AT&T Drops Data Plan (and Edge) Upon Request

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I stumbled across this article that indicates that AT&T will drop your data plan (saving you $20) if you request it. According to the author, it also removes visual voicemail and EDGE access.

(NOTE: I would have posted this in the AT&T forum, but since it refers to EDGE, I thought some who would be interested would be more likely to catch it here)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wow... That's pretty interesting! Can you buy them without a data plan outright then?

I've recently noticed a bump in Edge speed... wonder if it's related? Maybe their servers getting bogged down from all the new "Edgies"?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Visual Voicemail is awesome. No way I could live without it.

And EDGE is necessary for me - I couldn't browse outside of my house.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Visual Voicemail is awesome. No way I could live without it.
you just reminded me!(that iPhone commercial with the guy who over-acts about visual voicemail)
did anyone see the new iPhone commercial last night? about the musical producer or something like that? i thought it was lamer than the others but owell

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
He did over react (it is not the invention of the century of whatever he called it) but it is pretty cool.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
He did over react (it is not the invention of the century of whatever he called it) but it is pretty cool.
that's exactly how i felt about it.

i wish i got more voicemails.. and when i do it's usually just confused friends/family because i tricked them by setting my voicemail to "hello? umm hellllo? anyone?"

i've been meaning to add "GOTCHA BI7CH" to the end of that but never got around to it... /sigh

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
More than half the "fun" of owning the iPhone (at least for me) is to have internet access EVERYWHERE. And for only $20! Personally I would not be without the data plan.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
More than half the "fun" of owning the iPhone (at least for me) is to have internet access EVERYWHERE. And for only $20! Personally I would not be without the data plan.
same here! there's no point to having the phone if you can't have "the internet" in your pocket..

if it did not have the internet, i would not have the iPhone

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
same here! there's no point to having the phone if you can't have "the internet" in your pocket..

if it did not have the internet, i would not have the iPhone
tell me about it! The Internet in your pocket is a god send! Without it is just lame. What's the point of having an iPhone without it? That's like eating only the buns of a hamburger to save money.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i agree.... data/internet is one of the things that makes this so cool

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
iPhone will be just like another phone if you don't use it to the capacity. I mean why would anyone want to spend $600 on a phone and then whine about the $20 Internet plan? You will not have mail, stocks, weather, you tube and Safari working! Its not that you will be on Wifi all the time.

I have to believe that its baseless to drop the Internet plan. We will only be using it as paper weight.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
guys relax! Not everyone uses the thing like you do. This will open up the market to people that, for one reason or another, can't or won't pay the $20/mo for a data plan. I know between work, home, and the places I frequent, I'm bathed in wifi 95% of the time. If I lived further in the city, I could get wifi anywhere. I'm certainly keeping my data plan for now, but times are changing...

Kipper

Bronze
Me personally, I need access to the internet at all times and can't be bothered trying to find a hot spot. On the other hand this might be good for some folks so cheers to AT & T.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Me personally, I need access to the internet at all times and can't be bothered trying to find a hot spot. On the other hand this might be good for some folks so cheers to AT & T.
exactly how i feel. plus what if you're constantly moving around, like in a car or walking downtown. i can't be bothered with having to connect to a different modem every few feet.

on a similar side note, i think it's funny when i'm on the highway using googlemaps and i keep picking up peoples wifi. i mean i'm like way off the ground.. so funny

:p