Astronomy

Rictur

Bronze
Feb 8, 2011
South Carolina
What did you use to capture that image? Nice pic indeed.
Thanks all. Sorry for the late reply. I used a Canon XSi with a 55-250mm lens. Aperture f/11, shutter 1/125, ISO 100, manual focus. Used mirror lockup and IR remote. Here's a post processed version. I'll run some of the .raw files through Lightroom and post a few.

Attachments

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Reactions: JWiPhone and Rictur

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
I was in a prime viewing location for the eclipse. I was at work, but luckily I was able to take a break and go outside to see it. Here are a few of the pictures taken by friends:
I think that red one will be my new wallpaper!

Reactions: Rictur

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
EuropasOcean_KPHand003crop.jpg

Explanation: How much of Jupiter's moon Europa is made of water? A lot, actually. Based on the Galileo probe data acquired during its exploration of the Jovian system from 1995 to 2003, Europa possesses a deep, global ocean of liquid water beneath a layer of surface ice. The subsurface ocean plus ice layer could range from 80 to 170 kilometers in average depth. Adopting an estimate of 100 kilometers depth, if all the water on Europa were gathered into a ball it would have a radius of 877 kilometers. To scale, this intriguing illustration compares that hypothetical ball of all the water on Europa to the size of Europa itself (left) - and similarly to all the water on planet Earth. With a volume 2-3 times the volume of water in Earth's oceans, the global ocean on Europa holds out a tantalizing destination in the search for extraterrestrial life in our solar system.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
So... who all is going to try and catch the transit of Venus tomorrow? ;)
As long as its not cloudy, like it has been for the last 2 evenings, I'll be trying to catch it. Will have to go the projection route since I wasn't able to find any solar filters in time :(

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
<Raises hand> (y) I'm borrowing a welding hood. How 'bout you?
I have Baader film and some homemade lens caps that I'll use. I would love to find some #14 welders glass but I can't seem to find anyone online that sells just the glass and the goggles are rather pricey. Baader works just fine and is actually rated for optics so I know it's safe to use on my phone and dslr.

Edit: apparently I didn't look hard enough :) http://goo.gl/exOae

Edit 2: sweet... if anyone is interested: http://goo.gl/5hHt6 for the goggles and http://goo.gl/exOae for the 50mm round glass (x2)

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
This is all we got to see in my general area of Fl.
ImageUploadedByiCafe1338941559.597857.jpg

Oh well, guess there is always next time.... In 2117! Damn :(

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Great shot.
Thanks! I really need to get some better optics. That dip in the top right of the photo (which in reality is bottom left) is from a very very very small dent in the lens tube that I didn't think would cause any problems after I accidentally dropped it on concrete haha