As successful? [POLL]

How successful will the iPhone 3G be?

• The iPhone 3G will be more successful than the iPhone.

Votes: 46 55.4%
  • The iPhone 3G will be as successful as the iPhone.

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • The iPhone 3G will be less successful than the iPhone.

Votes: 14 16.9%

• Total voters
May 6, 2007
United States
Will the iPhone 3G be as successful as the iPhone or not? I personally feel that it will be because of the slim price, but there is also the issue that many v1 owners are content with their current phone.

So, what do you think? Will it be as successful or not? Or will it be MORE successful?

THEN, TELL US WHY! Thanks guys.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
It will be more so because of the price. Every 10yr old in the country will have one.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Given the price point and new functionality I think it will be even more successful than v1 iPhone, especially overseas.

May 6, 2007
United States
Thanks for the replies guys. I agree with both of you. I never thought about overseas, so now my vote definitely goes to it being more successful than the original. In 70 countries, and with a low price, so many people will purchase it.

Did they mention during the keynote, which I did not watch, how many iPhones have been sold to date?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
of course it will depend on what you call "successful" as I do agree that maybe more V2 phones might be sold but V1 phones might soon become a premium in areas without that particular coverage. I know that I wouldn't trade my brighter superior screen for the later models as is... Also the unlock factor and jailbreak factor plays a role as well. I'm thinking quality over quality, anyway. I'm sure I'm in the minority..?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
of course it will depend on what you call "successful" as I do agree that maybe more V2 phones might be sold but V1 phones might soon become a premium in areas without that particular coverage. I know that I wouldn't trade my brighter superior screen for the later models as is... Also the unlock factor and jailbreak factor plays a role as well. I'm thinking quality over quality, anyway. I'm sure I'm in the minority..?
Not in the minority, it appears a lot more people oppose V2 than one would initially expect.

EDIT: Well technically, it is the minority - but you're by no means by yourself. :)

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
iPhone 3G is gonna blow up in europe. Also with exchange support, the iPhone has a whole new market in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if they sold 10 million + from July 11th till the end of the year.

May 6, 2007
United States
Thanks again for the replies guys.

Ryan, those are some great points. Companies in the United States will start to open up to using the iPhone, and employee sales will boom.

I agree that countries around the world will buy iPhones like crazy :D.

I would say 10 million by the end of year is a bit much, because it will take a bit for the idea to settle into other other countries. My guess is that 12 million will be sold by July 11th, 2009.

It's time for some math. 12 million over a year would be 32,876 a day or so, and I am assuming that about 65% of daily sales will be in the United States, so that would be 21,369 per day in the United States.

This to me seems like a pretty high number, but considering how many people switch phones every day, and considering how many people will be at the many stores across the nations, it may not be so unreasonable. I will figure some other numbers out later and edit this post :).

Eric Johnson

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I'm going to have to say the same thing everyone is saying here; its going to be more successful because of the price. It went from $400 to $200. You simply can't beat that.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
I'm going to have to say the same thing everyone is saying here; its going to be more successful because of the price. It went from $400 to $200. You simply can't beat that.

Yeah its gonna be more successful on a monetary aspect and in the population category. Every Homeless Harry is gonna have it. I feel it will be less successful due to the new activation process, contract extension & a lower resale value. You wont see many of them on Ebay because 3G verison will not be a rare, exclusive commodity.

May 6, 2007
United States
I agree with you guys that it will be much more common in the world, but there will always be the people who want to be different, and will thereforee not purchase it. And then there will be people like me, keeping our geezerish iPhones :).

iphonebob

Jul 8, 2007
iPhone 3g Success

Will the iPhone 3G be as successful as the iPhone or not? I personally feel that it will be because of the slim price, but there is also the issue that many v1 owners are content with their current phone.

So, what do you think? Will it be as successful or not? Or will it be MORE successful?

THEN, TELL US WHY! Thanks guys.
My .02 says that this will be a large success. Even though features others want are still not rolled out, Apple continues to improve. 3G ---- Great, GPS ---- much anticipated, Enterprise support (although not for everyone) will be the biggest addition to this upgrade.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I think it will be more successful than the first-gen iPhone.

Don't underestimate just how many businesss users will jump on the bandwagon who held off the first time around. The MS Exchange functionality is going to be huge for many people.

May 6, 2007
United States
Very true, there are so many businessspeople, and now they will be much more open to the iPhone 3G. Companies will also jump for it, and iPhones will filter down the ranks of companies.

So I see that 5 people have said it will be less successful. What are your reasons? Why will it not sell as well?

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I say its sales numbers will improve slightly, not so much because the iPhone 1.5 is vastly superior to iPhone 1.0 but because of the firmware update (2.0). Now the iPhone will be able to tackle the businesss users with Exchange support. It will also appeal to a wider audience due to native apps which will be a boon for users and developers alike.

The firmware 2.0 would have spiked iPhone 1.0 sales just as much.

May 6, 2007
United States
I say its sales numbers will improve slightly, not so much because the iPhone 1.5 is vastly superior to iPhone 1.0 but because of the firmware update (2.0). Now the iPhone will be able to tackle the businesss users with Exchange support. It will also appeal to a wider audience due to native apps which will be a boon for users and developers alike.

The firmware 2.0 would have spiked iPhone 1.0 sales just as much.
I understand what you are saying, but do common users know enough about firmware to have this as a decision-swayer?

I think that the AppStore was planned to come at the perfect time of course, causing so many people who have stayed away to lean towards an iPhone.

Apple's master plan to slowly take over the mobile phone industry is slowly unraveling, people!

blulegend

Jun 12, 2008
I think it will only be "as successful" simply because of the increase in monthly cost. Many ppl look at the purchase price as a hump to get over and then it's smooth sailing after that with regard to a reasonable price plan (which for the iPhone was more than most were previously paying without data). Add another $15/mo and it may turn a lot of ppl away due to the perception of having to go over a smaller hump with a cheap entry cost only to endure a long slow ascent of increased monthly cost, a constant reminder of truly paying for this top-of-the-line gadget.

For the users for whom monthly cost is no factor, many probably already have V1 and may be content with the free firmware upgrade and only 1 year left on their contract.

And by "as-successful" I mean in the first year after going on sale in the US and compared to last year's US sales only.

I will, however, probably be one of the new adopters of the 3G even though I still can't stomach the increased monthly cost.

RLK

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Indialantic, FL
It will be a success around the world, but a failure in the US. It is because of the lack of 3G coverage, the additional $15 costs from ATT, activating only in stores, the lack of new features, and a release of a new 32GB version around the end of the year.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
except for all of the millions of people that didn't want to pay $400 for an iPhone.... and now only have to pay $200.

and there IS a lot of 3G coverage in the US. It's not everywhere, but it is far from lacking in the areas where it counts.