Article on 3G dead zones

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That's a very interesting read. People are pretty hellbent on blaming Apple for this issue, but this article brings that commonly-held notion into question a bit.

Thanks for sharing.

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
If anything, hopefully its at least a little clarification on this issue.

I am fortunate that I live in an area that has wide 3G coverage, and have yet to have issues. But I also hear a lot of people are having 3G coverage issues, hopefully this article can clear up some loose ends for them.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
How do we still know it's not the chip that is having issues with the reception?
(I have not read the entire article yet).

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Hmm...interesting theory. I've never thought about that at all honestly. But it does make a lot of sense.

I would hate to think that ATT would do that on purpose; unless they are trying to keep quiet about it.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
The huge differences from one neighborhood to another is concerning. When you zoom in on my city, the towers in the outer suburbs all have really great reception yet the tower(s) closest to my home downtown so little to zero reception.

I've suspected AT&T for a while now. Right after purchasing on launch day I set up an appointment at the GB because I was unsatisfied with the 3G reception. Of course, when I went into the Apple store I had 5 full bars of 3G reception. I then realized the phone works perfectly well when it is in range of a working tower. Since I was able to get excellent reception away from my home I figured the 3G antennae really couldn't be the culprit. If that were the case it wouldn't work anywhere.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
It's weird. On the AT&T wireless website, it shows my town as having 3G (this is new). Well, I went into the bluest of blue on the map today and enabled 3G and I got nothing but Edge. Not even a little 3G.

I know my 3G works as I was in NYC when I first got the phone and the 3G antenna was working VERY well.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I think this is funny. Taken from www.attwireless.com coverage map. Click on Learn More.

Important Information About the Coverage Map

Map may include areas served by unaffiliated carriers, and may depict their licensed area rather than an approximation of their coverage. Actual coverage area may differ substantially from map graphics, and coverage may be affected by such things as terrain, weather, foliage, buildings and other construction, signal strength, customer equipment and other factors. AT&T does not guarantee coverage. Charges will be based on the location of the site receiving and transmitting the call, not the location of the subscriber. Your phone's display does not indicate the rate you will be charged.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
An interesting point at the end of the original article states that even in major metropolitan areas (such as NYC), reception can be poor not due to poor AT&T tower coverage, but due to a saturation of the system from so many iPhone users in said areas. So do they need more towers in those areas or ones that can handle higher bandwidth?

Based on comparisons to European 3G networks, I'd guess we're hurtin' for bandwidth over here.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'm guessing Europe or asia, 3G network has been quite a long while...
I think, here in US, 3G is being around very recently, and now with iPhone 3G, it just so sudden as many people who lined up to get the phone... started to use 3G network... (well, include myself.. :p), that can be one of the cause of the problem..?

I read somewhere that ATT is going to build more coverage by end of this year... so hopefully, by end of this year, 3G coverage will get better and better, so we all get better connection....

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I guess AT&T simply cannot afford to maintain a decent 3G network. I mean come on people, they only made just over $15 billion in profits last year. Don't expect too much from them. And they just recent announced some $3.5 billion in profits for the last quarter. We're in a recession people, give AT&T a break!

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
An interesting point at the end of the original article states that even in major metropolitan areas (such as NYC), reception can be poor not due to poor AT&T tower coverage, but due to a saturation of the system from so many iPhone users in said areas. So do they need more towers in those areas or ones that can handle higher bandwidth?

Based on comparisons to European 3G networks, I'd guess we're hurtin' for bandwidth over here.
coverage in Manhattan is spotty, at best. when i less medicated, i might say it downright sucks. i work in Midtown West/Hell's Kitchen and get almost no 3G service. ten blocks up and west of the park, service is fine. get in the park and forget about it. im on wifi at home in BK so i don't worry about my lack of 3G reception as much, but it is a drag.

Sep 1, 2007
West Central Florida

In my personal non-professional opinion, you had it nailed before, when you said that they me be "throttling" the network..
The reason I say that is because where I'm at here (western FL, 45 mins north of Tampa) 3g Just became available the other day. It was activated at 9 in the morning apparently, and I only noticed that it was on because I had done a restore and hadn't turned off the 3g coverage..

The prior few days I had turned it on and of periodically to see if any 3g signal would appear, as I was told by an Apple store guy in Tampa that an AT&T rep had spoken to him about the end of august for the three counties north of Tampa. I got blips here and there with the 3g icon popping up and all, but it would disappear as quickly as it came. Then the night prior to "activation" I kept loosing service on edge, so I activated 3g and still nothing. I turned it back off, tried to reset network settings, and still nothing. I went home, got wifi, and bam, back comes 5 bars of edge. Turned off wifi, back to no service. I couldn't figure out the problem and I couldn't be without the next day, so with 3g off I restored and set up as a new phone. Nothing changed until the next morning, as restores take me 3+ hrs every time, so I set it and went to bed. I woke up to edge working fine, perhaps 3g, as wifi was connected so I didn't know until the icon popped up later in the day.. I also woke up to about 25 text messages so I suppose the service crash was ok, it saved me being kept up from constant text!

Sorry for the long winded response, it was a lot to type considering my keyboard lag... At least 3g is steaming along here, I never really get any hiccups in service, and it's blazing fast compared to the old edge speeds around here, although that was also better in Tampa.

I suppose all that's left are my dissapointments with the plastic case, and tea stained look of the screen from my 3g... Oh yeah, that and all the other problems everyone else has! Haha!

I do prefer v1, but now my network supports 3g so I'm somewhat content

Again, sorry for long windedness, but I hope I explained why I believe that initial statement you had made!

Take care,
Mark

Edit- I'm glad it didn't crash as usual, I would never have been able to replicate my Stephen king novel above... Although I suppose that may have been a benefit to everyone!

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
Heres another article about another test done. They recreated the first one.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ne_3g_doesnt_suffer_from_faulty_hardware.html

Seems that AT&T might really be to blame.
It still might not be AT&T.

With the 2.0.2 update I get much better 3G reception.

To me that would mean it's a software/firmware issue which in turn would put it back on Apple or the makers of the chip (The only way it would be the chip manufacturer is that if the update included a firmware fix from the chip manufacturer).

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
It still might not be AT&T.

With the 2.0.2 update I get much better 3G reception.

To me that would mean it's a software/firmware issue which in turn would put it back on Apple or the makers of the chip (The only way it would be the chip manufacturer is that if the update included a firmware fix from the chip manufacturer).
The article touched on this and it said:

The iPhone using updated 2.0.2 software reported slightly better numbers, but Bluetest indicated there was no statistical significance, as a difference of up to 1dB in the results "can occur due to measurement uncertainty and random fluctuations."
So while you have seen an increase, according to this article, it doesn't make much of a statistical difference in the test chamber.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I guess my thing is that if other 3G phones work fine in the same area with AT&T then that would lead me to believe it's either the hardware or the software that is not working and not AT&T.

Then again it could be AT&T because I hear that is why the BB Bold hasn't come out yet, because they are seeing the same issues with 3G.

The 2.0.2 gives me full service in areas that I couldn't even get 3G to work before. Maybe I am just one of the lucky few.