AT&T Data Throttling for High Usage Customers?

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
So, I read somewhere today that AT&T is planning to slow speeds for heave users on their networks. It said that once you hit some target that will be set, probably somewhere between 2 and 4 GB per month, your speed will be significantly reduced.

Anyone heard this?

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
So, I read somewhere today that AT&T is planning to slow speeds for heave users on their networks. It said that once you hit some target that will be set, probably somewhere between 2 and 4 GB per month, your speed will be significantly reduced.

Anyone heard this?
Yes, this is confirmed. There have been sone threads about it here, too. Starting October 1st, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Anyone heard this?
I would think it would be much higher than that. I'm guessing 10+ GB per month.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Whatever the limit is supposedly they will email/text/alert the individual that they will experience lower speeds until their next cycle starts. That would be interesting to see..hope when it rolls out somebody puts a post to show what it looks like.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Now that just goes till the end of the current billing cycle. And then u are back to full speed again. Correct?

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Now that just goes till the end of the current billing cycle. And then u are back to full speed again. Correct?
From what I read yes, speed goes back to normal, just as the data used resets to 0 when a new cycle starts.

Dec 17, 2008
PA
No surprise that Att refuses to tell us what will put us in the 5% bracket...didn't they tell us only 2% percent of users would be effected by the end of the unlimited plan?

That would mean anyone over 2GB gets capped.

How about just being honest Att? I don't trust these carriers a bit.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No surprise that Att refuses to tell us what will put us in the 5% bracket...didn't they tell us only 2% percent of users would be effected by the end of the unlimited plan?

That would mean anyone over 2GB gets capped.

How about just being honest Att? I don't trust these carriers a bit.
I disagree with that assumption. I've seen screenshots on this forum of 25 GB usage per month. These are the extreme users who are having a negative impact on the network and the ones they are referring to.

Dec 17, 2008
PA
I disagree with that assumption. I've seen screenshots on this forum of 25 GB usage per month. These are the extreme users who are having a negative impact on the network and the ones they are referring to.
Then why doesn't Att come out and tell us or approximate what will put us in the 5%?

I have 3 lines and we use 3Gb 2Gb and less then 300Mb.

I think that's representative of 95% of users.

The other thing is there is no limit to data.... It's not like it gets used up. I travel through 8 states a week and I never see slowdowns on 3G. Where are these folks at that are slowing down the network?

Since they make 10000% profit on texting, this is all about out charging us more and more money.

They already have told us 98% of their customers use less then 2GB.

That puts anyone over 2Gb in the top 5%....is my math wrong?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Maybe they don't want everyone to fixate on a number? There is a limit to data and data hogs do impact the network. There is more to it than just slowing it down, network reliability is a big factor. Read Tinman's posts in the I Hate You AT&T thread for more information on this. He said it best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 17, 2008
PA
Maybe they don't want everyone to fixate on a number? There is a limit to data and data hogs do impact the network. There is more to it than just slowing it down, network reliability is a big factor. Read Tinman's posts in the I Hate You AT&T thread for more information on this. He said it best.
Here their profits went up 39% since last year http://www.marketwatch.com/story/att-profit-rises-39-2011-04-20

Their businesss practices suck!

You must have your reasons for supporting Att's (or Verizon's ) practices ,but if any other businesss operated like the Carrier's...Americans would blow their stacks.

Comcast would charge extra if you use more then one TV, or allowed others to watch.

Pizza joints would charge extra if you wanted your pizza sliced and shared.

Its a commodity that we need like electricity, and we are all being taken advantage of.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Exactly what I was going to say, Mindy.

Why make that a target and end up with more than the just current high-consumption users trying to "almost" reach it each month.

This is particularly so if it was >5GB. Personally I think the throttling won't happen till around 7GB-10GB and I wouldn't want to advertise that fact either.

Keep in mind the unlimited iPhone data plan has been gone for well over a year now. Out of the people left who still have it, how many are really going to be affected by throttling? I say not very many (and Chex it won't be you :)).

Michael

Dec 17, 2008
PA
I'll be finding out what the number is and reporting back. I'll run my data up artificially to find out, because I am so disgusted by them.

They never offer me any money back on the lines that don't use data....

I want fairness! Just charge for what we use...What could be fairer then that?

It's just the principal.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Its a commodity that we need like electricity, and we are all being taken advantage of.
I'm glad you used electricity as a comparison as that is far more valid than cable TV.

Think that one through a bit and I am sure you would agree that there is no way any electric company is going to offer all-you-can-eat electric plans. You use more, you pay more. That is all the carriers are saying.

Based on your numbers above, you could have saved money by having 1 phone on the 200MB plan and the other 2 on the 2GB plan. The extra money you are paying has been subsidizing those using far more data than you use. Or stay where you are--you are not close to the kind of user AT&T will be targeting.

I myself have changed from unlimited to 2GB. Out of my 4 years with an iPhone my highest month of data, and that was an anomaly, was 872MB. So basically I was giving AT&T $5 per month for absolutely nothing other than to have the "potential" to use more data. God forbid one month I go over 2GB it is not going to kill me: it's just $10 for another GB.

Now what I do want is that unused data on capped plans should go to rollover data just as left over minutes go to rollover minutes.

Michael

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'll be finding out what the number is and reporting back. I'll run my data up artificially to find out, because I am so disgusted by them.
That is a disturbingly childish action.

Michael

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Here their profits went up 39% since last year http://www.marketwatch.com/story/att-profit-rises-39-2011-04-20

Their businesss practices suck!

You must have your reasons for supporting Att's (or Verizon's ) practices ,but if any other businesss operated like the Carrier's...Americans would blow their stacks.

Comcast would charge extra if you use more then one TV, or allowed others to watch.

Pizza joints would charge extra if you wanted your pizza sliced and shared.

Their businesss practices are no worse than any other carrier or big company in the US. All businessses need to make a profit.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state

They never offer me any money back on the lines that don't use data....

I want fairness! Just charge for what we use...What could be fairer then that?

It's just the principal.

If you feel that it is unfair or ridiculous you don't have to have a cell phone. It is a privilege not a right. And you pay for that right. Isn't like they are randomly charging you when you go over. You know what happens when you go over. The line has been drawn and you choose to cross it so you have to pay or it.
Speed limit signs are for the limit. some people choose to go 50 in a 60 zone. If you choose to go 65 you know that u are going over and are going to pay for it.
I know you won't like that analogy mindi lol

Dec 17, 2008
PA
If you feel that it is unfair or ridiculous you don't have to have a cell phone. It is a privilege not a right. And you pay for that right. Isn't like they are randomly charging you when you go over. You know what happens when you go over. The line has been drawn and you choose to cross it so you have to pay or it.
Speed limit signs are for the limit. some people choose to go 50 in a 60 zone. If you choose to go 65 you know that u are going over and are going to pay for it.
I know you won't like that analogy mindi lol
No unfortunately I do have to have a cell... I'm on call 24/7. So no it's not an option...or I would get rid of it. If you live in a world where a cell is an option your in a different world then I am. I don't really need electricity either or a house, or a car. Be kind hard to live with out them tho...

Again it's the principal, this throttling may not effect me...and between what work pays for on my bill and 24% FAN # my bill for 3 iPhones is very low.

Voices of dissension are the roots of change for unfair practices....

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
If you feel that it is unfair or ridiculous you don't have to have a cell phone. It is a privilege not a right. And you pay for that right.
don't you mean you pay for that privilege?