AT&T can tell if you've already sold your iPhone!

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
How? You're currently not using an iPhone now and you don't have an iPhone data plan right?
Now but I have a data plan that I pay $20 plus $5 for 200 text msgs. I also have 2 PPC/smartphones (TILT & BJ II) that I interchange quite often. Additionally, I always speak to people in the businesss care division, not the normal phone line that everyone else uses. I have found the people on "businesss care" have always had more information in regards to these things also, when Ive needed to unlock my phones theyve gladly given me the codes to unlock the phones. I.e. The BJ II & TILT are both unlocked.:cool:

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
a lot of those guys don't know anything! i asked them something about the iPhone and they gave me some 1-800-myiPhone number! i was like why cant you tell me and she was like well we don't really know much about the iPhone and i was like wow!
True, however the reps over in the businesss care division seem to know a lot more than the regular reps, from my experience.

free2rhyme590

Gold
Now but I have a data plan that I pay $20 plus $5 for 200 text msgs. I also have 2 PPC/smartphones (TILT & BJ II) that I interchange quite often. Additionally, I always speak to people in the businesss care division, not the normal phone line that everyone else uses. I have found the people on "businesss care" have always had more information in regards to these things also, when Ive needed to unlock my phones theyve gladly given me the codes to unlock the phones. I.e. The BJ II & TILT are both unlocked.:cool:
wow u should hook me up with a unlock code for the bj2 lol!
because everytime i call them they tell me no!

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
dude i sold my phone for almost 2 and a half weeks now im still paying for the data plan WTeFFFFF djsfhaksghdkfjgh dude they gotta be kidding....... that complete BS....!

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
wow u should hook me up with a unlock code for the bj2 lol!
because everytime i call them they tell me no!
Trust me I would, but the unlock code goes by the IMEI number & they verify it's on your account. PM me so I can explain how you should go about talking to them;)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Do you have a friend with an iPhone? If so, just pop your SIM into the iPhone.

I switch phones regularly and at times I'd see other phones on my iPhone account. I just checked and it's back to the iPhone. However, I've seen it switch to the Moto Q 9h at times. Odd, but seems that if "phone home" with an iPhone, AT&T will put you back as an iPhone owner.

I'm assuming this would work?

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Gizmodo has just updated their site:

"Update: Looks like our the rep at AT&T gave us the wrong info despite double-checking the situation. If you recently sold your phone but haven't purchased another phone through AT&T with a subsidy and renewed a contract, then you're still eligible for a subsidized iPhone 3G at $199/$299. Even if you shoved your SIM into a temporary phone while you wait out the launch. If you have purchased a new phone with a subsidy, you're not eligible for another subsidy. Glad we cleared this up! Sorry for the scare. Our original post is after the jump, struck out."

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Do you have a friend with an iPhone? If so, just pop your SIM into the iPhone.

I switch phones regularly and at times I'd see other phones on my iPhone account. I just checked and it's back to the iPhone. However, I've seen it switch to the Moto Q 9h at times. Odd, but seems that if "phone home" with an iPhone, AT&T will put you back as an iPhone owner.

I'm assuming this would work?
It should. Like I said earlier, if this is true the ones that sold are the ones that will be hurting. As long as you have your phone what you stated should work.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Gizmodo has just updated their site:

"Update: Looks like our the rep at AT&T gave us the wrong info despite double-checking the situation. If you recently sold your phone but haven't purchased another phone through AT&T with a subsidy and renewed a contract, then you're still eligible for a subsidized iPhone 3G at $199/$299. Even if you shoved your SIM into a temporary phone while you wait out the launch. If you have purchased a new phone with a subsidy, you're not eligible for another subsidy. Glad we cleared this up! Sorry for the scare. Our original post is after the jump, struck out."
So now we are back to what we already knew. This is good.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I think Gizmodo should make habit of TRIPLE-checking before mass revealing news to the general public. Us iPhoners don't take this kind of news kindly.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think Gizmodo should make habit of TRIPLE-checking before mass revealing news to the general public. Us iPhoners don't take this kind of news kindly.
Well, their downfall is that they talked with an AT&T rep, and from my experience in this forum they are not the final word on AT&T policies. :)

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
how about my situation?
my iPhone broke and i still have it. its sim card was put into another phone and then thrown awayl.

edit-
was this false? i didn't read the thread