AT&T Bill Question

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by billnye97, Oct 16, 2014.

1. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

I am currently in contract till next year. At that point in time what options do I have? I would like to start to buy my phones outright but I want a lower monthly bill. If I do nothing will my bill go down if I don't claim my upgrade? I'd rather not have a contract. I like the AT&T Next options but am I able to buy the phone outright and get the prices minus the hardware charge? This bill is a little bit off seeing that we went crazy with our data. Our normal bill is $159 for two smartphones. I have an iPhone 6+ and my wife has a Samsung Galaxy S4.

[​IMG]

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

You would be better off with Familyshare 10GB - $15 per phone line, and $100 for 10GB of data (includes tethering and unlimited texting). $130 total for the service.

You may even be able to switch to family share and Next now - check with ATT to see if you're elligible for a Next upgrade now. With Next, you pay for phones over the course of 1 or 2 years along with your monthly bill. There is no contract. You have the option at any point to pay off the phones fully if you prefer.

This is exactly what my GF and I are doing. our bill is $130 for Familyshare 10GB, plus $37.50 x2 per month for our 64GB iPhone 6's. So $205 per month plus taxes and whatnot.

#2 acosmichippo, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  3. Parana6

Parana6 New Member

I am paying less than you with 4 smartphones on family share. 100 for 10 gb + 4 smartphones at 15 buck each.

4. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

You're paying quite a bit for 2 lines....Family share is the way to go....I pay $205 plus tax for 5 lines and 3 iPads. That's the base, it doesn't include whatever Next payments I'm making. My husband was able to buy his phone outright and still keep our Next pricing.

Sent using iCafe app

5. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

The trick to keeping the discount on the family share plan is to not have acquired your phone on a 2 year contract discounted price. Whether that means buying the phone outright, or purchasing it on a Next plan, that will give you the best phone service pricing.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, you will still get the discount if you pay full cost. You need to select that plan, though. It isn't automatic. The discount is for not subsidizing, so you'll be eligible for it if you use Next or pay full cost.

7. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

How do u do to cover up the personal info? Is that an app? Thank you.

8. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Photoshopping can do this. Various programs and apps are capable, but I don't know the names of any off the top of my head.

9. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Thank u very much, I haven't figure that out yet : (

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Just use the blur function and experiment.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Here is a link for an app that will allow you to blur personal information. It's free and easy to use. Just swipe your finger back and forth a few times across the areas you want blurred.
    Touch Blur by Jin Jeon
    https://appsto.re/us/_LQIG.i

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Oooo this seems like something I may want, but first I have to ask this. Is it not at all possible for someone else to unblur what you send them?

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, it's a destructive blur. It can't be reversed on another device, so it's safe to upload these pictures. Just make sure you apply enough blur that the data is no longer visible.

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You mean "It cant be reversed." I would assume. :) If not then I don't understand what you mean at the beginning.

So nobody can take the photo and use the app to unblur it?

Anyways, that's awesome. I will try it out.

15. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Thanks everyone. I knew that I was paying a crazy amount. My wife and I will probably head to a local AT&T store to switch. The ridiculous thing is that is the price with my wife's work discount.

As far as the program to blur I have Snagit on my computer and it has a blur function.

Sent using an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB on AT&T.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. Yes. You quoted me before I fixed the typos and reworded it a bit.

2. No, it's safe. No one can un-blur the image. It would be like cutting off someone's ponytail and then trying to reattach all of the hairs to their original stands. It can't be done. You wouldn't know which was which.

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Thank you. As for the ponytail example, yeahhh that would be impossible. :p

18. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Thank you Europa, I have been wanting to do it for a long time but couldn't figure and now finally I can do it : ) I was told the only way was by jailbreaking it.

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

My friend on Verizon is saying that his bill and everyones is itemized, and they don't get charged for 911 Service. AT&T customers do though, and they explained why and that's because it's just a straight rate of .50 and important if they need emergency service. Very odd if you ask me.

20. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Thank you all for your help! I went into AT&T yesterday and switched to the Mobile Share Plan for my wife and I. I had already bought the iPhone 6 Plus outright and she ended up getting a LG G3 phone. We bought hers outright as well (after trading in her S4 and my iPhone 5S). Our bill has now gone down to $106 plus we get a 24% discount. This gives me a lot less monthly payment as well as 4GB of more data for both of us (10GB instead of 6GB). Thanks to everyone!