AT&T FaceTime

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xxsirvtecxx, Sep 15, 2012.

1. xxsirvtecxx

xxsirvtecxx Member
    Bronze

So I just heard that AT&T is charging for facetime over 3G/4G? wtf and Sprint & Verizon isn't? Not like they are already screwing me over with not allowing me to do a full discounted upgrade AGAIN, now they want to take away something all the other carriers of the same exact phone is giving away for free? Granted we can talk and surf great, it really is, but not facetime as well? kinda lame, tell me this isn't true?

2. chadomaly

chadomaly New Member

I'm assuming once the jailbreak hits we can use things like my3g to get around it as usual?

Or does FaceTime have some sort of distinctive data stream that can be blocked or detected on carrier side?

3. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I'm in no way defending AT&T, but this simply isn't true. In order to access FaceTime over 3G/LTE you have to sign up with one of their shared data plans. Shady? Yes. But charging you extra for it? Absolutely not.

Most are upset with this simply because they don't want the lose their unlimited data plans which AT&T are trying to kill off.

4. BigCiX

BigCiX Zealot
    Gold

There's ways around face time. Tango for example.

5. chadomaly

chadomaly New Member

I just use tango with Android folks. Otherwise it's nice to have the native function integration. I'd assume we will be fine again once the jb comes out.

FaceTime is data, and I have unlimited data for a price they agreed to. Workaround here I come. Hopefully.

6. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Just out of curiosity, how much data do you use per month?

7. chadomaly

chadomaly New Member

Not much. I'm usually around wifi and have a vzw mifi with unlimited data from work that I use a lot (they have LTE in the area whereas the AT&T is 3G), so I usually don't even cross 1gb on my data.

I just cling to the unlimited because it's there and I know it probably won't come back if I lose it. One of those "someday I'll need this" scenarios.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

9. xxsirvtecxx

xxsirvtecxx Member
    Bronze

Yeah well now im hearing they are allowing it just basically is going to suck up data...well of course, but the fact that AT&T supposed "Unlimited Plan" really is a service that is limited and throttled. as if i wasn't already outraged because of that B.S

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

11. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Complaints worked to make double-charging for tethering illegal. Let's hope they work here, too.