AT&T 4g

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by Tug, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Tug

Tug Member
    Silver

I'm not really sure where to post hopefully the moderators will move it to the proper forum.

I was talking to an AT&T representative on the phone and expressed my feelings about jumping ship and going to Verizon to get the new iPhone and was extremely upset with all my dropped calls. She said if I hang on just a little longer AT&T will be updating their system to 4G and the number of dropped calls I experience will be reduced dramatically. My question is, is there any truth to that or is it just a tactic to keep the as many customers as possible?

Thanks

Tug

2. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

Tactic iPhone 4 is not 4G compatible ;)

3. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Yes and no.
    AT&T is now going to follow T-Mobile with rebranding their high-speed 3G network as 4G. The iPhone 4 is equipped to use this "new" bandwidth. This is NOT referring to LTE. LTE is a new setup, and there are very few phones in the world that can use that network.
    And for the record, AT&T's and T-Mobile's branded "4G" network is more like 3.2G, because LTE is 3.5G. LTE Advanced is TRUE 4G, and won't be out till the later part of this decade. (like 2017-2018)

4. Tug

Tug Member
    Silver

I was so fed up with all the dropped calls I was experiencing with AT&T that I switched over to T Mobile and purchased a MyTouch and what a mistake that was. Not only did I have as many dropped calls but the face chat was horrendous. After a week I took the phones back to T Mobile and am back with AT&T, February 10, 2011 cant get here soon enough. Thanks guys

5. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

My only concern is that when AT&T rolls out their true 4G LTE network (not the hsdpa+ they're branding 4G) will they offer an unlimited plan or will they have a cap on it like they do now? And if they have a cap what will happen to the people were grandfathered in for the the unlimited 3G data plan. Will those people (myself included) loose the unlimited data in favor of a capped 4G LTE?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

6. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

LTE is not 3.5 it actually is 4G. The 3.5G is actually hsdpa+ which is what t-mobile and At&t is branding as their 4G network. The iPhone 4 will not take advantage of AT&T HSDPA+ cause it's not equipped to handle more then 7.1mbps HSDPA+ is beyond that somewhere in the 20mbps. Here is a quote from AT&T website: Not all 4G is created equal. AT&T is the only carrier that will offer two layers of network technology that deliver 4G speeds: HSPA+ and LTE. Our HSPA+ network, combined with enhanced backhaul, is capable of speeds up to 4x faster than AT&T's already fast mobile broadband speeds. And we'll be evolving to even higher speeds with the rollout of our LTE network.

Why does that matter? You'll enjoy fast 4G speeds both with the HSPA+ network and where LTE is available. That means a smoother, more consistent mobile broadband experience overall.

HSPA
    3G technology powering the nation's fastest mobile broadband network today.

HSPA+
    This technology enables speeds up to 4x faster than AT&T's already fast mobile broadband network.*

LTE
    Long Term Evolution. That's what we have in mind and why AT&T will continue to boost speed and performance while we drive toward the launch of LTE later in 2011.

So you can see that HSPA+ is really 3.5G. And LTE is the true 4G network.

Image has been removed.

#6 Mthoroughbred, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  7. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Not that everything on wikipedia is 100% accurate, but...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GPP_Long_Term_Evolution

3GPP Long Term Evolution (LTE), is the latest standard in the mobile network technology tree that produced the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies.[1][2] It is a project of the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), operating under a name trademarked by one of the associations within the partnership, the European Telecommunications Standards Institute.
    The current generation of mobile telecommunication networks are collectively known as 3G (for "third generation"). Although LTE is often marketed as 4G, first-release LTE does not fully comply with the IMT Advanced 4G requirements. The pre-4G standard is a step toward LTE Advanced, a 4th generation standard (4G)[3] of radio technologies designed to increase the capacity and speed of mobile telephone networks. LTE Advanced is backwards compatible with LTE and uses the same frequency bands, while LTE is not backwards compatible with 3G systems.
    MetroPCS, Verizon Wireless and AT&T Mobility in the United States and several worldwide carriers announced plans, beginning in 2009, to convert their networks to LTE. The world's first publicly available LTE-service was opened by TeliaSonera in the two Scandinavian capitals Stockholm and Oslo on the 14th of December 2009. LTE is a set of enhancements to the Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) which was introduced in 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) Release 8. Much of 3GPP Release 8 focuses on adopting 4G mobile communication's technology, including an all-IP flat networking architecture. On August 18, 2009, the European Commission announced it will invest a total of €18 million into researching the deployment of LTE and the certified 4G system LTE Advanced.[4]
    While it is commonly seen as a mobile telephone or common carrier development, LTE is also endorsed by public safety agencies in the US[5] as the preferred technology for the new 700 MHz public-safety radio band. Agencies in some areas have filed for waivers[6] hoping to use the 700 MHz[7] spectrum with other technologies in advance of the adoption of a nationwide standard.

And to back it up: http://www.3gpp.org/LTE

In a nutshell, LTE is still not 4G. LTE Advanced is.

8. Irish Rose

Irish Rose Zealot

That phone is a ****ing joke! After AT&T got done neutering it. It's not even 3.5G.....

#8 Irish Rose, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  9. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Have to admit, am disappointed that the Atrix is boot locked. Basically the hack community can't work on optimizing it until this road block is broken. Eg. my DHD can out bench it even though the Atrix has a dual core. Also 4" isn't that noticeable over 3.7". Glad I went with HTC.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

#9 iP5, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  10. Irish Rose

Irish Rose Zealot

Yeah the HTC Desire is nice, but I really wanted a 4G phone to replace my iPhone 4. It seems that neither the Atrix, nor the Inspire are capable of that since AT&T sucked it right out of them. It wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't falsely advertise those devices as 4G on the box..... Verizon's HTC Thunderbolt is one LTE Android phone that really delivers in terms of speed.

11. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

AT&T LTE is just south of my area so it shouldn't be long before they open it up here in the Jacksonville/Orange Park area. I can't wait. I just so happened to visit that area and this is what I got on my Skyrocket 4G.

[​IMG]

12. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

wait for my new iPhone this year
    by then I have moved in a LTE AT$&T area (hopefully you never know until it actually happned)
    This said I like AT&T but may consider jumping over a different carrier
    Son needs unlimited and with us probably also switching to cable with phone streaming access I may need it too.
    I will see what I do once the day has come.

13. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

Just because it's close by is no guarantee that you will get it hehe. Either way I hope you get it mate, personally I wouldn't pay a carrier money who will throttle me for using pandora :-(. Maybe your car radio works unlike my broke pos lol.

14. Skb2000

Skb2000 Evangelist
    Gold

So glad I stumbled onto this thread... I was wondering why I saw 4G on my 4S phone after I updated. Now I know. Of course I still can't get a signal at my house without the Micro Cell, but I haven't had any trouble anywhere else. I have been doing a lot of traveling the past few months and have no complaints about AT&T.

15. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

I don't get many dropped calls on my 4s......I do hangup and claim it dropped the call later when my wife is yelling;) but seriously my phone holds on to the call in places my wife's and mother-in-laws drop off. Even after riding and seeing my son talk across the MS River Bridge where she swore it drop she still ssys I either did something to my phone or it was a fluke lol.
    Course they all get mad(my wifes family) when their phones are "dead, broken" and I have them restored and working in under 10minutes lol, Sorry mom, sorry aunty but I went to college in Computer Repair/Networking just never took a job in the field lol

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
    Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!