AT&T Activation Servers Overloaded

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Europa, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Many AT&T customers are experiencing problems with activation due to the servers being overloaded. The same problem occurred in previous years due to multiple simultaneous activation attempts.

I've called AT&T, but they said there is nothing they can do. In the past, at least we were able to use the phone for non-cellular features while we waited for the activation to go through and we only had to try once. We are being prompted to try again after the failed activation attempts this year.

Apparently, you can take your phone into a corporate AT&T store for activation if you have one nearby.

[​IMG]

2. tc2000chartreader

Bronze

What a pain this activation is. I'm on try number 10 now.

3. MyRichLife

MyRichLife Zealot
    Gold

I remember this problem last year with my iPhone 4 it took 3 different try's before it went through the activation process. All I can say is wait till tonight to see if the activation server is less cluddered.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just found out that there are two corporate AT&T Stores in my town. They just opened in May. I called one and they said they can activate my phone in the store so I'm going to head over there. :)

The franchises don't sell iPhones (unless the policy changed since I last checked) so I was guessing that they wouldn't be able to activate iPhones, either. I'm honestly not sure if they can do it or not.

5. MyRichLife

MyRichLife Zealot
    Gold

Sweet, Glad you found two corporate AT&T stores in your area. Tell them you want something free :D.

6. tc2000chartreader

Bronze

I have to head out to staples anyway, so there is an AT&T store there. I stop by too.

7. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

Sorry to kill the mood, but mine went right through at 10:30am est. For once I am amongst the lucky ones

8. Bitewound

Bitewound Evangelist
    Gold

Great :D

9. cabinets

cabinets Member
    Bronze

Took 15-20 attempts, but finally activated

10. BrownGem

BrownGem Zealot
    Gold

I will just keep trying. Glaring at Showguy.

11. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

I didn't have that problem but im still waiting for my 4s to come today so I hope i don't have this problem today.

12. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

How do you keep attempting. Mine simply says to wait for the email notification. Turn it off and back on again?

Edit: Oh, I see. Start again after hitting Home Button.

13. goheels42

goheels42 Member
    Bronze

So I called AT&T, they imputed everything they needed to (Sim & IMEI #) no luck. They tell me to go to a local store if I'm close to one. I drive to the AT&T store, and they were honestly no help at all, were actually kinda rude, saying since I bought it through Apple, it was a issue with their activation process, all phones ordered through AT&T were activating fine. Told me to call 1800myApple, or go to the Apple store. Wasn't happy to say the least. I get out to my car, and I try again activating the phone, this time over 3G, and it went through.

14. BrownGem

BrownGem Zealot
    Gold

I kept unplugging and replugging to computer...it brings up the activation screen...and yippeee...mine just activated...took about 15 tries.

15. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks AT&T. You truly screwed up. Now I have no phone whatsoever for the last hour. They deactivated my iPhone 4 and did NOT activate 4S. This is crazy.

Michael

16. seanwes

seanwes Zealot
    Gold

I guess I should consider myself lucky! At least my iPhone 4 still has service...

17. cliffeman

cliffeman Zealot
    Gold

I'm hoping all this will be resolved once I get mine. It's still on the truck for delivery.:mad:

18. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I was at the store and they send me home saying wait for an e-mail tomorrow

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just got mine activated at an AT&T Store. :)

20. Slave2Leia

Slave2Leia New Member

I went to the AT&T store, they were very helpful but could not activate my phone, they were told by corp that I had to call My Apple. I did using AT&Ts phone, again very nice, and the lady I talked to sounded very disinterested and spacey. She told me I just had to wait for the email that there is nothing Apple can do. I'm a little :mad: now. I have NO phone now as AT&T has activated my 4s plan thus shutting off my 3G.