Asking for a little help... kinda...

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
So. long story short, I ordered a Dell. [gasp] For the money, I couldn't beat it, and there are other factors involved, financially and what not. So anyway, let me get to the point. It's been a WHILE since I've used a WinBox for personal use.

1. What's the best way to have Vista and Leopard interact with one another?
2. What's the best way to sync iTunes' Library on each (iMac and Laptop)?
3. What are some cool programs that run on a WinBox?

I swore I'd never go back (to Windows), but again, there are other factors involved. So... any advice?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Welcome back, Ramesh ;)

1. Are you talking about networking? It's pretty simple to get them to see one another as long as you turn on Windows file sharing on the mac side. But do you reeeeally want to run Vista on a lappy? I know it's gotten better, but I would HIGHLY recommend you go with XP instead. Especially if you want any help from me... :D

2. Well, you can only sync to one computer at a time, so I would choose one and keep my music on that system. I would keep it on an external drive on the mac side and sync there, and access your music via network on the PC side. Only thing is, iTunes will not import media across a network. On my PC, I usually just browse via explorer and use WMP to play choons and vids. Works fine across a network.

3. To do what? There's programs for everything on the PC.... be more specific

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Welcome back, Ramesh ;)

1. Are you talking about networking? It's pretty simple to get them to see one another as long as you turn on Windows file sharing on the mac side. But do you reeeeally want to run Vista on a lappy? I know it's gotten better, but I would HIGHLY recommend you go with XP instead. Especially if you want any help from me... :D

2. Well, you can only sync to one computer at a time, so I would choose one and keep my music on that system. I would keep it on an external drive on the mac side and sync there, and access your music via network on the PC side. Only thing is, iTunes will not import media across a network. On my PC, I usually just browse via explorer and use WMP to play choons and vids. Works fine across a network.

1 - I know that some of the UI's for networking has changed with Vista, so u guess I was wondering how it has changed. yes, I have vista ultamite that I got for free, so I'll probably stick with that. Of course, that may change rather quicky.

2. Well - I was thinking along the lines of Sycopation (mac) that would basically sync your library for you. I am going to sync my phone to my mac, so that's not going to change.

3. Eh - I guess I'm familiar enough, but thought if anyone had something cool to share I'd let them. :)

BTW - I'm not the expert I used to be, but I am far from a noob when it comes to a pc. ;)

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
That does not sound good. :(
Basically, I got a KILLER deal on the MBP, with free giftcards. We just moved, and with the way some bills fell, we needed some cash. I liquidated the MBP, and paid bills and whatnot. I actually turned a great profit, considered what I had vested in the MBP.

Now I wanted to replace it, but this time would be all my funds. For the price, I couldn't beat what I bought, so I went Dell.

So... that kinda make sense?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
makes sense. sorry to hear it though. Dell does make some good stuff. What model did you get?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Welcome back, Ramesh ;)

2- This is what I was talking about:

http://www.supersync.com/
http://www.acertant.com/web/tuneranger/

Tune Ranger actually says "cross platform" so I'll try that one first.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Basically, I got a KILLER deal on the MBP, with free giftcards. We just moved, and with the way some bills fell, we needed some cash. I liquidated the MBP, and paid bills and whatnot. I actually turned a great profit, considered what I had vested in the MBP.

Now I wanted to replace it, but this time would be all my funds. For the price, I couldn't beat what I bought, so I went Dell.

So... that kinda make sense?
Yes, makes sense. It also makes me a little sad. :(

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Yes, makes sense. It also makes me a little sad. :(
What does?

Overall, it's kind of a plus. I made money, and now we're saving nearly $500 a month in rent, so the "sacrifice" of a toy outweighs the "sorrow" of having to part with my MBP. But now I am able to buy another computer until probably after the refresh to the MB line. I'll go back to Apple, but the "Apple Tax" is too much to pay right now.

I'm a gadget junky - I go through computers and gadgets like underwear....

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
What does?

Overall, it's kind of a plus. I made money, and now we're saving nearly $500 a month in rent, so the "sacrifice" of a toy outweighs the "sorrow" of having to part with my MBP. But now I am able to buy another computer until probably after the refresh to the MB line. I'll go back to Apple, but the "Apple Tax" is too much to pay right now.

Ok I was sad that you had to go back to a Dell. It is fine if you are happy with it! :)

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
What does?

Times are tough, you gotta do what you gotta do to get by and this way you still get your gadgets too.:)

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Times are tough, you gotta do what you gotta do to get by and this way you still get your gadgets too.:)
True story. :D

So, I'm on it now. This thing is blazing fast. It's actually quite impressive, and maybe it'll hold me over... :D