Are you upset about losing your .Mac email address

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Having a bunch of sites, I have no shortage of email accounts. I can create as many as I'd like and often do (to my detriment). Despite this, I always held onto my .mac account. While I'm mildly excited about the features of mobileme, I'm not siked about losing my .mac account. Part of the reason I kept it was so that people always knew my address. I assume Apple will keep some sort of forward, but still I don't like the move. Not to mention, it was a vanity email address and now it's kinda self absorbed. @me.com --- AT Me Dot Com.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
like you said, it will probably forward them so you wont have to change all those other accounts registered with the .mac

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
i just watched the keynote and he says that you can continue to use the .mac address

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
Strange move on Apple's behalf... If i ran Mac i would enjoy my product being advertised everytime an email is sent

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
You're not losing your .mac address. You can keep it or move to .me.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Okay, this clarifies it...straight from the MobileMe FAQ:

Will I still be able to use my mac.com email address?
Yes. You may continue to use your current mac.com email address to send and receive email just as you do today. If you have any email aliases at mac.com, they will also continue to work.
Will I be able to use a me.com email address if I want to?
Yes. In addition to your mac.com email address, you will also get an address at me.com with the same username when MobileMe is available. For example, if your current email is emily_parker@mac.com, you will get emily_parker@me.com. You can send from whichever address you choose. The choice is yours. You will still receive email sent to your mac.com address so you won’t miss any emails.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I STILL have no idea why the marketing team chose "MobileMe". Way to ruin the exclusivity and the prestige of the previous "Mac" name.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Agreed. That is one hooooorrible domain name.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i love my .mac email address and i would be seriously unhappy if i was forced to change it. i hope that this is a long-term solution and that they won't say everyone with a .mac address will need to transition to a .me address in a few months. :mad:

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
My mac email is fairly new (I got a .mac account so I could make a web gallery since it is so easy to set up with the ilife suite). I have been slowly changing my other accounts over to my mac email. I am seriously excited about the the push email and calendar with the new mobile me update to .mac. However, I am not too hot on the @me.com vs @mac.com email. People who are not mac people will think I am some crazy person who is so self absorbed that I need an @me.com email? That is what I would think if I did not have a @mac.com email.

I would think that Apple would have some kind of market research to see if current users would like the change. But they are so secretive.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
I would think that Apple would have some kind of market research to see if current users would like the change. But they are so secretive.
Apple? Market research? Come on. Steve gives us what he knows we want. :p

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hmmm... i wonder if i start the 60-day .mac trial now, if that domain will carry over to the MobileMe if i decide to pony up the cash. I was going to wait until MobileMe was implemented to start it to maximize the Push features, but i would really prefer a .mac addy... i think i'll do it now.

Oh, chris, isn't it "psyched"?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, if any non-users still have a 60-day free trial offer for .mac, you can still initiate it and get a .mac addy, and it looks like it should carry over when MobileMe is launched. I just did it.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Okay, I bought an iMac about a month ago, and I did not set up a .mac account when given the opportunity to do so during setup. However, now that the email addy thing is going to be changed, I would really like to get IN on the .mac email addy. How do I go about doing this before the transformation? I went to the Apple site and tried to find out, but every reference seemed to direct me to the MailMe thingie. I thought that with the purchase of the iMac I was entitled to this free 60-day trial offer for the .mac addy. Did I blow it by hesitating?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it. www.mac.com

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Okay, this clarifies it...straight from the MobileMe FAQ.
I think I've mentioned this before in another thread but t would be really useful to be able to hook up your own domain for e-mail. .mac let you "host" your website there but it's a little useless to me since they don't offer scripting or any kind of control. I guess Apple want to sell you Leopard Server...

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
ok well to me the real question is, if after the mobileme is implemented, with you still be able to create a ".mac" account instead of a .me?

I went ahead and created one with the free 60 day trial just to be safe...

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
ok well to me the real question is, if after the mobileme is implemented, with you still be able to create a ".mac" account instead of a .me?

I went ahead and created one with the free 60 day trial just to be safe...
Wow, good point--you know, I don't know. I hope so!