As successful? [POLL]

How successful will the iPhone 3G be?

• The iPhone 3G will be more successful than the iPhone.

Votes: 46 55.4%
  • The iPhone 3G will be as successful as the iPhone.

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • The iPhone 3G will be less successful than the iPhone.

Votes: 14 16.9%

• Total voters

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
More successful. As for price, if you want an iPhone now, you can get it. And with GPS, 3G, and MobileMe abilities, it's much more appealing to a lot of people.

- John

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This isn't the best of maps, but it shows 3G coverage. It may be in areas where it counts, but is pretty spotty.

May 6, 2007
United States
I don't believe that there IS a lot of 3G coverage. From the list of US cities from AT&T's website, most 3G coverage is in mahor cities. See for yourself at http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/popUp_3g.jsp

It may be true that it is really only in major cities right now, but it is also true that a majority of people live in major cities in certain areas. Technologies usually start in major cities and then filter out to surrounding areas, so it should be a short matter of time before we can all get 3G access.

RLK

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Indialantic, FL
For the people living in big cities, yes it may make sense to get the 3G. But, for the most of the people not living in a 3G area, it does not make sense.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
iPhone 3G is gonna blow up in europe. Also with exchange support, the iPhone has a whole new market in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if they sold 10 million + from July 11th till the end of the year.
You are correct. One of the things that my team handles here at work is the purchasing of cell phones for company use (5,000+ employee company) and just this morning our CIO called over and asked us to make arrangements to get 5 of the 3G phones through our AT&T rep for testing at corporate and possibly as future replacements for all the Sprint PDA (6700, 6800 and 6900 models). The phones cost and the new support for exchange has made this a viable replacement in businesss use in addition to the great demand on the standard consumer. I suspect we are going to see the 3G iPhone as one of the new businesss products of the year.

May 6, 2007
United States
You are correct. One of the things that my team handles here at work is the purchasing of cell phones for company use (5,000+ employee company) and just this morning our CIO called over and asked us to make arrangements to get 5 of the 3G phones through our AT&T rep for testing at corporate and possibly as future replacements for all the Sprint PDA (6700, 6800 and 6900 models). The phones cost and the new support for exchange has made this a viable replacement in businesss use in addition to the great demand on the standard consumer. I suspect we are going to see the 3G iPhone as one of the new businesss products of the year.
That is interesting yet predictable. I wouldn't be surprised if, by July of 2010, the iPhone is the most used phone in businesss. Apple will keep doing their best to appeal to the businesss world, and it appears that they are doing more than most companies. It will only take a little while for companies to start to adapt to the iPhone. Then it will boom in sales.

Keep in mind that there are about 25 million people in the 10 biggest U.S. cities alone, so it is by no margin a small population of 3G users. Also, some of the 3G coverage covers the metropolitan areas around cities. Hundreds of millions of people live in the major metropolitan areas of the United States.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Definitely more successful. The full MS Exchange support alone will assure it.
Well, that is software that will be available on the current iPhone. Do you mean it will drive sales of iPhone 3G?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Well, that is software that will be available on the current iPhone. Do you mean it will drive sales of iPhone 3G?
well, it can't drive sales for iPhone1...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that's true, but iPhone2 will also be international... which is an even bigger market.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
I voted for as successful, but I actually think it will be more so because of the businesss aspect. What's kind of weird is that my company is still considering whether or not it will allow the iPhone to access its Exchange server. What's to consider? They need to do it.

I really don't think it will completely lose its exclusivity. Of course, there are the people, like many of you, who are totally pleased with their current iPhones and do not see the benefit in extending their contracts another two years and paying more per month. There are some people who flat out despise Apple and its products (inferiority complex). There are some businesssmen who love their Blackberrys.

Besides those special cases, there are also plenty of people who think they don't even need internet on their phones, and even more who simply aren't willing to pay for it. Why get on a 450 minute plan for almost $90 a month with the iPhone when you could get that many minutes with another provider for less than half that price? It's not like this $200 price tag suddenly makes the iPhone just like any other phone in terms of price. You still have to pay a huge price up front -- I wouldn't pay $200 including a discount for signing a two-year contract for any other phone ever -- and an even bigger price each month to access 3G and get text messages. All these people saying kids are going to have them -- maybe a very few spoiled kids. I couldn't imagine asking my parents to pay $200 up front and $90 a month for a phone for myself when I was a teenager. They would have laughed in my face.

It will do marginally better than the first iPhone in terms of regular consumers, but it will do amazingly better in the businesss world.

in2tech

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
www.sportsdepotinc.com
I think it will do better for reason's other people think. International sales in I think 60 countries, businessses using it now because of app's and the email, and the price. It appears that with each version the price will drop (like most of the ipods did), or you will get more storage,color options, and features for the same or higher price. Depends on Apple's strategy. I think they want phones in consumers hands right now, so when you show a non iPhone user yours they might decide to buy one. Remember the first users of the Ipods when people saw the earbuds and wondered what it was an wanted one. The consumers are GREAT sales people for a popular product and that is what Apple is counting on.
I also beieve Apple holds on to some features for future versions. In other words they say, what will sell the next iPhone, and hold some features they could add for future phone. Can't give everyone everything they want at once. Have to add features to make customers keep coming back fo rmore, and to atract new ones.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I say its sales numbers will improve slightly, not so much because the iPhone 1.5 is vastly superior to iPhone 1.0 but because of the firmware update (2.0). Now the iPhone will be able to tackle the businesss users with Exchange support. It will also appeal to a wider audience due to native apps which will be a boon for users and developers alike.

The firmware 2.0 would have spiked iPhone 1.0 sales just as much.
You just might be the most intelligent person on this site! I really think the 3G iPhone should be considered a 1.5 revision, not a completely new 2.0 species.

Since this thread is a poll, chalk me up to being one of the "higher sales for the 3G iPhone" people. Even if 90% of the 1st gen iPhone owners don't upgrade, there are still 69 more countries that are going to sell the iPhone. I just heard Jobs say that Apple will have an announcement later this year regarding sales of the 3G iPhone in China and the Soviet Republic. If the iPhone comes to China, Apple will sell tens of millions of iPhones. China has 1.3 BILLION people right now so 13 million iPhone owners represents only 1.3% of the population. Analysts predict 18 million iPhones sold by the end of 2008. If China gets the iPhone, that number will be entirely too low.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
China has 1.3 BILLION people...
and how many of those do you think can afford an iPhone?

I agree with your overall point, but i don't think the iPhone's going to be as big in China as you might think.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
At this low price compared to the 650$ with tax on V1, no way iPhone one can surpass it. Plus a lot of people skip first gens to let other people be guinea pigs.

May 6, 2007
United States
At this low price compared to the 650$ with tax on V1, no way iPhone one can surpass it. Plus a lot of people skip first gens to let other people be guinea pigs.
That's true, I know a huge number of people that decided to wait, worrying that there would be tons of bugs with the original, which didn't happen. Apple did a great job making the first one relatively bug-free, and they will do the same with the second. The only difference is that people will be more confident and more willing to pay. The price opens up a whole new market, as well. We have now reached 65 voters :).

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
definitely the more successful because of the price
everyone i have talked to said they wont get it because of its 600 wait 400 dollar price tag

now for 200 its the same price as a normal phone