Astronomy/Star Gazing Apps?

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
What are everyone's recommendations for an astronomy app?

I'm looking for one that takes advantage of the compass in my iPhone 4. I want something that if I hold my device up to the sky it knows what I'm looking at and give my names of constellations, of stars, and of planets.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I can answer that for you. I have several astronomy apps but the one that fits your description would be GoSkyWatch. You can hold your iPhone up to the sky and it will identify constellations, stars, and planets, taking advantage of your compass and gyroscope. It is a little pricey at $5.99, but worth it.

Go Here. GoSkyWatch

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Star walk now takes advantage of the gyroscope too, it's an amazing app, I use it to show off my iPhone to everybody, and for 2.99 it's a STEAL!

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Star walk now takes advantage of the gyroscope too, it's an amazing app, I use it to show off my iPhone to everybody, and for 2.99 it's a STEAL!
I also have StarWalk and like it a lot too. But I prefer GoSkyWatch for navigating the sky. It has better compass markings and shows right on the screen in more detail what it is you are looking at while you are moving around in the sky.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
yes star walk is a little stop and go sometimes, the graphics are top notch but is a little bit off pinpointing at stars, I just don't feel like spending another $6 for another app. Wish all apps had trials at least you know what your getting before forking more money out

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
yes star walk is a little stop and go sometimes, the graphics are top notch but is a little bit off pinpointing at stars, I just don't feel like spending another $6 for another app. Wish all apps had trials at least you know what your getting before forking more money out
I agree, trials or free lite versions. I also have Solar Walk by the makers of Star Walk, Vito Technology. It is a beautifully done graphically of our solar system with the planets and moons. It is rather basic, but very professionally done.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Hmm...it looks like GoSkyMap, Star Walk, and Starmap are the top three recommended apps. I'll do some research on them.

SkyVoyager and StarMap Pro is definitely more than I want to spend on such an app.

Thanks!

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
I used Stellarium last night and it works very good. The price is certainly right (it's free).

I also tried StarGuide (also free). It's not bad, except for the small screen area for the stars. Half the screen is taken up by location coordinates, etc. There should be an option to hide that in order to show the star map in full screen.

So, between these two apps, I'm good to go.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
I have Distant Suns 3, which like some others mentioned here allows pointing to an object for identification. I like the "tour guide" feature.

I've not used any of these others, but have had Distant Suns on the PC for years.

That "GoSatWatch" looks really cool. If you've never watched an iridium flare or an ISS pass, go to Heavens Above and check one out. Having this on the iPhone could be really cool.