Are you using Touch ID more or less since you got your iPhone 5s?

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I use Touch ID to open my iPhone all the time. I LOVE IT! So easy, convenient and super fast! This was an awesome innovation Apple! Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone was able to change the name of their Fingers from Finger 1, Finger 2, or Finger 3 to any name they wanted yet? I have not been able to do it. I remember on the Special iPhone Event they did show different names instead of it saying Finger 1.

Is this one of the things that has changed after the Special iPhone Event and it was never really an option for the final release of the product? OR is there just a setting I'm missing?
You mean like this?

2yrane6a.jpg

Just go to your fingerprints. Press "Edit". Touch the field you want to edit. DO NOT touch the delete symbol. :)

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I use it but it' been buggy
the fingerprint does not always read (I have done everything I can think off already)
and still asks here and there for App purchases.
I used to like the instinct access to the camera but now you use the fingerprint to open to take a picture from the lock screen ?
My iPad is all crazy since the update I enter my Apple ID and mail passwords over and over.
I still have instant camera access from the lock screen. You just need to unlock it if you want to access the photos app.

lmluciano

Bronze
Jul 1, 2010
I use it all the time, but cannot get it to work in the App Store.

Make sure you set require password to 15 minutes Settings/General/Restrictions/Require Password

Sent using iCafe app

lmluciano

Bronze
Jul 1, 2010
I use Touch ID to open my iPhone all the time. I LOVE IT! So easy, convenient and super fast! This was an awesome innovation Apple! Thanks!
I was wondering if anyone was able to change the name of their Fingers from Finger 1, Finger 2, or Finger 3 to any name they wanted yet? I have not been able to do it. I remember on the Special iPhone Event they did show different names instead of it saying Finger 1.

Is this one of the things that has changed after the Special iPhone Event and it was never really an option for the final release of the product? OR is there just a setting I'm missing?
I've been able to do it. At the Fingerprint screen tap EDIT in the upper right hand corner, then you should be able to edit the names.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I've been able to do it. At the Fingerprint screen tap EDIT in the upper right hand corner, then you should be able to edit the names.
@Imluciano

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I did finally get it to work with the help of @ZR_Yancy in the posts above. However, I do appreciate you letting me know also. I had to give you a Like for the help. Thanks again!

When I got the reply from ZR I kinda was like DUH! If I had only looked around for an Edit selection then I would have never had the question. But its good to know that it was not a bug or that Apple didn't change their mind and take that function away.

Love my Touch ID!

lmluciano

Bronze
Jul 1, 2010
@Imluciano

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I did finally get it to work with the help of @ZR_Yancy in the posts above. However, I do appreciate you letting me know also. I had to give you a Like for the help. Thanks again!

When I got the reply from ZR I kinda was like DUH! If I had only looked around for an Edit selection then I would have never had the question. But its good to know that it was not a bug or that Apple didn't change their mind and take that function away.

Love my Touch ID!
Don't know how I missed his reply, but glad you got it working.

Franknjan

Apr 5, 2011
My phone was having trouble recognizing my left thumb all the time. I decided to add it again so it would be listed twice. That fixed it and it reads it every time now.

Sent using iCafe app

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it's been great for me. The only thing I wish they'd do is add a "scanning" animation on the lock screen while it's reading. Or maybe just change the "> slide to unlock" text to "scanning...". For me there's always that split second of doubt if it has detected my finger or not.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
it's been great for me. The only thing I wish they'd do is add a "scanning" animation on the lock screen while it's reading. Or maybe just change the "> slide to unlock" text to "scanning...". For me there's always that split second of doubt if it has detected my finger or not.
patience_grasshopper.jpg

brdmsd

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Mine works perfectly to turn phone on and to download music and apps. The important thing to remember is that you DON'T press the start button. You merely touch the button with your finger or thumb

Sent using iCafe app

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
I wake my phone with the home home button and let it rest on it for a second and it unlocks. It's super fast. All my app purchases I use the Touch ID. It just works.

Sent using iCafe app

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
I use it constantly. Press the home button to turn on, and just hold my finger on the button for an extra half a second. Boom - unlocked. Super convenient.

Oct 23, 2013
I use Touch ID all the time. I find it extremely useful when I only have 1 hand to use the iPhone. I've recorded 3 fingers. It scans properly 90% . I am a little concerned about where Apple is storing my finger print info.

Sent using iCafe app

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
I use Touch ID all the time. I find it extremely useful when I only have 1 hand to use the iPhone. I've recorded 3 fingers. It scans properly 90% . I am a little concerned about where Apple is storing my finger print info.

Sent using iCafe app
Where do you think it's being stored?

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Apple doesn't store it. It's encrypted and stored on the A7 chip in the phone. Here are more technical details from Apple's website regarding the security of the fingerprints.

"Touch ID does not store any images of your fingerprint. It stores only a mathematical representation of your fingerprint. It isn't possible for your actual fingerprint image to be reverse-engineered from this mathematical representation. iPhone 5s also includes a new advanced security architecture called the Secure Enclave within the A7 chip, which was developed to protect passcode and fingerprint data. Fingerprint data is encrypted and protected with a key available only to the Secure Enclave. Fingerprint data is used only by the Secure Enclave to verify that your fingerprint matches the enrolled fingerprint data. The Secure Enclave is walled off from the rest of A7 and as well as the rest of iOS. Therefore, your fingerprint data is never accessed by iOS or other apps, never stored on Apple servers, and never backed up to iCloud or anywhere else. Only Touch ID uses it and it can't be used to match against other fingerprint databases."