Are you willing to pay more for retina display iPad apps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chris, Mar 7, 2012.

?

Are you willing to pay more for iPad HD apps?

1. Yes, I'd pay for apps that offer support.

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. No, I expect all of my current apps to provide updated support for the retina display on my iPad.

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

The naming convention of the iPad HD (if it's called that) presents a number of issues for apps that are currently in the store. Many of them use the 'HD' tagline. What happens when they don't support the retina display. Do you expect the developers will update the graphics or will they start releasing new apps that offer support for the iPad HD.

Are you willing to pay more for iPad HD apps?

2. Slims even

Slims even New Member

I paid Apple the same price for the heavily featured new iPad. That should set the tone for now at least. Apps should stay the same but give us more. They ( developers ) are very important but it's not time to raise prices yet. Maybe a slight raise for exceptional apps when the 5th gen iPad hits the streets.

3. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I hope they would recognize that there are some of us that purchased iPad 2 less than 6-months ago. I for one will skip the new iPad. While I would enjoy the retina display on my iPad, I would not want to pay a price increase because an app supports that feature. I'd be paying for something I wouldn't get the benefit of.

I don't recall seeing price increases when the retina display came on iPhone 4. Did I miss that?

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

4. Beemer

Beemer Member
    Bronze

For now, I'm going to say no way because I don't think it costs them anything extra to develop apps for Retina Display. If I am wrong and it is proven there is an extra cost, then I might be more understanding.

5. iByron

iByron Member
    Bronze

Nope, bought it once and upgrades are free lol

iOS 5.1 & ICS lover

6. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

Hmmmm...depends on the app.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

7. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

I paid 3 bucks for angry birds space and now it wants me to buy more levels....so I did pay more lol, and never will again.

8. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I would not as some apps are overpriced as it is and attempt to nickel and dime you to death via in app purchases...

9. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

Usually, developers "trim down" their graphics in an application in order to reduce the payload size of the setup package. So, to have a retina-compatible application, they will go back and replace all the graphics, images, and app icon with higher resolution versions. Most of the time, this requires a recompile and rebuild, and thus, regenerating the setup package. Finally, the app description has to be updated before resubmitting to the AppStore.

So, yes, converting an app to be retina compatible is not an effortless task.

Sent from my iPad 3 (64GB)[/I]

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

That may be the case for re-writes but new apps should not require any more effort to create.

11. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

An established developer that has written non-retina applications for iPad 1 and 2 will have to buy an iPad 3 in order to test their software. Using the emulator will only get you so far, but even it isn't retina-equivalent.

So, yes, it costs a developer more to develop a retina-compatible app for an iPad 3 (a.k.a. The "New iPad") ;-)

Sent from my iPad 3 (64GB)

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I still would not want to pay more; however; if I was a developer I'd want to charge more :-P