AT&T employee offers to sell me unlocked iPhone for $650, scam?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

kludge

Oct 23, 2007
Basically what the title said.

I met an AT&T employee, that said he can hook me up with an unlocked iPhone for $650.

I think he is legit because:

1. I met him in person so no spam or ebay scam.
2. His job is on the line if he scams me.
3. I asked him questions I already knew to see how he responds (e.g. The 1.1.1 firmware update and iPhone bricking) and he responded well.
4. He works for AT&T and MIGHT have access to legit tools.
5. He gave me his cell number, so I can contact him.

Reasons he may not be Legit:

1. $650 is very steep, the iPhone is $400, I know he needs to make a profit but $250?!
2. He looks abit shady (It could just be a gut feeling), and he probibly only works at AT&T part-time, so he wont care if he loses his job.
3. He offers to sell me an ALREADY unlocked iPhone.....I heard those can be indications of a Scam.
4. He seems very hesistant whenever I ask to lower the price a little bit or about the risks involved in the iPhone.

What do you all think? Should I buy it from him? $650 is ALOT of money.....and my parents (I'm 17) says they will get it for me but if anything happeneds to the phone (and since the warranty is void) they will not replace the phone or do anything to help me, "I will pay, but proceed at your own risk" they said.

What you think? Scam or Legit?

What if I just bought the iPhone from the Apple store, I heard the new ones wont work with unlocking because of the 1.1.1 firmware update. I actually thought of buying the legit iPhone then going to Chinatown or something then get it unlocked........has anyone had unlocked their iPhones unlocked by someone else before? If so what was the price you paid?

p.s. I am an American Citizen but I go to boarding school in the UK- I want an unlocked phone to use in the UK (I use Vodafone).

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
hmm..
i wouldn't spend that much on an iPhone, ever.

maybe if you were buying it from a friend or something, but it seems really sketchy giving that much money to a stranger, who isn't selling you this through the company.

and how did you meet him? i mean i could say i work there too..

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
No way. I would steer clear. the price is too steep, and just because he works for AT&T, doesn't mean diddlely squat when it comes to unlocked iPhones. Apple is the one that has the proper codes and such to pull that off. Now if an Apple employee made that offer, it would be worth looking into, but an AT&T rep... leave it alone. If you got 399 to buy a regular iPhone at the store, then do it, get the warranty and lose the worry.

kludge

Oct 23, 2007
hmm..
i wouldn't spend that much on an iPhone, ever.

maybe if you were buying it from a friend or something, but it seems really sketchy giving that much money to a stranger, who isn't selling you this through the company.

and how did you meet him? i mean i could say i work there too..
I met him at the AT&T store! He was wearing his name badge and uniform and everything.

I asked him how he will get the phone and when, he said "I don't know yet, because the guy that does it...blah blah" WHAT GUY?! :eek:

I don't KNOW! Arrghh! I need the phone by the 29th because I am leaving to UK then!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If the iPhone was $650 at launch, yes, I would pay it. But this, is definitely a scam. AT&T guy, offering unlocked iPhone, for a price that is $250 above normal no way.

kludge

Oct 23, 2007
If the iPhone was $650 at launch, yes, I would pay it. But this, is definitely a scam. AT&T guy, offering unlocked iPhone, for a price that is $250 above normal no way.
That was what I was thinking! I asked him to lower the price abit but he then started to hesitate and said, "$650 isn't really that bad....ummm err...UMM..ERR...you know Edward? Yeah that guy that works in the store with me, him and his friends charge like $700 $800!"....

But I told him the protocol, when I meet him with the finished product- I will have $650 IN CASH within my pocket......I will put in my UK simcard and we will both test out everything TOGETHER until I am satisfied with everything.

He agreed to everything.

If I am not satisfied I will walk away with my cash.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Dude, just go to eBay and buy one. There are loads of iPhones for sale there, all unlocked. Or maybe even try craigslist (www.craigslist.com). Local people are always selling unlocked iPhones on there.

Or you can wait until Nov and grab one when they come out in the UK. They have been hacking phones for years out there. Pop into a local mobile phone store, give them your phone, hand over 10 pounds, they unlock, you're on your merry way.

buttsecks

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
strange that you bring that up because one of my co workers recently approached me about getting an iPhone. he has a N95 and wants to get rid of it for an iPhone. so he went to his tmobile store (where he has a contract with his n95) and asked them if they have any iPhones. they told him they can sell him an unlocked iPhone for $750 and add it to his contract. i told him thats insanity and to just buy an iPhone and unlock it himself. he said he is probably just going to switch to att.

i found it really weird that a tmobile employee would tell him that

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
strange that you bring that up because one of my co workers recently approached me about getting an iPhone. he has a N95 and wants to get rid of it for an iPhone. so he went to his tmobile store (where he has a contract with his n95) and asked them if they have any iPhones. they told him they can sell him an unlocked iPhone for $750 and add it to his contract. i told him thats insanity and to just buy an iPhone and unlock it himself. he said he is probably just going to switch to att.

i found it really weird that a tmobile employee would tell him that
wow that sounds weird/shady too..
t-mobile will do anything for businesss XD

iPhone8801

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
Sounds like a gigantic enormous SCAM!

Did you seriously have to list out the reasons to this forum and ask for the users opinions? SERIOUSLY?

Go with your gut feeling (as you stated). On the other hand, some people just want to make a buck out of 15 cents.

BUT $250 profit? c'mon. What an F-ing RIP!

kludge

Oct 23, 2007
Dude, just go to eBay and buy one. There are loads of iPhones for sale there, all unlocked. Or maybe even try craigslist (www.craigslist.com). Local people are always selling unlocked iPhones on there.

Or you can wait until Nov and grab one when they come out in the UK. They have been hacking phones for years out there. Pop into a local mobile phone store, give them your phone, hand over 10 pounds, they unlock, you're on your merry way.
Thank you SO MUCH. I tried craigslist and I found EXCELLENT prices with respectable people! The average prices are like $450-550, I can't believe I got ripped off so badly.

THANKS!

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Thank you SO MUCH. I tried craigslist and I found EXCELLENT prices with respectable people! The average prices are like $450-550, I can't believe I got ripped off so badly.

THANKS!
What are you talking about? Ok, let me first start off and say that I think this ENTIRE post is bogus. You just confirmed it for me by what you said....you got ripped off. You've been posting that you are thinking of buying it.....no wait...you're parents are going to buy it. According to you, no money had exchanged hands. You were going to insert your sim and together you an this guy were going to watch magic happen.... so how did you get ripped off?

eBay/craigslist.... you have NO idea that you arent going to get ripped that way either. ANYONE can post that they have an unlocked iPhone to sell you. By the gist of this thread, someone could sell you swamp land too and you'd consider buying it.

Sorry, but I aint buying none of this.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Hmm, you may want to explore certain avenues before knocking them.

eBay has a lot of protection in place for buyers and sellers. I am a Power Seller on eBay and I've also purchased a lot of expensive gear from eBay. Yes a couple of times I have received what you define as "swamp land". But a quick email to the eBay resolution center has fixed the problem for me in a matter of hours (they have a $2000 protection policy for all buyers/sellers). If they could not help me, a call to my CC company fixed the problem. That is a lot more secure than buying something from a dodgy AT&T salesman. They are obviously stolen!

Don't be so negative. "Just because you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good".

What are you talking about? Ok, let me first start off and say that I think this ENTIRE post is bogus. You just confirmed it for me by what you said....you got ripped off. You've been posting that you are thinking of buying it.....no wait...you're parents are going to buy it. According to you, no money had exchanged hands. You were going to insert your sim and together you an this guy were going to watch magic happen.... so how did you get ripped off?

eBay/craigslist.... you have NO idea that you arent going to get ripped that way either. ANYONE can post that they have an unlocked iPhone to sell you. By the gist of this thread, someone could sell you swamp land too and you'd consider buying it.

Sorry, but I aint buying none of this.