AT&T and MMS

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
so after getting all the good scoop on the new iPhone, i have been reading rumors on that AT&T wont have MMs ready fro launch. is this for real or what? can anyone put some clarification on this, it would be seriously stupid to launch with promoting something that is in a product, and we don't get to use it.

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
I'm curious to know the answer to this as well. When exactly is "late Summer?" I could have stayed with Palm/Sprint for this mess! Don't get me wrong I love the "potential" of the iPhone but getting a little tired of making excuses for the limitations of it.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
If you check out Gizmodo, apparently AT&T needs to manually remove some MMS restrictions from its service so it is going to take a while for it to happen. That is why no date was specified.

swampduck

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
I guess I am confused, what restrictions? The Blackberry can MMS, my Razr 3 years ago could MMS, the Blackjack can MMS. The common thread I can see is Apple. It wasn't built into V1 or the 3G. So we are to believe that ATT foresaw the iPhone and decided that they wouldn't allow just that phone to do MMS? I don't buy it...but I could just be mistaken<disclaimer:lol>

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Well that's the point, they had to build iPhone's non compatible ass into their system, now they have to dig the 3G's out. They had to make mms forbidden for iPhones to discourage jailbreaking, now they probably don't know what to do.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
But come on, AT&T has known about MMS for 6 months, minimum. NO EXCUSE for not being ready except piss poor planning and an arrogant customer attitude. A-holes.
I don't know how long they have known about it, I know they HAVE to have known about it for 3months, and assume they have known longer. I completely agree with you, and I propse at7t just throws the switch, hell Apple doesn't even stop people from unlocking the original iPhone anymore, why should AT&T care about mms.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
AT&T sucks. I switched from my GREAT Verizon plan to this crap to get the iPhone. Garbage service, garbage customer service, garbage prices. The ONLY thing they have is the iPhone. They better extend a contract with Apple or else they are screwed when they make a VZW version. I'd consider breaking my contract.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
There's a reason why Apple & Palm didn't use Verizon. Verizon consists a bunch of control freaks who have to have their red crappy UI all over the phones they get. Eff that!

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I do agree with that...but the service is MUCH better.

jabreal00

Feb 16, 2009
AT&T sucks. I switched from my GREAT Verizon plan to this crap to get the iPhone. Garbage service, garbage customer service, garbage prices. The ONLY thing they have is the iPhone. They better extend a contract with Apple or else they are screwed when they make a VZW version. I'd consider breaking my contract.
I too switched from VZW to ATT. Apple went to VZW first but they wanted too much control for Apple's liking so they went to ATT who gave Apple a sweat heart deal. I do have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with ATT service. No dropped calls. Clear voice. The $85 I pay for my plan would be comprable to VZW.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I loved Verizon because I never had any dropped calls and got reception everywhere. I get constant dropped calls with AT&T. But I have to live with it for my iPhone. My verizon family use their phones everywhere and they are reliable. That's my 2 cents on Verizon. Now, no MMS from AT&T, that really makes them suck at a whole new level in my book!

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
There's a reason why Apple & Palm didn't use Verizon. Verizon consists a bunch of control freaks who have to have their red crappy UI all over the phones they get. Eff that!
Yeah that is exactly why the only decent touch screen they have came from blackberry. Until they lift their hold on making every phone they carry have verizon os built in and verizon v cast there will never be a verizon iPhone. Kind of the same with sprint and they are going Wi Max for 4G which no one else will use thus being a deterrent for Apple.
I loved Verizon because I never had any dropped calls and got reception everywhere. I get constant dropped calls with AT&T. But I have to live with it for my iPhone. My verizon family use their phones everywhere and they are reliable. That's my 2 cents on Verizon. Now, no MMS from AT&T, that really makes them suck at a whole new level in my book!
Verizon absolutely sucks in my area and I love AT&T's service other than this little(big) mms problem they are causing.