Are you using a third party keyboard on your iPhone or iPad?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
When Apple announced that iOS 8 would support third party keyboards, there was a collective cheer from iPhone and iPad users. Finally, you could gain access to keyboards that have long been available on Android. Flesky, Swype and others could replace your stock keyboard.

Now that the dust has settled and the excitement behind us, what keyboard are you using and why? Is it stock, Flesky, Swype or some other third-party keyboard?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've used SwiftKey several times and I liked it, but I've had to uninstall it because it's too easy to accidentally activate. I wish Apple wouldn't have just put it in the settings app. At least once a day while I was typing I would accidentally hit the keyboard button and switch to that keyboard. It also still had some bugs that needed to be worked out.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I used a lot of 3rd party keyboards but finally came back to stock. I may try again if I get bored but it was nothing new since I use Android devices with 3rd party keyboards long before iOS 8.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I used the stock keyboard for quite awhile but wanted something different. After hearing the praise about SwiftKey, I've installed it and despite it acting strangely, it has been a perfectly good replacement. The thing I like most about it is that it is faster to me to swipe the words than it is to type them. Not always, as I find myself switching between the stock and swiftkey depending on the app.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
I am using swiftkey also but like europa says i sometimes i hit the switch keyboard button by accident. They need to make that button a long press to change the keyboard. and i think that will make it much better to use. and stop people from accidentally hitting it.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I am using swiftkey also but like europa says i sometimes i hit the switch keyboard button by accident. They need to make that button a long press to change the keyboard. and i think that will make it much better to use. and stop people from accidentally hitting it.
Agree. Long press to switch is a great idea. I do the same thing with tapping it by mistake. I'll be typing away and suddenly I'm on a different keyboard it can be aggravating. I would use the stock, but I can't see the predictive words well. I just don't get why they make everything so hard to see and read. That's more frustrating than the issue at hand. So I use SwiftKey and TouchPal. I like how TouchPal presents the emoji.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414813926.784527.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Last edited:

craiggiarc

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 20, 2009
SwiftKey and the Giffy keyboard. Both work great for me but I like the idea of a long press to switch between keyboards.

Now that I'm jailbroken again perhaps a tweak could be written to accommodate this?

bradleyb

Nov 4, 2014
I like 3rd party keyboard. I just wish I could select it as default because the native apple keyboard seems to pop up every now and then.

Nov 7, 2014
I've been using Swiftkey and Adaptxt for the past few weeks. Just downloaded Swype while it's free. Like to keep my options open.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
For anyone that is used Swype and SwiftKey, why do you feel Swype is better? I've downloaded both and at the time had a better experience with SwiftKey. Maybe that has changed.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Another SwiftKey user here - I've disabled it for now also as I repeatedly invoke it by accident. Has anyone else noticed that when the SwiftKey keyboard is currently in use and you're on the homescreen, swipe down to Spotlight and the search box appears but no keyboard is shown? It doesn't happen every time, but does happen fairly frequently.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Another SwiftKey user here - I've disabled it for now also as I repeatedly invoke it by accident. Has anyone else noticed that when the SwiftKey keyboard is currently in use and you're on the homescreen, swipe down to Spotlight and the search box appears but no keyboard is shown? It doesn't happen every time, but does happen fairly frequently.
Yeah. I've noticed that too. I've also had the disappearing keyboard bug where the keyboard randomly disappears and you have to switch keyboard to bring it back. Other than a few issues, it seems stable.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
It made my messaging stock app freeze couple times, never had a problem till I installed the app. Deleted.

bradleyb

Nov 4, 2014
I have had keyboard disappear from messages app and I have to restart app to be able to type again. Sometimes it defaults to apple keyboard and swift key isn't even an option gets frustrating.

craiggiarc

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 20, 2009
Just switched from Swift Key to Swype as it's on sale for free at the moment.

Similar interface but the addition of emojis are nice.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1415487468.536274.jpg