• No

Votes: 12 27.3%

• Total voters

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
here is a link to AT&T 3g coverage map.

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

in the lower right hand corner, click the link that says "View 3G/Mobile Broadband coverage (in select areas)"

then select your area from the list, then a map loads, showing the 3g coverage in dark blue.

So, even if the iPhone had 3g, are you covered?

Last edited by a moderator:

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
here is a link to AT&T 3g coverage map.

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/popUp_3g.html

First select your area from the list, then a map loads, showing the 3g coverage in dark blue.

So, even if the iPhone had 3g, are you covered?

I am north of LA and do not have it, but if I drive into LA I have it at the places I go, so that is good for me.

But the big question is will we have to pay extra for it?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Boston is completely covered.

- John

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I am north of LA and do not have it, but if I drive into LA I have it at the places I go, so that is good for me.

But the big question is will we have to pay extra for it?
Right now I do not have it. And even if I did I would not pay for it. Edge & WIFI work just fine for me.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yep, Boston's covered in blue:

- John

Last edited by a moderator:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Thankfully most of the urban areas in Florida are covered so I should be ok. I do know that this same time last year 3G coverage in Florida was very spotty, but it's much better now.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
If 3g is NOT in my area, does edge kick in? ...since that's ALWAYS available as long as I have bars..... 3g seems extremely limited....

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
If 3g is NOT in my area, does edge kick in? ...since that's ALWAYS available as long as I have bars..... 3g seems extremely limited....

It is my understanding that edge is first and IF IF you get the 3G it will take over.

Other than that How you doing, ready for party tonight?

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It is my understanding that edge is first and IF IF you get the 3G it will take over.

I don't think this is the case. I am pretty sure if you have a 3G phone and are in a 3G area and have a 3G SIM (pretty hard not to if you have bought a phone in the last few years) then 3G will come first.

An advantage of the ATT network is that pretty much anywhere you have voice, you have data of some sort.. even if it is EDGE.

I don't think 3G cost any more. You buy a 3G phone, be in a 3G area with a data plan and all should be good as far as I know.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
..sidenote..

I thought I would want/need 3G with my iPhone and was planning on using a bonus to get a 3G iPhone if one came out this year but now don't think I will. I have yet to have any issues significant enough with EDGE to deem a 3G iPhone necessary. Also, free wi-fi is everywhere in Atlanta.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I don't think this is the case. I am pretty sure if you have a 3G phone and are in a 3G area and have a 3G SIM (pretty hard not to if you have bought a phone in the last few years) then 3G will come first.

An advantage of the ATT network is that pretty much anywhere you have voice, you have data of some sort.. even if it is EDGE.

I don't think 3G cost any more. You buy a 3G phone, be in a 3G area with a data plan and all should be good as far as I know.

Well so if you have a 3G phone and you are not in 3G then it looks like you are with the EDGE. That is what I am saying. But I just looked at the graph above and the 3G has taken over the yes. I am in the no, so this is really good to watch this thread.

rgarjr

Bronze
Nov 19, 2007
Guys, looks like I'm not 3G covered at the moment. Shows only EDGE.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines

No party tonight.....been there..done that.. maybe next year... HAPPY NEW YEAR, however!

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
No party tonight.....been there..done that.. maybe next year... HAPPY NEW YEAR, however!

Thanks my good buddy. We are at home tonite, will watch the early feed at 9pm mytime of the NY ball drop, then That guy that is going to jump 360 feet on a motocycle to set a world record on ESPN 12:01 am your time. Bet he crashes.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Thanks my good buddy. We are at home tonite, will watch the early feed at 9pm mytime of the NY ball drop, then That guy that is going to jump 360 feet on a motocycle to set a world record on ESPN 12:01 am your time. Bet he crashes.
Will he crash...? Will he NOT crash...? i don't know but I can promise that I will be crashed!:laugh2:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Wow, really? Have New Years only to watch some dude try to set a record and crash?

I would catch it on YouTube tomorrow.

- John

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Wow, really? Have New Years only to watch some dude try to set a record and crash?

I would catch it on YouTube tomorrow.

- John
especially when you can spend it typing on these forums! You tell him!

J/k. Seems like you're taking the beating that I usually get tonight..