without responding with attacks.
Just curious, but what things are driving you away?

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I'm pleased as punch. Happy as a clam. Happy as a pig in... ah, okay.

I smile every time my iPhone rings. :)

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Just curious, but what things are driving you away?
Here are some of the key things that come to mind:

- Lack of search: I'm used to being able to search my Smartphone for any record that contains a certain word in any of the fields. For example, I have around 1,500 contacts in my phone and if I forget the name of the person I want, but I remember some other businesss detail, I cannot find him/her. I ran into this exact situation today and i had to use my PC to find the information I want. But this goes beyond that. I am used to being able to search all items on the phone quickly when, for example, you're not sure if you stored a piece of info in a separate note or you attached it to a contact.

- IMAP folder management: The iPhone can either show you no folders or ALL your folders in an IMAP account. I have an IMAP account with email being automatically filed into a few folders using rules on the server, but I have MANY other folders in which I file stuff. The iPhone shows me ALL these folders. Other IMAP clients allow you to only show "subscribed" folders, this doesn't seem to be supported.

- Sending email from multiple addresses using the same email account. I have an email account on Fastmail in which I have multiple email addresses for different uses. The iPhone does not support this. I tried creating two accounts (with different names) that use the same login info, but the iPhone got confused and merged them. It seems to store the accounts internally using the username and server.

- No task list. I rely on tasks to do my work and the iPhone does not have a tasks program. I know there are online solutions, but that's not adequate for me.

- Notes do not synchronize with the PC. I also rely on notes and have a lot valuable information in them. My notes did not get copied to the iPhone and if I edit notes on the iPhone they won't get copied to the PC.

- Some key third party apps, like a password manager (a secure program in which you store passwords and other important info to access when you need them). Been using those on Palm and Blackberry devices for a long time and now I'd have to basically find another way to carry/retrieve that info.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
im good with the phone that i have.. 4 gig and all is good the only complaint that i have is 2

1. i don't car fro that damm stocks widget
2. i would like MMS messaging so that i can text all the pics that i take to friends

ok one more....

i would like zoom feature on the camera and id like video recording for the camera....

other then that im all good with it

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Here are some of the key things that come to mind:

- Lack of search: I'm used to being able to search my Smartphone for any record that contains a certain word in any of the fields. For example, I have around 1,500 contacts in my phone and if I forget the name of the person I want, but I remember some other businesss detail, I cannot find him/her. I ran into this exact situation today and i had to use my PC to find the information I want. But this goes beyond that. I am used to being able to search all items on the phone quickly when, for example, you're not sure if you stored a piece of info in a separate note or you attached it to a contact.

- IMAP folder management: iPhone can either show you no folders or ALL your folders in an IMAP account. I have an IMAP account with email being automatically filed into a few folders using rules on the server, but I have MANY other folders in which I file stuff. The iPhone shows me ALL these folders. Other IMAP clients allow you to only show "subscribed" folders, this doesn't seem to be supported.

- Sending email from multiple addresses using the same email account. I have an email account on Fastmail in which I have multiple email addresses for different uses. iPhone does not support this. I tried creating two accounts (with different names) that use the same login info, but the iPhone got confused and merged them. It seems to store the accounts internally using the username and server.

- No task list. I rely on tasks to do my work and the iPhone does not have a tasks program. I know there are online solutions, but that's not adequate for me.

- Notes do not synchronize with the PC. I also rely on notes and have a lot valuable information in them.

- Some key third party apps, like a password manager (a secure program in which you store passwords and other important info to access when you need them). Been using those on Palm and Blackberry devices for a long time and now I'd have to basically find another way to carry/retrieve that info.
I actually agree with all these things, but I still like the iPhone, and I'm going to keep it.

I'm a PDA power user from way back (like many of us here), and I have lots of friends who ask me for my esteemed opinion of the iPhone. Here's what I tell them. The iPhone is not an iPod. It's a cell phone, an iPod, and a PDA all combined into one.

In my opinion, the phone and the iPod are the best implementations of any device out there, heads and shoulders above the competition. Have you ever tried to answer a call waiting call on a Treo? And then try to conference call? Yeah, I could never get it to work either. How ingenius is it to have a "merge" button? The phone is the easiest to use ever.

The iPod is fantastic. Cover Flow is too cool, widescreen video, finding songs is a lot easier now with the Rolodex scroll (and the built-in right border alphabet), etc. etc.

But where the iPhone falls short is in the PDA implementation. It's stripped down, no question about it. I think Apple made a very deliberate design decision here, and said "here are the basics that most people need: a calendar and a contact list, and we're going to make it as easy to use as possible". And they have. Jobs said everyone hates their cell phone, and he set out to challenge that. Well, now the cell phone is easier to use than anybody elses. And so is the PDA part of the iPhone. It's just that the PDA is too stripped down.

But I'm willing to limp along with what I have for now, since the positives outweigh the negatives for me. And the enormous tie breaking factor in all this is the possiblility of software updates. I cannot imagine that we won't see a landscape keyboard in all apps very very soon, and when we do, typing will be much easier. A task list has to be on its way, if not from Apple, then from someone Apple will approve of. Same thing for search: you can't possible have a device this elegant, and not have a search...I'm sure it's coming.

So I'll make do for now, and be very happy to do so. If nothing else, there is no other pocketable device out there that can touch it for internet browsing - heck, I've had to make do with my other PDAs in that they sucked for the internet usage. Now, if the updates do NOT come, then I'll be pretty disappointed, because I need a real PDA, not just an entertainment device. but I'm pretty confident that this device will change how personal devices evolve, and that updates will be a large part of that.

iPhone...you had me at scroll. :)

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
Yes! Still loving it. I'd had a few Safari crashes and once it seemed to lock up (used the soft reset to fix), but in general it's working much better than other devices I've had. I'm looking forward to Apple's promised upgrades.

rj5620

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
I got my phone on iDay, and I feel iDay was really Saturday last since that is when I finally got an iPhone that worked. Now that I have a good one, it will take another week to answer this question if I still like it, so far so good.