AT&T 5% text msg

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. xman

xman Member
    Bronze

Yesterday I received a text from ATT stating that I was in the 5% highest data usage category and they will be slowing down my access speed if it continues.

How much will it be slowed? They won't give any details. I am an unlimited user and they did offer to put me in a tiered setup where usage isn't monitored? Sounds weird.

They also mentioned that the apps running in the background are using data. I know I can stop apps individually BUT is there a way to stop all background apps with one keystroke or by using a special app?

thanks

2. rollinfromhell

Gold

Very slow. A friend showed me his it was like .2 mbps. So basically, nothing. slower than edge.

3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Just curious, how much data had you used during that billing cycle and what area do you live in?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You'll need to start monitoring your usage and keep it under 2 GB/month to avoid throttling. Streaming apps such as Netflix and Pandora are often the culprits. Aside from music streaming apps (and possibly free navigation apps that don't have preloaded maps), I can't think of anything that will use significant amounts of data while running in the background. The other option is to switch to a tiered plan. It's $30 for 3 GB data now. Each additional GB is $10. A tierred plan is now actually a better deal for those who use between 2 and 3 GB per month because using that third GB will not put you at risk for throttling.

5. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

I'm on the 3GB and doing fine you can go in settings/general/network and turn off cellular data that's what I do and only cut it on when I use it. This keeps any data hogg apps from eating data and makes my battery last longer.

6. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

The reason I ask is because I intentionally spiked my data usage last month to see if I would get a warning message. I never got one, nor did I experience any throttling. I live in the Dallas area so I wonder what the 5% would actually be for me. It could be they didn't throttle me because of my usual "normal" usage (I've averaged 2.4GB for the past 13 months.) Here's the graph of my recent usage:

[​IMG]

7. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Did you sleep the whole month of October?

I doubled my data last month and got nothing either. I usually, barely go past 2 gigs a month, last month I reached 5 gigs.

8. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I didn't sleep any more than usual, my girlfriend was in town for two weeks that month so I didn't spend as much time with my iPhone. ;)

9. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Wow. Someone here's got a life (at least for 2 weeks)

10. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

That's why I'm glad I live in the UK I have unlimited date with no fair usage and use over 20GB each month as I also tether my wife and daughter to it through personal hotspot when we're away from wifi. This is not a problem with the carrier that promotes this here (three) I have heard unlimited data in the good ole U S of A is rubbish and everyone has their data either slashed or capped.

iHolophyte

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's still unlimited without throttling with Sprint, but their 3G speeds are slower than AT&T and Verizon.

12. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

Move to the UK 3G speeds here are like a F1 car lol

iHolophyte

13. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Just the other day I was saying I should move to the UK because there data speeds are awesome. :)

14. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

I'll send my private jet over. ;)

iHolophyte

15. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I'm good. UK isn't even in my list of places to go and or revisit.

16. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

Like wise with Washington DC ;)

iHolophyte

17. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I wouldn't go to Washington dc either.
    Was a nice attempt though. ;)

18. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

I thought that the min I sent it.... Went "doh..... Bet there's two washingtons"

iHolophyte

19. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

20. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

Just read that geography lesson. Thanks for that never realised. I feel sorry for the postman. I bet he always gets confused with there being 26 to chose from :p

iHolophyte