AT&T charged me for Internet/Media Net on my text message plan for my iPhone?

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by Andreanoel, May 12, 2010.

1. Andreanoel

Andreanoel New Member

Okay, I am really hoping that I find some answers on here from all of you on this website. I want to know what I am talking about before I contact AT&T so I do not waste my time.

My husband and I have the AT&T app on our phones because we have the small text messaging package. We have never gone over until this month. We both have not sent as many messages this month as we have in the past and we are over by 75! I was looking on my section of the bill and noticed several discrepencies...

AT&T charged me several several (we're up to 25 and it's only the middle of the month on the bill) times for Internet/Media Net messages sent from "phone." What does that mean!? The bill further states that the messages were sent at 1:00-1:55 a.m. every time the messages were sent, which means I sent messages in my sleep?! This is bogus!

Could someone be using my number through Safari and sending garbage?! The KB's are through the roof often being over 25,000 and close to 75,000 KB. What in the world is this and why is AT&T charging me like it is a text message? I have the mandatory data plan for my iPhone and have never seen these charges before and we have had our iPhones for almost a year.

Also, has anyone had problems with AT&T billing text messages sent twice or thrice and them also saying they were received twice or thrice? I am experiencing that on this bill too. I have not noticed receiving multiple messages from anyone. Is my iPhone out of wak or is it AT&T that needs help?

Thanks for the help! :eek:k:eek:k

2. coop1701

coop1701 Contributor
    Silver

I can say I had a few issues with Texts showing up multiple times and AT&T was good about fixing those. As far as the late night Text Messages. The Time stamps on my Text messages are notoriously inaccurate. Don't put too much stock in the times.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. danipoak

danipoak Member
    Silver

I once had a month where AT&T charged me for my data usage under media net usage. It worked out to be about a $20k bill. I just called them and they straightened that out since I was paying for the iPhone data plan.

5. Kayto82

Kayto82 New Member

Gah! Me, too!

I found those same charges on my bill! I called AT&T and the rep I spoke to said my billing wasn't set up correctly, something was wrong, maybe my number was hacked, and "You have to change your number, I would be scared." So the girl changed my number, because she said it was the only thing to be done. Well, I called back to make sure my state discount had continued to the new number and I found out that MY NUMBER DIDN'T HAVE TO BE CHANGED AT ALL. However, because this rep had NO IDEA what she was doing, when she changed my number all of my past history was erased and the new rep couldn't tell me why I was getting those kb charges. Not only that, but they happen at the same times EVERY DAY. At&T has given me NO explanation, and, yes, these charges are on my new bill even though my number is changed, meaning that it's something AT&T is charging us for by sneaking it into our text message area even though these are NOT TEXT MESSAGES. AT&T is the worst company I've experienced and the moment my contract is up I'm ditching them. I may even pay the fee and ditch them sooner.
    So, I apologize, I can't tell you why these charges are occurring, but you are not alone. In fact, I think only those who have unlimited texting are not incurring these charges. You'd figure AT&T should be able in the very least to tell us why THEY are charging for something, but that's the world we're living in. Not to go on a total rant, but it's businesss practices in this line of morality that sent this country into the recession. Awesome. If you find out why, please, please, please post the reason for these charges.

6. Kayto82

Kayto82 New Member

Update:
    I'm on the phone with AT&T right now. I've been placed on hold numerous times and no one can tell me what's going... They told me to be awake at 1am-2am to see what the phone doing, and then to contact Apple. They can charge us, but can't tell us why. How insane is that?

7. Kayto82

Kayto82 New Member

Updated update: Called Apple. It's due to an app updating. They don't have a list of apps that update, but it's happening every 12 - 24 hours and, for me, it started back in February, always happening about 1:20am Central time. So I have to look at what apps I downloaded in February to figure out which one is updating every single night. My concern is that it shows my phone is sending out the information, not showing as received. This makes me very worried about my personal information. Do either you or your husband have any news apps or Defender Chronicles or anything like that?