Aside from 3G, is there any other reason to upgrade from iPhone 1.0 to 2.0?

iLami

Jul 6, 2007
Don't get me wrong, I want 3G, but trying to figure out what else is gonna justify this $199 or $299 purchase. I know there are many threads regarding the "Inside Scoop" on the 3G iPhone. I have read them, and am not seeing much aside from 3G (which I suppose is why the name of this forum is 3G iPhone)

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
It has GPS

IMO, it looks nicer.

...and also, just because its the new one.

iLami

Jul 6, 2007
lmao...I just saw the video...how many times does Steve Jobs say "Its really nice...its really beautiful...its really great...lol...its like he is trying to hypnotize us for his failure to get us all the extra stuff we have been telling him to put in there for us...

But I am a fool, Ill proilly buy it anyway

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Well, GPS has been a long wanted feature for me, so that's an immediate draw-in. But I must agree with Steve; this thing is really nice. Just watch the new ad. When it comes out of the brief case, that right there will convince you. Very sleek.

By the way, welcome to EIC.

- John

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
The two big ones for me are the Exchange/ActiveSync support and the native games / applications. But I can get that with the 2.0 firmware on my current phone.

3G would be very nice, but I can wait a while... it's not enough to make me stand in line on iDay 2.0.

GPS, neat feature but kind of useless to me as I don't often travel to places I'm not already familiar with. I'll use it about as often as I do the GPS in my car... less than once a month. Again, not something that will make me race to the store.

I was hoping for video, MMS support, cut-n-paste, bigger screen, faster processor, or some other major enhancement. Like I said, I did get two major improvements I've been waiting with Exchange and native apps... but it looks like those aren't unique to the 3G phone.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Oh yeah, and I should also add that 3G towers aren't exactly common place all over the US... so in Chicago I'll probably get spotty to ok service whereas in the town in which I live I'll probably not have access to 3G for some time. That means the iPhone 3G will default to Edge a lot of the time (if not most of the time) and negate any real gains in speed.

Now, if I lived in Europe where they're ahead of the 3G curve it might be different. How did the US get to be so freaking backwards in cell technology? Especially AT&T... the once great Goliath of the communication world...

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
And don't forget with the new phone you will pay the extra 10$ for 3G service. i am assuming that will be regardless of where you are or the coverage available, so that will come with a price. It sounds lame, but that alone is really making me second guess if I will get one. The one thing that might (highly emphasize might) make me get one is that early reports on the phone part of the phone is that the call quality is vastly superior to the current phone (Endgaget had an article). If that holds true I might invest in one since this is really a crappy phone (the G1 iPhone) but a nice toy. At least in SLC Utah where I live. Outside of no MMS, C&P, and a few other small things I want, the phone part of the phone has been the most disappointing aspect. It is actually rather sad that I would consider spending another 200$ and 120$ a year to have a reliable phone. Then again, I have considered getting a verizon phone for making calls, so it could be a savings in the long run.

umbrabellator

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I want 3G, but trying to figure out what else is gonna justify this $199 or $299 purchase. I know there are many threads regarding the "Inside Scoop" on the 3G iPhone. I have read them, and am not seeing much aside from 3G (which I suppose is why the name of this forum is 3G iPhone)
I have never been that "turned on" by 3G--I just don't care about it. (Though that may change once I use it.)

GPS is the thing for me, and the reason why I want the new phone. I have been toying with buying a GPS unit for my car for sometime now, but I wanted to hold out to see if the iPhone would support GPS. Now that it does, I will buy it so that I don't have to have yet another device to carry about. Turn-By-Turn GPS directions on the iPhone is a great thing. I understand that TomTom has created a version of their software for the iPhone, thus my problem is solved.

And, I LOVE the white one. That's almost makes it worth it right there! ;)

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
How did the US get to be so freaking backwards in cell technology? Especially AT&T... the once great Goliath of the communication world...
It's easier to implement overseas because the population is denser. In the States, you have a lot of area to cover. That means more towers and more expense for possible trivial gain—something providers hate to do if they probably won't see much profit on it. That's why more metro areas have better coverage.

That said, I wish AT&T would spend more resources on their network than on advertising.