AT&T existing customer

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I am an existing AT&T (Cingular) customer. If I purchase an iPhone can I take it home, switch sim chips and start using it?

I know you need the data package which is $20 to get email/web and Virtual Voicemail. I just want to know if I'm going to be able to make and receive phone calls out of the box with my old sim chip or do I have to call AT&T anyways.

ximermot

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
nope, won't work. i had the same idea when I got mine, tried it and didn't work. i previously had a blackjack with a 3g sim card.

art

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I am an existing AT&T (Cingular) customer. If I purchase an iPhone can I take it home, switch sim chips and start using it?

I know you need the data package which is $20 to get email/web and Virtual Voicemail. I just want to know if I'm going to be able to make and receive phone calls out of the box with my old sim chip or do I have to call AT&T anyways.
Apple has some funky sim they preload into the phone and it will only work with that. Plus if you remove it an put it into one of the other phones you have it will cripple that phone. It's to make the iPhone look better.

On the AT&T site, it says that using the iPhone sim in another phone will only provide you with MediaNet services, not the internet. It kills the functionality of your other Phone. I know I tried it.

If you really want an iPhone the best thing to do is prepare to spend a lot of money.

This is what I did, and it's not so much that I really wanted or needed an iPhone, I just did it because I could and would rather not have to trust that an iPhone is reliable enough to take the place of one of my other phones. I must have a reliable phone, and I already do, so I wanted to leave it alone so I would have something that I could count on.

It's kind of like when I bought my first MacBook Pro, it got so hot it blew up and I was screwed. I had to go out and by another PC based laptop so I could continue to work with a computer I could count on. It took Apple over two weeks to return my MacBook Pro and it still was not fixed.

So do yourself a favor and don't make yourself vulnerable to something that may or may not work.

Keep your existing plan and phone number for your current phone. Then start fresh with Apple and AT&T. They will sell you a Second Two year contract, a new phone number an Apple proprietary sim and then you will have your iPhone. A very expensive solution as it will double your cell phone bill, but you will have the safety of knowing you have one phone that works.

Then you will be safe.

mach1mustang_101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
anyways. just buy the phone take it home hook it up to iTunes and you'll be running in no time. as long as your sim works like its supposed to. its just gonna be 20$ more then what you pay already.