Are you using Touch ID more or less since you got your iPhone 5s?

thegurio

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
I use it all the time, however I have had a pass code on my phone pretty much since I started using them, so to get out of that habit is a bit hard, but I'm 50/50 at the moment. 100% when I remember...

What Apple need to do, and I assume they will shortly, is give devs the option to use it - I know for me personally the banking apps are one that would benefit, plus accounting, possibly email (although I'm sure that would get annoying real quick I'd say) and others where you have 'secure' information that a simple pass code isn't really enough.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
What Apple need to do, and I assume they will shortly, is give devs the option to use it - I know for me personally the banking apps are one that would benefit, plus accounting, possibly email (although I'm sure that would get annoying real quick I'd say) and others where you have 'secure' information that a simple pass code isn't really enough.
Totally agree with you. If the move is to drive users to create more secure passwords, Touch ID is the way to go. I use password managers, but they are still the bane of my existence. I must have 4 login passwords for each site I visit. I suppose I could organize them, but that would be too easy.

Mouse with Touch ID. That would be killer.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I don't agree that they should implement it for sensitive apps that already require a password (like banking). A solid password will be more secure than a fingerprint, and you will need a password anyway to access the info on anything but your iPhone.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I use Touch ID all the time. I find it extremely useful when I only have 1 hand to use the iPhone. I've recorded 3 fingers. It scans properly 90% . I am a little concerned about where Apple is storing my finger print info.

Sent using iCafe app
You can't live in fear.

They say it is only stored on the device. Do you not trust them?

Sent using iCafe app

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Now that we are a few weeks in, I was curious how people are using Touch ID. Have you settled in nicely to the new way of locking/unlocking your iPhone? How many of you have resorted back to your old ways and use the iPhone 5s no different than you have with a previous non-Touch ID iPhone?
Using Touch ID all the time, except when the phone asks for the traditional password. The fact that you cannot set up Touch ID as the sole way of authenticating actually diminishes the security of Touch ID, because anyone who guesses your password will be able to use it to break into your phone. You can set up a complex password, but then you have to do the extra work of inputting the complex password after every power cycle (or if your battery simply dies).

Also, I greatly dislike the fact that apps nag you often to write a review on them, yet the only way to write a review is by entering your traditional password. This is extra work. I cannot think of a logical reason for requiring your traditional password to write a review, but not requiring it to make a (potentially costly) purchase on the App Store.

As an aside, I predict the Touch ID sensor will be incorporated into the next iterations of the Magic Mouse and the Magic Trackpad ("Magic Touch Mouse" has a nice ring to it, eh?). The convenience of fingerprint validation as opposed to entering of traditional passwords is undeniable.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I was wondering if anyone was able to change the name of their Fingers from Finger 1, Finger 2, or Finger 3 to any name they wanted yet? I have not been able to do it. I remember on the Special iPhone Event they did show different names instead of it saying Finger 1.

Is this one of the things that has changed after the Special iPhone Event and it was never really an option for the final release of the product? OR is there just a setting I'm missing?
I really should go back and watch that event. I don't think I ever did. It would be very cool to name the prints, especially since, according to some, you can use other body parts' prints. Someone whose fingers melted off after cleaning up the aftermath of a nuclear reactor meltdown, for example, would be able to name the prints according to the body part they choose in lieu of their tragically lost fingers; e.g., right elbow print, right big toe print. It saddens me greatly to imagine how depressing it must be to see Finger 1 all the time after losing all your fingers due to radiation poisoning or prolonged Krokodil use; it's undoubtedly a constant reminder of the tragedy that befell you.

denzel1989

Bronze
Oct 12, 2013
Now that we are a few weeks in, I was curious how people are using Touch ID. Have you settled in nicely to the new way of locking/unlocking your iPhone? How many of you have resorted back to your old ways and use the iPhone 5s no different than you have with a previous non-Touch ID iPhone?
Yeah absolutely. I use if every time I I lock my device and it works like a charm.

Sc00bz

Oct 8, 2012
I still use it constantly as I did when I purchased the device almost a month ago. It works flawlessly and is much more convenient than I thought it would be initially.

Sent using iCafe app

denzel1989

Bronze
Oct 12, 2013
I use my touch ID so much that when I picked up my girlfriends iPhone 5, I forgot it didn't have it and I held my finger on the home button,and I started wondering why it didn't work lol.

Last edited:

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
I tried using it regularly when I first got the phone on launch day, but it was not reading my prints consistently. I set it up a couple of different times without much success. I tried it again here about a week ago and it seems to be working much better now. I like the feature a lot.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I tried using it regularly when I first got the phone on launch day, but it was not reading my prints consistently. I set it up a couple of different times without much success. I tried it again here about a week ago and it seems to be working much better now. I like the feature a lot.
Be sure to scan it in almost midway between the tip of the finger and the knuckle. I initially tried capturing and scanning my thumb at a 75° angle (since that's how I typically press the home button) and it didn't work well since the print quality is poor in that area. It works great now that I captured and scan it flat.

gun138

Sep 19, 2009
When I'm in a hurry I don't use it. It seems to me if I'm rushing to get into my phone I maybe moving my finger little bit and it says try again, try again, try again so when I need to get into my phone immediately I just throw in my passcode

gun138

Sep 19, 2009
Also if you do a hard reset on your iPhone I.e. Holding down the lock button and the home button until the Apple shows up, you will have to renew your App Store fingerprint setting. I use it just going to that settings and then turn off then on again. You will be prompted to put in your app store password then
image.jpg

denzel1989

Bronze
Oct 12, 2013
I always use the touch ID it's quicker than the pass code feature. I haven't used the passcode feature in a while. Only when my phone reboots or if it dies.