AT&T $4.99 monthly charge for "voice dial"

Oct 9, 2008
Hello all. New to the forum and I had an observation/question. I was going through the options list and saw that they plan on offering "voice dial" for an additional $4.99 a month. Is this a separate feature from Apple's voice control?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Hello all. New to the forum and I had an observation/question. I was going through the options list and saw that they plan on offering "voice dial" for an additional $4.99 a month. Is this a separate feature from Apple's voice control?
I do not know how AT&T voice dial works, but I doubt it is connected at all to voice control. Voice control is done with the iPhone software and doesn't just control the phone but also controls the ipod and more. And I don't see any footnote for the voice control feature on the Apple site.

Oct 9, 2008
thanks. I couldn't get a straight answer from an ATT rep. I think they're a little overwhelmed by all the inquiries.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I highly doubt - in fact, I'm positive - that this is not the same thing as Voice Control. If AT&T charged for that, they would be under constant fire from iPhone users.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
thanks. I couldn't get a straight answer from an ATT rep. I think they're a little overwhelmed by all the inquiries.
No problem. And they are probably trying to find a way to charge us(even though they can't) :p

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
AT&T offer voice dial for a small fee for phones that do not natively have it. Like some cheaper phones that don't have it, you can get it through AT&T.

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
yeah, u dial a # and then it asks for a name and dials it out of database u set up with att. sorry for the crap spelling, only one hand free, the other is holding my infant.

raahee123

Jun 18, 2009
Plano, TX
somtimes i feell like the ATT reps. r just hiding so much from us. i go in and ask questions and i feel like there TRAINED to steer us into another question.... do u guys feel like that . hahah i no kinda funny i mean there like sales associates trying to make there buck. but we gotta be serious about the iPhone S u no.... its a big deal

jbw52

Jun 16, 2009
AT&T voice dialing and in phone voice commands or voice dialing are two separate things. I use the voice feature on my Blackberry and there is no charge for that, because it is a built in feature of the phone.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I has this on my blackberry and it worked pretty good with a bluetooth earpiece.

Tapping the main button on my earpiece dialed the last number called. And the last number was always #8. So I never had to reach for my phone.

You set up the list at AT&T's website. Tap the earpiece, say the name. and it dialed.
4.99 a month. And it has nothing to do with voice control.