AT&T - add iPhone to family plan w/ 2 non iPhones

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I was considering getting an iPhone to replaze my Razor V3. I have 3 Razor's on a shared family plan. I called At&T and was given different answers.

One said the iPhone had to be on its own separate plan (thus we cannot share prime time minutes or add to the rollover). Also, I had to have the $69 plan for 700 minutes (the $80 plan with 1400 min was not available) and then there is the added cost of the data of $20.

Then I was told, no, I could add the iPhone to the existing family plan, and was going to have to pay an additional $40 a month for the data for the iPhone.

Can anyone tell me what they have (hopefully of a similar set up) and what they pay?

Our existing plan is the 1400 min plan a month for $80 + 9.99 for ea additional phone and then the regular taxes. We have pay per use for txt msg and internet as we do not use those features much.

Thanks. I think the AT&T phone sales are confused as much as I am.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I am on an AT&T family plan and we share 700 minutes. I have an iPhone with the $20 data plan. It is the only iPhone on the plan. The iPhone is an added line. 9.99 a month plus the data.

Just go buy an iPhone and bring it home and activate it. One of the best features of the iPhone is you don't have to deal with those jabronies at the AT&T store.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I am on an AT&T family plan and we share 700 minutes. I have an iPhone with the $20 data plan. It is the only iPhone on the plan. The iPhone is an added line. 9.99 a month plus the data.

Just go buy an iPhone and bring it home and activate it. One of the best features of the iPhone is you don't have to deal with those jabronies at the AT&T store.
I Agree I did the same thing just activate at home you will be fine

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I Agree I did the same thing just activate at home you will be fine
Thanks for the info! I am guessing I just pull the sim out of my razor and stick it in the iPhone? My razor is already on the plan (think it is the main phone). And then call and add the $20 unlimited data feature?

That is crazy! I actually had called At&t to see if I could get some sort of credit for renewing my contract as I am at the expiration. In the past I usually get an upgraded phone for no or low cost, etc.

So you guys did not even buy the iPhone from the AT&T store? I thought that was the only place (other than the Apple Store) to buy them new.

tmoce

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
Thanks for the info! I am guessing I just pull the sim out of my razor and stick it in the iPhone? My razor is already on the plan (think it is the main phone). And then call and add the $20 unlimited data feature?

That is crazy! I actually had called At&t to see if I could get some sort of credit for renewing my contract as I am at the expiration. In the past I usually get an upgraded phone for no or low cost, etc.

So you guys did not even buy the iPhone from the AT&T store? I thought that was the only place (other than the Apple Store) to buy them new.

i was in the same situation as you. When I got the iPhone I just went home hooked it to iTunes. And just follow the simple steps. Pretty simple, it will ask you if it’s a new line or existing line. Just say its an existing line, enter the number in iTunes and it will be program it into the iPhone.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I do not have any data (just pay per use) so after doing that, I can just call and add data to my line?

Where did you buy the iPhone (At&t store)?

tmoce

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
I do not have any data (just pay per use) so after doing that, I can just call and add data to my line?

Where did you buy the iPhone (At&t store)?

You do not need to call anybody. Like I said get the phone, plug to iTunes and follow the directions. You will be asked to buy the data plan during the registration.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM

I don't know if you have got it already but i was told by AT&T and Apple that you should use the sim that comes with your new iPhone we replaced a razor and a slvr with iPhones and used to ones that came with the phones

I bought our phones at the AT&T store but if you have an Apple store or can wait and order it online you wont have to deal with those morons. I have not talked to a single person at AT&T that has a clue about anything to do with iPhone

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I don't know if you have got it already but i was told by AT&T and Apple that you should use the sim that comes with your new iPhone we replaced a razor and a slvr with iPhones and used to ones that came with the phones

I bought our phones at the AT&T store but if you have an Apple store or can wait and order it online you wont have to deal with those morons. I have not talked to a single person at AT&T that has a clue about anything to do with iPhone

So I guess I have to re-enter all my contacts? Then again, I seem to remember the AT&T store has a reader for your Sim and copies the info.

Feb 29, 2008
help

ok i have a few questions and if some one is kind enough to e-mail me that would be nice cause this is just a random fourm i found and might forget about it lol
ok well here is my situation..
my dad has a AT&T plan with 2 lines i think and i am going to be moving in with him is it possibale to buy a iPhone off of like ebay and just active it with the sim card it comes with and add it to his plan he is on? How much would that be if i can do that? Also how much is it monthly if i get the $80 700 mins and unlimited txt and unlimited night and weekends?
Thanks for your time
my e-mail is jeremyrazmus@gmail.com