AT&T Early Cancellation Fee

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
Hello I literally cannot stand ATT, they are overpriced, customer service sucks, and the reception is poor in many locations.

I'm in a 2 year contract and was wondering if anyone knew what the fee for early termination is. If it is pro-rated, does anyone know how it is calculated.

Thanks in advance

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
Hello I literally cannot stand ATT, they are overpriced, customer service sucks, and the reception is poor in many locations. I'm in a 2 year contract and was wondering if anyone knew what the fee for early termination is. If it is pro-rated, does anyone know how it is calculated.
Why trust an answer from someone here, I'd just call or go to the AT&T site and get an accurate answer. Sometimes you can be successful getting it reduced or waived if you have a viable reason for termination.

swampduck

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
You also have 30 days to return it, just have to pay for the actual time used...if you haven't already passed that point

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
Why trust an answer from someone here, I'd just call or go to the AT&T site and get an accurate answer. Sometimes you can be successful getting it reduced or waived if you have a viable reason for termination.
I spent hours on the phone with ATT customer support and I don't want to spend any more time on the phone with them.

ATT reducing fees? yes right, they wont do that regardless of the issues you have.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
this is copied straight from the web site at att.....

Service Cancellation
You may cancel service within 30 days from the activation date to avoid the early termination fee of $175.

You will be responsible for all applicable usage fees, prorated access charges, taxes, surcharges or other charges through the termination date.

If you cancel service within the return period but do not return the equipment within the return period or if equipment is not returned in like-new condition, you may be charged the full retail price of the equipment.

If you paid a security deposit, it will take 1 to 2 billing cycles to process the return of the security deposit. The charges for service used on the account before the service termination date will be applied against the security deposit.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
why would you say this? this is a community that works mostly on trust that the answers to the questions asked are accurate, other wise what would be the point of the site to begin with?

S

ShortFlip

Agreed, any call to ATT is like calling a 3 year old for advice. They are very unorganized over there. I wish there was a 75$ cancellation fee! Usual fees are within the ranges of 175$ to 225$. Good luck trying to contend with ATT.

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
why would you say this? this is a community that works mostly on trust that the answers to the questions asked are accurate, other wise what would be the point of the site to begin with?
I certainly wasn't suggesting that the answers given here are routinely innaccurate, in fact, my experience is just the opposite. But the OPs question is related to his specific AT&T account, and only he and AT&T can determine what exactly he will have to pay. This is just one of those questions that we see over and over that have readily available answers from the SOURCE, as well as published information. And the list of answers given bears me out as there have been several different numbers given. Bottom line is, the customer needs to get with AT&T and come to an agreement.

I concede that my use of the phrase 'why TRUST an answer from someone here' wasn't a good choice. I should have said something like 'no one here can accurately tell you what kind of termination deal you will get with AT&T because of a number of variables'. I love this forum :laugh2:

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I just had to chime in and say I hate these termination fees (opposed to those that love them:p) and is one of the main reason's i do not yet own an iPhone. Good Job T-Mobile for locking me in 'till next semptember!

4 lines+$200 cancellation fee each=$800....So if I wanted to get an iPhone now it would probably range in the $1500 and up range for me and my family to all switch over and buy new phones and activate and yadda yadda yadda....

That's ok though, I've been saving up some cold hard cash and will continue to do so until september 08, by the time that rolls around I'll be able to pimp my iPhone out with whatever accessories I want, and possibly it will be a new model all together (more expensive, but I'll have it covered)!;)

Awww crap, I forgot I can't pay cash for this thing! LoL!:p

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
What's your problem? If you're trying to say that this site knows more about what's going on with AT&T than AT&T does, then you have NO clue. Why not call AT&T? Anyone with a brain could come to that conclusion. Except you, apparently...:(

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
What's your problem? If you're trying to say that this site knows more about what's going on with AT&T than AT&T does, then you have NO clue. Why not call AT&T? Anyone with a brain could come to that conclusion. Except you, apparently...:(

you are kidding me right? i mean you really are right,, that was soposed to be a happy face and not a frown.

First off who is to say that there are not many ATT employees that are members here that could have answered his question.

second this site would not know more about att then att does, becouse it it a site, the site knows nothing, the wonderful people of this site know stuff, so yes that is that.

third, many would argue that att does not know att, they are all screwed you cant get a straight answer form them any time that you call or visit the store.

there are many questions that are asked on here that can be avoided by using the search or simply calling Apple or att but if we all did that then we'd be simply entrained by the, "what is your favorite NES game?" or the "how my iPhone saved my ass" threads .

and my conclusion is that i have quite the brain.... :laugh2:

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
you are kidding me right? i mean you really are right,, that was soposed to be a happy face and not a frown.

First off who is to say that there are not many ATT employees that are members here that could have answered his question.

second this site would not know more about att then att does, becouse it it a site, the site knows nothing, the wonderful people of this site know stuff, so yes that is that.

third, many would argue that att does not know att, they are all screwed you cant get a straight answer form them any time that you call or visit the store.

there are many questions that are asked on here that can be avoided by using the search or simply calling Apple or att but if we all did that then we'd be simply entrained by the, "what is your favorite NES game?" or the "how my iPhone saved my ass" threads .

and my conclusion is that i have quite the brain.... :laugh2:
Ok. You do have a brain. I just dissagree with you pinching the guy's head off over it. That's all. A little taste of your own medicine.:laugh2:

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
Ok. You do have a brain. I just dissagree with you pinching the guy's head off over it. That's all. A little taste of your own medicine.:laugh2:
yes i was a bit harsh i agree. but the the point that i made and the point , if there was one, that you made are different. :laugh2:

i was just saying that we should trust the answers otherwise why even ask, you where saying that i said that this site is better then att, and that is not what i said...

..taste of my own medicine? thanks DOC...

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
yes i was a bit harsh i agree. but the the point that i made and the point , if there was one, that you made are different. :laugh2:

i was just saying that we should trust the answers otherwise why even ask, you where saying that i said that this site is better then att, and that is not what i said...

..taste of my own medicine? thanks DOC...[/quo

Well, as you know, there is a plathora of missinformation here as well. But the answers ARE here. You are correct.:laugh2:

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca

BTW.. this is why not call att.. [taken from this same thread]

I spent hours on the phone with ATT customer support and I don't want to spend any more time on the phone with them.

ATT reducing fees? yes right, they wont do that regardless of the issues you have.
;) i know .. im good...

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Good luck trying to contend with ATT.
I agree, it's just like calling Apple support when I got the Blue Screen of Death after my Leopard Upgrade on a 1 month old MacBook Pro. The "genius" that answered the phone says that there is no such thing. So I sent him a picture in an email of my Mac, making sure to show the keyboard and entire computer not just the screen. Suddenly he offered to escalate the call. To make a very long story short, my MBP has been tossed in the corner until Apples Geniuses, can come up with a fix.

Oh well it was only money.

And my iPhone still dials out, flippin amazing!

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
Wow, what a mess. Hey, when it comes right down to it, the ONLY place he can get an accurate answer for his situation is to call AT&T and ask. No answer given here means diddly because it is AT&T that is going to demand the fee (or not demand it or reduce it or...), and they will only tell him if and when he calls THEM. I wasn't trying to make and comment on the contributors here on the forum. BTW, appreciate your comments OJ.