AT&T: How's the service?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I am holding out for an iPhone until the service improves and the bugs are worked out. Was just curious what the feedback is on AT&T's service. Has it improved? I've had bad experience in the past with weak signal/dropped calls, painfully slow edge, poor volume, etc.

I've posted a link below from CNET about other AT&T user's experiences. Is it really still this bad?

http://cnn2-cnet.com.com/cell-phones/at-38-t-formerly/4852-6454_7-32137726-1.html?ord=&tag=nav
So tired of hearing this generalized "just waiting" comment.

There are no bugs, really. What type of service "improvements" are you looking for?

Point is, if you can afford the phone, and you want it, but are still "waiting", you're missing out on the best part of having this phone. Being one of the first.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
exactly.. what are the bugs? if you have the money, then go buy it.. this thing has the best display ever made in a phone and the applications open up so fast.. the service is fine.. it's gonna be way better when my city gets free wifi, I'll be on wifi all day with blazing speeds

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
So tired of hearing this generalized "just waiting" comment.

There are no bugs, really. What type of service "improvements" are you looking for?
There are no bugs, really? Why are there numerous posts on here about the issues affecting people - All the bugs that people have posted. I am sure Apple will correct the iPhone issues. I am just trying to find out if the carrier's service has gotten better from the bad reviews.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I switched from Verizon to AT&T, and I have had NO problems whatsoever with coverage in the Pittsburgh market.

It was something of a leap of faith considering that I had AT&T once before (right before they became Cingular), and the coverage was atrocious. I would go from full signal to no signal just from walking from one side of my house to the next.

I'm happy to report no problems. I have almost full bars practically everywhere I go. There's one little gully I drive through on the way to & from work where it gets a little spotty, but that was a problem for Verizon, too. So far, so good. Hopefully I'll find the same to be true as I travel with my iPhone.

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I switched from Verizon to AT&T, and I have had NO problems whatsoever with coverage in the Pittsburgh market.

It was something of a leap of faith considering that I had AT&T once before (right before they became Cingular), and the coverage was atrocious. I would go from full signal to no signal just from walking from one side of my house to the next.

I'm happy to report no problems. I have almost full bars practically everywhere I go. There's one little gully I drive through on the way to & from work where it gets a little spotty, but that was a problem for Verizon, too. So far, so good. Hopefully I'll find the same to be true as I travel with my iPhone.
Great! This is the type of feedback I was looking for. :cool:

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
There are no bugs, really? Why are there numerous posts on here about the issues affecting people - All the bugs that people have posted. I am sure Apple will correct the iPhone issues. I am just trying to find out if the carrier's service has gotten better from the bad reviews.
There are not a major number of "bugs" i.e. errors, problems with the software. There are some issues that people are complaining about that are important to them, such as Instant Messaging, Copy/Paste, No Video Capture, but the vast majority of these things are not major when you consider the phone in it's entirety.

The "waiting for bugs to be fixed" is overblown and overused. And many people are tired of hearing it. My suggestion, go to an Apple store to demo the phone for yourself and then make your determination.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
speeds on EDGE are fine... I just opened up yahoo and the page completely loaded in 20 seconds.. I can deal with 20 seconds.. can you?

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
There are not a major number of "bugs" i.e. errors, problems with the software. There are some issues that people are complaining about that are important to them, such as Instant Messaging, Copy/Paste, No Video Capture, but the vast majority of these things are not major when you consider the phone in it's entirety.

The "waiting for bugs to be fixed" is overblown and overused. And many people are tired of hearing it. My suggestion, go to an Apple store to demo the phone for yourself and then make your determination.
For me, very low headset and speaker phone volume is a concern. However, I am trying to get feedback on AT&T's service. Thank you!

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
I have mixed feeling about Cingular. I've been a customer for 10 years all the way back to when it was Cellular One or whatever. I've had 5 phones over the 10 years I've been a customer. All the phones I've had have been fine, except my last one. It was a motorola v551. By far the worst phone I've ever had. I always received calls, but I'd drop them all the time. Sometimes 2-3 times in a 10 minute conversation. I never knew if it was Att or the phone, and people who had cingular always said that they didn't have this problem. So I assumed it was the phone.

Since getting the iPhone, i've been on multiple conversations that have lasted over 10-12 minutes and haven't had a drop. I'm satisfied with the coverage so far.

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
speeds on EDGE are fine... I just opened up yahoo and the page completely loaded in 20 seconds.. I can deal with 20 seconds.. can you?

Definitely! One of the reviews stated that Yahoo took 2 minutes to open. Perhaps AT&T improved their edge speeds?

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
For me, very low headset and speaker phone volume is a concern. However, I am trying to get feedback on AT&T's service. Thank you!
I had Sprint before Jeff. When I had the initial RAZR, the sound quality wasn't as good. I notice that the clarity on both ends is very good with the iPhone. Edge is fine and the data plans are sweet.

My guess is that the low volume issue will be addressed, but until then, I rarely use the speaker phone. The headset volume is fine, you can always use a BT headset if it's an issue, but it's not for me, even when in the car.

Hope this helps.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
it probably depends on your signal.. I have 5 full bars at home so everything opens up fast.. the maps application is super fast on EDGE too.. so I have no complaints.. before I bought the iPhone, I thought that EDGE would be so slow and it was almost a deal breaker.. but it's not even as bad as I thought it would be so I'm happy

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I have let lots of people play with my iPhone, and even when browsing the web with EDGE, almost all of them are surprised at how quickly pages load. What sets the iPhone apart is how the pages render & how easy it is to navigate through them. By the numbers, my Verizon Wireless Moto Q was connected to the web at a faster speed, but it was torture trying to navigate around a web page, and the screen size was tiny.

Fortunately, I'm connected to the web via WiFi both at home and at work. Probably 80% of my web browsing has occurred when I had a WiFi signal available.