AT&T can tell if you've already sold your iPhone!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
gizmodo is reporting that AT&T is going to refuse giving the automatic discounts on new iPhone 3G versions if customers have been using another phone besides the iPhone. Evidently, AT&T can tell when the old sim card has been inserted into a different phone. The article says they will refuse to give the discount even if you haven't changed your account. Read the article:

AT&T to make a lot of people mad

People that don't qualify for the discounts will have to rely on their ability to qualify for an equipment upgrade. To check to see if you qualify, you should sign into your account at attwireless.com.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Man, they have every base covered don't they? Seem unfair to deny an upgrade if you kept you account active. If this is true there are going to be a lot of disappointed/pissed off people.

benso87

Bronze
Feb 24, 2008
Kansas City, MO
I saw this article a few minutes ago, and it makes me worry just a little.

I've been using a $10 Nokia phone during the day when I'm at work (construction), because I don't want to break my iPhone. I'll be pretty pissed if they try to tell me I'm not an iPhone customer because of that. I might have to go in tomorrow and ask, just to be sure.

It would've been nice of them to mention this a while ago, though....

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Man, they have every base covered don't they? Seem unfair to deny an upgrade if you kept you account active. If this is true there are going to be a lot of disappointed/pissed off people.
I don't see how they're going to do it either, but I'm sure the technology is there to tell which type of phone you last used to access the network. I'm glad I've got my phone still in use. All along, I thought the current iPhone data plan would be sufficient.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
My question is this. I know there are people on this forum that put the iPhone sim in another phone to use at work or some other situation but still use the iPhone other times. I wonder how this will be handled?

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
wtf thats bs if they do that. we all sold our iPhones to get the new one why should they care how we got the money its more money for them in the long run. they should of at least let everyone know that this is how theyre gong to do it when the iPhone 3g was announced or i would have never sold my iPhone.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've popped my iPhone's SIM into a few different phones quite a few times. If AT&T tells me I'm not eligible because of that, I'm going to be livid.

- John

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
It looks like you'll be fine if you haven't put your iPhone SIM card into another phone.

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
hmm.. I've been using my blackberry (with iPhone sim) for the past few days because I had to send the iPhone in for a battery repair. Does I no get the discoun? Lucy have som splainin to do..

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I saw this article a few minutes ago, and it makes me worry just a little.

I've been using a $10 Nokia phone during the day when I'm at work (construction), because I don't want to break my iPhone. I'll be pretty pissed if they try to tell me I'm not an iPhone customer because of that. I might have to go in tomorrow and ask, just to be sure.

It would've been nice of them to mention this a while ago, though....
Just make sure to put your sim back in your iPhone and make a call on the network before you go to buy the new iPhone 3G.

yes i guess they track which phone you have your sim in because a couple days ago my mom and i switched phones... i put my sim in her bj2 and she put her sim in my iPhone and automatically on the att website it showed i had her bj2 and vise versa... immediately when we swapped back att updated it instantaneously! im glad i didn't sell my phone!

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
If they know each time you pop your SIM card into another phone it should also record the times you pop it back into your iPhone. I think it's for people who are shown you have been using some other phone with the same SIM for the past several months or so.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Hopefully they'll just base it what phone the SIM is in at the time of purchase.

- John

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I've popped my iPhone's SIM into a few different phones quite a few times. If AT&T tells me I'm not eligible because of that, I'm going to be livid.

- John
I don't know, but evidently they can tell if you're no longer an iPhone owner. They might even be able to track the original IMEI. If someone else is using it, you may be out of luck.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
yes i guess they track which phone you have your sim in because a couple days ago my mom and i switched phones... i put my sim in her bj2 and she put her sim in my iPhone and automatically on the att website it showed i had her bj2 and vise versa... immediately when we swapped back att updated it instantaneously! im glad i didn't sell my phone!
Well, that answers my question above and people like John. But for the ones that sold their phones........

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i put my sim in a tilt a few days ago to play with mobile tv and now no matter how many times i change it on teh website it tells me i have a tit, wtf

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
What do you mean it showed it? Did it show it on the features page, or are you talking about the image when you select that number?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Hopefully they'll just base it what phone the SIM is in at the time of purchase.

- John
Based on what free2rhyme590 said, this is what it sounds like. As long as you put the sim in the iPhone and I guess make a call everyone should be good.