AT&T hotspots

gmemon

Jul 7, 2007
Hello,

I am new to AT&T and iPhone, so this probably a pretty basic question. I realize that At&t does not have as many hotspots as tmobile. Will it be possible to use an AT&T hotspot with your iPhone without any additional cost or subscription?

Thanks

rj5620

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
Would like to surf free at Mickey Dees

Will cost you $19.99 month for ATT wi-fi access, 8000 McDonalds's have this ATT wi-fi. Too bad as ATT cellular customers, we can't get a value for these hot spots. The listing below mentions that the 19.95 fee is for non ATT INTERNET customers. Unless you have ATT as your internet dial-up, broadband provider, you must pay the fee.

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=5949

MacFreak

Jul 5, 2007
Not really.. If you really have att account and only cost you about $2 buck for wifi..

AT&T News:
T&T has announced its intentions to open up its Wi-Fi hotspots to select broadband customers. The Associated Press reports that subscribers to the company’s Pro, Elite and FastAccess plans will soon be able to connect to any of the official hotspots for free, which number to about 10,000 across the US in locations such as airports, bookstores, restaurants and coffee shops. Subscribers with cheaper plans will be able to pay $2 per month for the same access, or $8 per day if they are non-subscribers. No reason for the discount has been given, but the move likely coincides with the launch of the iPhone, which depends heavily on Wi-Fi as a selling point.

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
I was at a Barnes & Noble bookstore and I was able to get free wifi. My iPhone automatically joined the signal. There were pamphlets from AT&T that read "Your World Without Wires: AT&T Wifi". Inside it describes their main hotspots including McDonalds, Barnes & Noble, Avis rental cars, and the UPS Store.

The pamphlet indicates it is a pay service but I was able to get on for free. Strange.

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I was at mcdonalds this weekend and got onto their wifi in the parking lot, i don't pay for any wifi plans and worked fine. Don't eat a bigmac and fries while using safari! lol

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
Wow. Are you sure it was the McDonald's wifi, and not somebody else's? If so, this is good to know. My friend just got her iPhone and the closest public wifi spot is McDonald's. I'll tell her to check it out. Thanks.

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Wow. Are you sure it was the McDonald's wifi, and not somebody else's? If so, this is good to know. My friend just got her iPhone and the closest public wifi spot is McDonald's. I'll tell her to check it out. Thanks.
i tried it at 2 other mcdonalds and i connected as (att wifi)

Jul 17, 2007
did you have enter an ID/Password to get access to the hotspot? or it just connected and you started browsing?

When I tried to surf www.google.com at a barnes and noble, it popped up with a login page that asked for a login or pay before I could surf.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I went to B&N the other night to check this out. Man did I screw up ! :) Little did I know it was Harry Potter night! It was wilder than iDay as far as the costumes, activities for the kids etc. But I digress.....

The ole iPhone saw the ATT hotspot immediately but only offerred a variety of choices to login or pay a daily fee.

I just got off the phone with another brilliant ATT CSR guy who claimed to know absolutely nothing about it or any $1.99 add on plan for iPhone folks. He was sure I was stupid anad it was an issue for Apple anad insisted he get an Apple guy on the phone to explain to me that yes some places charge for their wifi access and to help me learn to use wifi on my phone. Well duhhuh, who don't know that. I told ATT guy he was wasting his time and of course he was. Apple guy of course said sure you ahve to pay some places and I assured him I knew that but that this was an ATT sponsored wifi spot which is why I was trying to find out about it.

Then I kept telling the ATT guy that it was free for their DSL customers so he wanted to move me over to the DSL folks and maybe they knew aboutt it. Good lord! in mean time while I had the Apple guy on the line, I figured I'd asked a quick ? about the Call Forwarding Active/Dismiss issue many of us ahve every time we make a call with the extra button we ahve to hit. After both guys confirmed I ahd CAllFwd turned off, he wanted to know exactly what the message said and implied it was the first he'd heard of the issue.So I tried to add a conference call to make it appear and in so doing I got the message but cut them both off.

Guess it was too much to hope for that they could ahve called back since they had my number.

Oh well........ that's all I've been able to find out for now.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
more info

SO I call back to try another ATT CSR and again this guy had absolutely no clue what I was talking about and started through the well sir you ahve unlimited wifi on your datta plan etc. I stop him, try to explain it, read to him right from the ATT web page and he still had no clue so I read him the url so he can go to it

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=5949

He had not heard of it and knew nothing about it. that page distinctly mentions the iPhone but does not specifically state that iPhone customers can sign up for the $1.99/mo plan. Then he finds down in the fine print that it is not available yet in a few states, one of which is mine (SC), but it was available at Barnes&Noble the other night but he says well its the subscription service that is not available.

I asked why he on the wireless side would know nothing about this and got allot of hemming and hawing. He said he have to study up and ask some more about it. This after telling me it did not exist and was just a message board rumor........

Anyone else tried to call about it?

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
I was at a Barnes & Noble a while back and thought I was on the wifi but I wasn't really. My iPhone found the signal and then I checked some email. I think it switched to Edge. When I was at B&N on MOnday the phone found the signal again and when I tried to go to Safari, the page wouldn't load. I wasn't ever prompted to input a password though I was at the local McDonald's.