AT&T Forces Me Into Data Plan On Sons Phone

goheels42

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Connecticut 860
Well, my son got a text message today from AT&T saying he has a iPhone and that a data plan was needed for it, and that as of today he had a data unlimited plan added onto his phone. My son has my old iPhone 2g, his line was activated with a Razor, 1 year ago, and I put his SIM card into the 2G end of last year, he's been using this line, with a internet block on it the whole time. So I called customer service and they said any Apple phone regardless of what model or when bought needed a data plan. I threw everything at them, asked what if his original phone was stolen, what were my options, they said continue with the iPhone and data plan or pay for a new device, which would be full price because he wasn't due for an upgrade. Or terminate the line for $100. So, I put the sim back in his razor, but this seems like BS to me, how can they force me into a data package?

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
And it's in your contract. This upsets many people so you're not alone. Too much data is constantly being used by both native and AppStore apps and they won't make good money off of you if you don't pay for it. :p

rebel97

Feb 26, 2009
Malvern, Arkansas
It sucks I know, but you can go with the new data plan for $15 a month and save a few bucks over the so called. Unlimited plan, that is by the way capped at 6gig.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
It sucks I know, but you can go with the new data plan for $15 a month and save a few bucks over the so called. Unlimited plan, that is by the way capped at 6gig.
That cap is for "data only" accounts. The iPhone Unlimited data is truly "unlimited".

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
That cap is for "data only" accounts. The iPhone Unlimited data is truly "unlimited".
Well that plan doesn't really exist anymore lol

@goheels: All smartphones require a data plan as far as I know. You could take the SIM out if you don't want to pay for data...

goheels42

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Connecticut 860
Thats what I did, I took the SIM out and put it back in his Razor. So he basically has an iPod touch. I've had every iPhone, I kept the 2G, sold the 3G, and will be selling my 3GS, I just can't swallow how AT&T has the right to force you into a data package even if a smart phone was never purchased on that line. Oh well, I'm already giving them $200 a month, between me, my wife and 2 kids lines, won't be adding to that amount any time soon.

chrish

Jun 21, 2010
I feel your pain. I pay for the data plan and almost always have to rely on my separate WI-FI to do anything. Text messaging requires the AT&T data service that I barely get (a lot of them I have to resend from the highest point in my house). And the picmail, well, *sigh*. At least from home I can use my land line and my iPhone works when I go into town so I'm not totally out. But I still love my iPhone and especially the apps despite all this and wouldn't trade it for anything. I just hope AT&T service gets better out here in the boonies. I am an hour and 1/4 south of the Mpls/St. Paul metro.

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
Hmmm...this is not what I heard. Can you confirm / support this somehow? I was under the impression that "unlimited" data does, indeed, cap out at 6 gigs even for iPhones. I like your plan better though, especially with the new Netflix app due out this summer.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Hmmm...this is not what I heard. Can you confirm / support this somehow? I was under the impression that "unlimited" data does, indeed, cap out at 6 gigs even for iPhones. I like your plan better though, especially with the new Netflix app due out this summer.
Apparently that how it "used" to be. This "soft cap" at 5GB is more or less a warning call from AT&T if you exceed it. Or perhaps you could call it a re-evaluation of your data needs. It is extremely difficult for the average user to come even close to that though. Power users who tether could probably hit that mark fairly easily. Although when I browse service plans on the AT&T website, there is a tab specifically for Data Only accounts. Of course none of this matters anymore (for new subscribers) since they've modified data plans and removed the unlimited plan (unless you were granfathered in). :p

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
Hitting 6 gigs won't be that difficult when people start watching movies or episodes of 30 Rock on Netflix through their phone--it's only hard to get there if you're NOT streaming video. If you are, it's fairly easy...though I suppose they may have found a way to compress the video to reduce bandwith usage. At any rate I am grandfathered in, which is why I wanted to clarify the cap issue. Thanks, KrakaJap.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
I'm grandfathered in myself :) Streaming video will definitely use a lot. I always forget about video because I don't stream to my iPhone. I have an iPad for that LOL

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

kmp282

Jun 29, 2010
ATT has just recently and automatically added a data plan to my 4 phones. The original phones I received when I signed up for the two year plan have all died and out of warranty. i bought 3 iPhone 2G via ebay. The fourth is a Blackberry from the Cingular days. To avoid the data plans ATT unfairly requires the consumer to purchase a non compatible cellular phone, or extend their plan another two years to get new non smart phones, or pay the early termination fee. or accept their fees. This is an unfair and anticompetitive businesss practice and should be illegal. Write your congressman and your senators as well as the FCC complaints.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
ATT has just recently and automatically added a data plan to my 4 phones. The original phones I received when I signed up for the two year plan have all died and out of warranty. i bought 3 iPhone 2G via ebay. The fourth is a Blackberry from the Cingular days. To avoid the data plans ATT unfairly requires the consumer to purchase a non compatible cellular phone, or extend their plan another two years to get new non smart phones, or pay the early termination fee. or accept their fees. This is an unfair and anticompetitive businesss practice and should be illegal. Write your congressman and your senators as well as the FCC complaints.
There's really nothing unfair about it as all providers require a data plan for smart phones if I'm not mistaken. And when you consider the alternative, using a smart phone without a data plan and paying the per-use data rates, the data plans are a better deal. It is also a part of your contract when setting up a smart phone so "technically" avoiding a data plan is illegal by contract. At least AT&T now gives us a tiered data plan solution as opposed to a flat $30 unlimited plan. This really helps out those who do not use much data at all. Whether we like it or not, data plans are a part of the deal should we choose to get a smart phone.

kmp282

Jun 29, 2010
Thanks for writing back: While it is true the providers require a data plan "IF" one got their smart phone at the time of contract. That is fair. They offset the cost of equipment provided by the contract voice and data commitment.

Mine is not the case. I purchased the iPhones through Ebay after the 2 year commitment to ATT. My Original commitment did not use smart phones. iPhones were not available (first available June 07) at the time I committed to the ATT plan. They were still Cingular then.

On DATA usage: There are other alternatives besides ATT data plans to get to the internet using a Smart Phone.. Examples include free WIFI HOTSPOTS or home based WIFI. Or one can unlock the iPhone and switch to T-Mobile. It works fine and T-Mobile does not require a data contract. However T-mobile has limited coverage in the mid west. One just has to accept the fact that one cannot have 24/7 internet access.
The Blackberry 7130c does not use 3G Internet access is through the old RIM GSM (extremely limited) standards. Yet att charged me anyway.

So I believe it is an unfair an anti competitive businesss practice. I made my commitment to ATT, now without my agreement they are forcing me to pay for something I will seldom if never use.

MrDru07

Jun 12, 2010
MO
I'm glad I found this post because it might answer my question. I live in the Midwest too. So, if I buy an iPhone then I am required to buy a data plan? Anything else?...I can set up a text and/or calling plan later right?

MrDru07

Jun 12, 2010
MO
Yeah I just called AT&T and they said regardless if you use mostly wifi you still need a data and calling plan...that sucks but understandable.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
kmp282 said:
Thanks for writing back: While it is true the providers require a data plan "IF" one got their smart phone at the time of contract. That is fair. They offset the cost of equipment provided by the contract voice and data commitment.

Mine is not the case. I purchased the iPhones through Ebay after the 2 year commitment to ATT. My Original commitment did not use smart phones. iPhones were not available (first available June 07) at the time I committed to the ATT plan. They were still Cingular then.

On DATA usage: There are other alternatives besides ATT data plans to get to the internet using a Smart Phone.. Examples include free WIFI HOTSPOTS or home based WIFI. Or one can unlock the iPhone and switch to T-Mobile. It works fine and T-Mobile does not require a data contract. However T-mobile has limited coverage in the mid west. One just has to accept the fact that one cannot have 24/7 internet access.
The Blackberry 7130c does not use 3G Internet access is through the old RIM GSM (extremely limited) standards. Yet att charged me anyway.

So I believe it is an unfair an anti competitive businesss practice. I made my commitment to ATT, now without my agreement they are forcing me to pay for something I will seldom if never use.
"When" you sign the contract makes no difference. The data plans are tied to the device you are using at any point in your contract. In your case, purchasing and using a smart phone on a contract you already had will automatically upgrade you to a new data plan. Think of it this way... at least they're not terminating your old contract early, charging you an early termination fee, and then forcing you to sign a new contract to use the new iPhone (on their own that is). :) Basically it's all covered under contract by all providers. The cost may be arguable and I'm definitely not saying I like it, but they're in a businesss to make money. lol They're not just going to give us this service for free. And I would imagine it's more difficult than many realize to apply and manage certain usage blocks on many accounts to allow for some type of data plan opt in/out.

This same argument can be applied to television packages. Why should we have to pay 100% of a package we only watch 10% of? :p it's all about the money and it's definitely not like we don't have many options.

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
"When" you sign the contract makes no difference. The data plans are tied to the device you are using at any point in your contract. In your case, purchasing and using a smart phone on a contract you already had will automatically upgrade you to a new data plan. Think of it this way... at least they're not terminating your old contract early, charging you an early termination fee, and then forcing you to sign a new contract to use the new iPhone (on their own that is). :) Basically it's all covered under contract by all providers. The cost may be arguable and I'm definitely not saying I like it, but they're in a businesss to make money. lol They're not just going to give us this service for free. And I would imagine it's more difficult than many realize to apply and manage certain usage blocks on many accounts to allow for some type of data plan opt in/out.

This same argument can be applied to television packages. Why should we have to pay 100% of a package we only watch 10% of? :p it's all about the money and it's definitely not like we don't have many options.

You are exactly right. It's written in the contract and its not in small print either, trust me. All carriers require this and there is no getting around it.

I personally don't see the point of having a smart phone with no data anyways. Its like having a phone with a full keyboard and no texting plan.