Article from business week mag. check the date?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
Most of this stuff we know.....but is this date a typo? (link at bottom ):cool:

JUNE 25, 2007

ON THIS PAGE

Talk Show

Five Things To Know About The iPhone

Talk Show

"[It] is so far off the scale, it defies any attempts to make sense out of it." —David Menlow, president of research firm IPO Financial Network, on the bonanza awaiting Blackstone Group Chief Executive Stephen Schwarzman when the private equity firm goes public in the coming months, as reported by The Washington Post.

BUYER'S GUIDE
Five Things To Know About The iPhone

1. WHERE CAN I GET ONE?
The iPhone goes on sale at 6 p.m. on June 29 in AT&T (formerly Cingular) stores, Apple outlets, and the Apple.com Web site. If a store is sold out, you can still buy a phone (and select a plan) for later pickup or delivery. Officials at the companies believe it will be available to anyone who wants one by the end of July. Both AT&T and Apple are hiring additional staff to handle the early crush of sales. But as Apple has been training its store and telephone support staff since May to walk customers through the iPhone's many features, you may want to head there first. These folks, after all, will let you play with the gear.

2. WHO'S IT FOR?
The iPhone is being sold as an all-in-one replacement for your iPod, BlackBerry, and digital camera. Someday it may be just that. But $499 is a lot to spend for only 4 gigabytes of memory. And don't forget the $60 a month you may pay for service and a data plan. Such an expensive device should appeal to gadget lovers who want to connect to their corporate e-mail and other serious work applications, though typing may be awkward on the virtual keyboard. The phone allows you to grab personal e-mail from services such as Google (GOOG ) and Yahoo!, but security issues may prompt big employers to prevent access to corporate accounts. Ask your IT folks if they have a plan. And there's no easy way to sync up with Microsoft Outlook e-mail.

3. SHOULD I WAIT UNTIL THEY WORK OUT THE KINKS?
There are sure to be glitches in this first version. The good news: Apple plans automatic updates you can download when you sync the phone with iTunes. Slow connection speeds will be mitigated by built-in Wi-Fi that lets you Web-surf at broadband hotspots.

4. WHAT IF I GET IT HOME AND DON'T LIKE IT?
AT&T usually offers 30-day, no-questions returns, but here it's deferring to Apple's 14-day return policy. Wireless service problems should be directed to AT&T; Apple will handle most hardware and software issues. Ask about warranty coverage; it is usually limited to 90 days and doesn't cover breakage. Apple sells extended warranties.

5. HOW'S IT COMPARE WITH OTHER HIGH-END PHONES?
The upside: The iPhone's "multi-touch" screen is simplicity itself, ditching mechanical buttons to free up screen space. The display adjusts to save power. The downside: iPhone is locked in to AT&T's network. Roaming fees can pile up if you're on other GSM networks, such as Rogers Wireless (RG ) in Canada and Orange in Europe. You may not get a data connection everywhere. And the battery isn't replaceable, so keep a charger handy.

By Cliff Edwards

http://www.businesssweek.com/magazine/content/07_26/c4040006.htm#ZZZ5J94SW2F?campaign_id=rss_daily

That being said...I don't think this is from the horse mouth....

Saiko

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
Hmmm... if you watch the movie on that site HERE, it gives reference to a payment plan later on... right HERE Does this mean we have confirmation on a plan? I won't believe it until we hear it from the mouth of Apple or AT&T, but $60 is MUCH cheaper than I thought for a voice and data plan (2 of the ones that seem to be required) I was expecting $80 - $100 a month required!

hmlaa

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
Hmmm... if you watch the movie on that site HERE, it gives reference to a payment plan later on... right HERE Does this mean we have confirmation on a plan? I won't believe it until we hear it from the mouth of Apple or AT&T, but $60 is MUCH cheaper than I thought for a voice and data plan (2 of the ones that seem to be required) I was expecting $80 - $100 a month required!

i don't think its 80 or 100 dollars for a data plan

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Source? haha it could very well be this price. Lets just hope it isn't!
The most I've heard is $40. Im an AT&T customer, and it the data plans they offer, it seems likely it will be around $40. Currently I only pay $25 for my phones data plan (unlimited data, unlimited M2M messaging, 200 'other' messages), but that is because their reps are idiots and gave me a plan they shouldn't have for my phone (PDA phone). I should pay $40, so I think that is what the iPhone will have. they don't even list any plans over $45 anymore (Looks like they changed their plans today), excluding blackberry,which tops out at $60

Saiko

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
The most I've heard is $40.
Yeah man, of course... I'm talking about data and voice plan combined. $40 for a voice plan and $40 for a data plan and maybe more if texting won't be included with the data plan. Would be between $80 and $100.