Around-the-ear vs. On-ear?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Hey there,

I am looking into buying new headphones to replace my V-Moda Crossfade lp because I've abused it enough for the past year and in need of a good replacement. lol

Anyway, I have been looking at the Beats Wireless and I think I like it. I am not a fan of Beats because its "too trendy" and I heard that it's price is way, way more than its quality, especially compared to Sennheiser and BOSE. And also the material is weak?

I need bluetooth headphones, though, that can work with regular cable when I am at home and bluetooth when I am at the gym or outside. I have read and watched several reviews and they all say that it has great quality for a bluetooth headset, and that's a good thing. It also works with the cable and supposedly decent noise-cancellation (although not certain about this) which is another plus.

The only concern I have with them is the fact that they're on-ear rather than around-the-ear, and I am used to the latter than the former. I don't remember the last time I had on-ear headphones, to be honest, and all the stores here are out of stock of the Beats Wireless so I don't know where I can try them, I'm having my Dad purchase them from NY.

Any suggestions about how comfortable on-ear headphones are? I know this is strictly opinionated and preference-based but some pointers or reasons why you think on-ear or around-the-ear is more comfortable would be appreciated. And by the way, do on-ear headphones fall off easily?

Thank you

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Decided I am going with the wireless Beats. They not only look great and stylish but they are also bluetooth-operated and can be used with a 3.5mm cable, so that's a plus. As I said above, I've never tried on-ear headphones, or at least don't remember doing so, but I am hoping it's going to fit well since it's adjustable anyway.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
TarekElsakka
my son has a bunch of head sets.
1st Beats used to be made by Monster and are now their own Company

The wirless get great reviews (we do not have them)?
Son has Solo in purple (for fashion statements) LOL
He uses Numark for his Drum set.
Then we have wireless for travel http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/19/revie...h-headphones-cans-this-good-should-cost-more/
they actually work great and battery last long too. There is not heartbreak if they get lost or break because of the price. They are actually well made.
On the computer he uses those
http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/gamecom-commander
and he has 2 more sets one for X-box and for playstation.

Son likes his Solo Beats he has broken his 1st pair so we got the insurance from BestBuy with them.
The first were Monster and these are a little different and better made in sons opinion.
I personally do only like the in earphones. I have Beats from Monster (mine are pink of course) they don't make them anymore.
Hubby likes the new earpods for the gym.

Anyway we like Beats and compare to some other Headphones they are not to bad in price.
They are nice looking and provide great sound. Who want to look like a air traffic controller anyway?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Beats aren't bad. Ive thought about trying the wireless ones. Don't know that they're deserving of the following they have but they are pretty good. Then again anything can become trendy and gain a huge following. I like over ear for just listening to music or watching video while sitting. Prefer in ear when working out.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
imutter thank you very much for sharing all this info. I like those white over-ear head phones, I think they look very similar to the Beats. I am just taking advantage of the fact that my Dad's in NY to get the Beats because they cost almost double the price over here and are out of stock (at least the Wireless ones).

aggieman thank you for your reply. I agree with you about in-ear being the best while working out. I have Bluetooth behind-the-neck Nokias but they keep dialing numbers, switching songs, pausing and playing, etc. on their own, apparently they aren't as "splash-resistant" as they claim on the box. Sweat ruined them. :(

I might just get cheap, sporty Adidas ones for working out and use the Beats for everything else.