At&t bumps throttling cap to 22GB on grandfathered UDP's

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Good news for those who held onto your UDP's from At&t. They now won't begin throttling (on congested towers) until you hit 22GB. This is just going to make my 6s Plus experience even sweeter!

Still no tethering, but it's a start! :)

Article here.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
That's cool of them to make unlimited more "unlimited." :rolleyes: I finally relinquished my UDP after 6 1/2 years. I switched to a Mobile Share Plan to save some money and receive a discount through the Next plan. I may have used more than 3GB a month 4-5 times in that time, and more than 5GB once. I was kinda sad to let it go in a way, but I really didn't need it and now I have the tethering option built in.

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
That's cool of them to make unlimited more "unlimited." :rolleyes: I finally relinquished my UDP after 6 1/2 years. I switched to a Mobile Share Plan to save some money and receive a discount through the Next plan. I may have used more than 3GB a month 4-5 times in that time, and more than 5GB once. I was kinda sad to let it go in a way, but I really didn't need it and now I have the tethering option built in.
Do you have to pay extra for tethering?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Do you have to pay extra for tethering?
No, it's free. All of the newer plans include it. It's one of the perks of ditching unlimited data.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Give me the 22gb over tethering any day.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Give me the 22gb over tethering any day.
Yeah, if you need lots of data it's better to keep unlimited. I've never used more than 2 GB in a month, so I'd rather save money with the new mobile share plans than throw it away on data I'm not using. I have 3 GB plus rollover data, so I have plenty and my bill is less than $60 per month (not including the hardware charge through Next). Tethering comes in really handy frequently.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I also noticed this morning that At&t upgraded me to unlimited minutes from the 450/month plan. Minutes has never been an issue but it's still nice to have :)

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Yeah, if you need lots of data it's better to keep unlimited. I've never used more than 2 GB in a month, so I'd rather save money with the new mobile share plans than throw it away on data I'm not using. I have 3 GB plus rollover data, so I have plenty and my bill is less than $60 per month (not including the hardware charge through Next). Tethering comes in really handy frequently.
I travel to Austin often. No wifi at the condo down there. And I am always streaming music. So this is great. :D

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I wish they still offered a 3GB plan. When I switched to Mobile Sharing last week the only options relevant to me were 2GB and 5GB. I routinely use between 2-3GB so I had to go with the 5. I'm still saving money, so I can't complain too much.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I wish they still offered a 3GB plan. When I switched to Mobile Sharing last week the only options relevant to me were 2GB and 5GB. I routinely use between 2-3GB so I had to go with the 5. I'm still saving money, so I can't complain too much.
The 3 GB is the same price as the 2 GB. They upgraded us for free. We just had to go into the app to select it. I'm not sure if they are still doing it. I'd give them a call and check.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
The 3 GB is the same price as the 2 GB. They upgraded us for free. We just had to go into the app to select it. I'm not sure if they are still doing it. I'd give them a call and check.
Good idea, thanks! :)