AT&T Contract compulsary?

mak156

Jun 7, 2008
with all this talk of the new iPhone being cheaper, does this mean that you cannot but the new 3g iPhone without being tied to an AT&T contract?

if so, this really puts a dampener of me getting an iPhone when i visit the states in july!

Is there any way around it if a contract is required?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
maybe i just missed it when i first got my iPhone, but what if you just bought the iPhone from AT&T, and didn't do the whole "registering and signing up for a rate plan" through iTunes? just getting it out of the box and unlocking/jailbreaking right then. i mean after all, there are iPhones on the market that you can buy (ebay, craigslist, etc) that aren't under contract, or did someone just buy it and get the contract then sell the iPhone and buy a cheaper phone to use during the remainder of their contract?

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
The new iPhone can ONLY be purchased through AT&T or at an Apple store and MUST be activated before you leave the store with it. That activation includes your nifty new 2 year contract

The 1st gen phones did not require activation at the store so many were unlocked and used on other carriers

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
The new iPhone can ONLY be purchased through AT&T or at an Apple store and MUST be activated before you leave the store with it. That activation includes your nifty new 2 year contract

The 1st gen phones did not require activation at the store so many were unlocked and used on other carriers
i stand corrected, great info right there, thanks!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I don't mind renewing my contract. Ive never waited for my contract to end before buying a new phone.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
anyone know what the cancellation fee is for the contract? would be interesting to see if it would be worth it to pay an extra 100 bucks to get out of it and possibly hit up another carrier? not sure as i have never cancelled on a contract but it is an option......

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Generally speaking, AT&T's initial subsidy is often $150, which is conveniently $25 less than what their Early Termination Fee is. One would think that paying the subsidy fee to AT&T would allow you to keep the phone after cancelling service. However, the letter sent to AT&T stores specifically said that those who cancel due to Buyer's Remorse MUST return the iPhone, or service will NOT be cancelled. That may change though.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
Word on the streets is ths gov is trying to do away with the fee for ending your contract early.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
anyone know what the cancellation fee is for the contract? would be interesting to see if it would be worth it to pay an extra 100 bucks to get out of it and possibly hit up another carrier? not sure as i have never cancelled on a contract but it is an option......
Most people don't understand ETF fees. those only apply after you've had the service for over 30 days. BRE (Buyer's Remorse) gives you the ability to return the phone and cancel service. It used to be 14 days return policy for the iPhone, now it will be 30 days, like all other phones. However, so far you MUST return the phone to cancel service. Again, you will not be able to cancel your service inless you bring back the phone. Here is an excerpt, and the link to this information...

New Activation Process and BRE:
The iPhone 3G will be activated at point of sale when the device is purchased, in store. The BRE period will change from 14 days to 30 days and will require the device to be returned to place of purchase before service is cancelled.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-the-details-you-never-wanted-to-know/#more-3885

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
so what if i lose my iPhone and don't like AT&T service and want to cancel it, are they going to not allow me to cancel my service because i can't produce a lost iPhone (which really was the draw to AT&T in the first place)? i just see this as an exculpatory claim that makes them look pretty self conscious and wouldn't hold up if someone challenged it in court.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Your points are quite valid Pepe. It almost seems like AT&T execs are writing these rules without checking with their legal teams to see if they comply with the law. I know if my iPhone 3G falls in the water Apple won't fix it for free so I won't buy another one. At that point, I should be able to switch to a razr and remove my data and text plan!

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
Your points are quite valid Pepe. It almost seems like AT&T execs are writing these rules without checking with their legal teams to see if they comply with the law. I know if my iPhone 3G falls in the water Apple won't fix it for free so I won't buy another one. At that point, I should be able to switch to a razr and remove my data and text plan!
exactly, you would think that the smart people working there should think of this stuff. then again we don't really have anything in writing at this point so who knows really. i could honestly see them trying to lock customers into a contract with the iPhone, or make them return it if they cancel it, but there are so many loop holes it seems damn near impossible.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Yeah dude theres no way around plus if they for some reason allow you to activate it at home, theirs a fine or something that charges you for not activating it in 30 days :(

trido

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
My local agent said that changed this MAY however if your contract was before MAY it is 175 cancell fee as far as I know
This idea I had we cancel our number -175 dollars day later go back add a line to family plan with iPhone for 199 for 2 year contract.
total
374 not bad but i do it if forced to.Oh and you would lose your current phone number i am sure.

Now of course assuming iPhone can be added to a 9.99 family phone line?

Trido

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
exactly, you would think that the smart people working there should think of this stuff. then again we don't really have anything in writing at this point so who knows really. i could honestly see them trying to lock customers into a contract with the iPhone, or make them return it if they cancel it, but there are so many loop holes it seems damn near impossible.
Well we cant all graduate from Harvard:p

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
Well we cant all graduate from Harvard:p
meh, harvard is for people who like to overpay for an education. i'm at michigan and i've met some stupid ass harvard grads. they definitely prove the idea of street smarts > book smarts in many situations