Assigned Ringtones

aahitman

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Denton, TX
Has anyone else had the problem where assigned ringtones are not working when the person assigned to that ringtone calls? It plays on the phone and when you go to the contact it shows that the ringtone is assigned. It's real hit and miss, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. These are custom ringtones that I have made and this problem only started after the upgrade.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Has anyone else had the problem where assigned ringtones are not working when the person assigned to that ringtone calls? It plays on the phone and when you go to the contact it shows that the ringtone is assigned. It's real hit and miss, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. These are custom ringtones that I have made and this problem only started after the upgrade.

I bet the custom ringtones you made were with that ringtonemaker. It always stops working when there is an update. That is why they don't work.

You know, you can make those ringtones all day for free, and put them for free on your iPhone. Here is how:

1. Find a song you want to use as a ringtone.
2. Use whatever program you use to "clip" a section under 30 seconds long.(Audacity is a Freeware Program)
3. Double click the shortened file and it will go into the "Music" section of iTunes and it will start to play.
4. Right click on the file and choose the "Convert to AAC" from the drop down menu.
5. You will now have two of the same files in the iTunes Music Playlist.
6. Right click on one of the two and choose "show in (to locate the file) explorer."
7. Right click on the song with the m4a to m4r extension. You can delete the other one from that folder. If you don't see the file extension then you need to open your Explorer (myComputer) go to tools/folder options/view then go and make sure you have un-checked next to "Hide extensions for known file types".
8. Change the extension from m4a to m4r.
9 Go to iTunes and delete BOTH of the files from the playlist. Just make sure you click on "keep files."
10. Now go back to the folder you have the m4r file and double click it. It should go into the "ringtone folder" of iTunes.
11. Connect your iPhone, click on the "ringtone" tab and the song you need will be on the list. Check the check box and press the apply button lower right

aahitman

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Denton, TX
I made the ringtones by converting to AAC and then changing the file extension. Like I said some times it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have Conway Twitty's Hello Darlin' set up for my wife and sometimes it plays my regular ringtone and sometimes it plays Conway.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I made the ringtones by converting to AAC and then changing the file extension. Like I said some times it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have Conway Twitty's Hello Darlin' set up for my wife and sometimes it plays my regular ringtone and sometimes it plays Conway.

Well then follow the howto that I posted above and redo it, and it will work.

I presume you are on 1.1.3 update?

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
I bet the custom ringtones you made were with that ringtonemaker. It always stops working when there is an update. That is why they don't work.

You know, you can make those ringtones all day for free, and put them for free on your iPhone. Here is how:

1. Find a song you want to use as a ringtone.
2. Use whatever program you use to "clip" a section under 30 seconds long.(Audacity is a Freeware Program)
3. Double click the shortened file and it will go into the "Music" section of iTunes and it will start to play.
4. Right click on the file and choose the "Convert to AAC" from the drop down menu.
5. You will now have two of the same files in the iTunes Music Playlist.
6. Right click on one of the two and choose "show in (to locate the file) explorer."
7. Right click on the song with the m4a to m4r extension. You can delete the other one from that folder. If you don't see the file extension then you need to open your Explorer (myComputer) go to tools/folder options/view then go and make sure you have un-checked next to "Hide extensions for known file types".
8. Change the extension from m4a to m4r.
9 Go to iTunes and delete BOTH of the files from the playlist. Just make sure you click on "keep files."
10. Now go back to the folder you have the m4r file and double click it. It should go into the "ringtone folder" of iTunes.
11. Connect your iPhone, click on the "ringtone" tab and the song you need will be on the list. Check the check box and press the apply button lower right
KNK, I don't want to sound stupid, But when u don't know, I guess there are no stupid questions. I tried Audacity and I can't get the ringtone from there to iTunes. Every time I double click, the Audacity program pops back up. Help PLEASE.

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
I follwed your instructions to a tee. Didn't work for me. I also use iPhoneringtonemaker. I haven't had that problem, But my ringtones go into my sounds folder on my phone. Not good.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I follwed your instructions to a tee. Didn't work for me. I also use iPhoneringtonemaker. I haven't had that problem, But my ringtones go into my sounds folder on my phone. Not good.
Then import into iTunes, then pick up to number 4.

I prob need to add that. Some require dbl click and some requie import.

Thanks.:)

METTTAL

Jul 5, 2007

I've actually had the same exact problem. Prior to the 1.1.3 upgrade, I had iPhoneRingToneMaker working fine. The ringtones were on there and they all worked most of the time. Sometimes it would just play the default ringtone.

After upgrading to 1.1.3, they stopped working. I used iPhoneRingToneMaker to remove them all. Converted them all to AAC and renamed extensions to m4r. Then I added them all via iTunes. It added the correct number, but they were all the same ringtone. So now I just have 1 on there until it gets resolved.

Lucas7

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
it will only let me convert to MP3....but that is what I made.....a 15 second mp3 clip

j3yq

Oct 8, 2007
are u talking about audacity ?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
it will only let me convert to MP3....but that is what I made.....a 15 second mp3 clip
Go to iTunes Preferences (under the iTunes menu on Mac, Edit menu on PC)... Go to the "Advanced" tab, select the "Importing" tab, and choose to "Import Using: AAC Encoder"

Then when you right click the file in iTunes, you will get the option to convert it to AAC

massivek

Jan 28, 2008
Ringtone help!

Yes i did as u say but @ the end it says it cannot be download because iPhone cant paly it (4mr format)
please help me