AT&T Improving EDGE network speed?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Check out this article. I really hope it is true :).
I saw that posted on another forum last night and it's so true in that last statement. I wish had included 3G, but with At&t upgrading the EDGE capabilities, it will certainly help.

They're also supposed to have all Apple stores up and running with strong At&t networks by today. June 5th was the deadline for this upgrade.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
If the iPhone will require a data plan, I'm certainly passing on the iPhone. $40 or even $20 is way too much money to pay for dialup speeds. Sorry AT&T, seems a little bit too late.

(For those used to measuring their download speeds in Safari in Kilobytes, you're looking at 25K/sec max on AT&T's network...)

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
If the iPhone will require a data plan, I'm certainly passing on the iPhone. $20 or even $40 is way too much money to pay for dialup speeds. Sorry AT&T, seems a little bit too late.

(For those used to measuring their download speeds in Safari in Kilobytes, you're looking at 25K/sec max on AT&T's network.)
To be fair, dialup is 3-5K/sec real world throughput. I agree though that EDGE is slow. I am still hoping that the $9.99 unlimited data plan that was reported by archer6 is more than a rumor. EDGE is worth at least that to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If the iPhone will require a data plan, I'm certainly passing on the iPhone. $40 or even $20 is way too much money to pay for dialup speeds. Sorry AT&T, seems a little bit too late.

(For those used to measuring their download speeds in Safari in Kilobytes, you're looking at 25K/sec max on AT&T's network...)
Without a data plan you'll be getting hit at $.01/Kb for data transfer. That will add up to the price of a data plan after checking your email for three or four days. Why would you not choose to buy some sort of data package? It just doesn't make sense to me to have a real browser, email, and all the gadgets without a data plan for when you're away from your wifi networks.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
LOL... EDGE is slow, yes, I have averaged 100-120kbps on my Blackjack lately. I have also used EVDO devices and although their speeds are much higher, the network latency is also much higher for EVDO, so for most web browsing, it evens out. Only file downloads seem to matter, as large files download much quicker over EVDO then EDGE.

Of course, I'll believe a $9.99 unlimited data/text plan when I see it.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Of course, I'll believe a $9.99 unlimited data/text plan when I see it.
I would be shocked as well. I think At&t sees this as a real opportunity to increase revenues with existing customers. If there a new unlimited text/message plan, I think it will be $19.99 based on the At&t survey I took a week or two ago.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
The last time I used dialup was in 1999 and I remember getting 7K/sec down with my 56kbps modem. (I was among the first to get RoadRunner when it was offered here.)

Especially when Wi-Fi is so prevalent now, 10K/sec (on a good day) is too slow to be any value to me.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
The last time I used dialup was in 1999 and I remember getting 7K/sec down with my 56kbps modem. (I was among the first to get RoadRunner when it was offered here.)

Especially when Wi-Fi is so prevalent now, 10K/sec (on a good day) is too slow to be any value to me.
I guess dialup has improved since I had it. I just remember being ecstatic getting 5K/sec since I usually averaged 3K/sec. Now I couldn't see have less than the 6Mbit cable modem I currently have :).

BTW, 10K/sec may not be good enough for your surfing needs but it should be sufficient to download emails (in the background).

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
But if WIFI is prevalent, then you won't be getting 10K/sec. It just doesn't make sense to me to have a real browser, email, and all the gadgets without a data plan for when you're away from your wifi networks
You're missing the point... what's the sense of throwing away money on a service I'll rarely use? I really don't care about accessing my e-mails from everywhere. I really only need the iPhone for the phone and the iPod capabilities—I don't do much surfing outside of the office and at home. If I really need to check my e-mail, I'll find a Wi-Fi connection.

The fact that AT&T may be mandating a plan is just plain greed. Why don't they let me use the phone first, figure out if I really need a plan and go from there?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You're missing the point... what's the sense of throwing away money on a service I'll rarely use? I really don't care about accessing my e-mails from everywhere. I really only need the iPhone for the phone and the iPod capabilities—I don't do much surfing outside of the office and at home. If I really need to check my e-mail, I'll find a Wi-Fi connection.

The fact that AT&T may be mandating a plan is just plain greed. Why don't they let me use the phone first, figure out if I really need a plan and go from there?
IF those features (push email, widgets) aren't that important, then I can understand your point. I just don't know whether you'll be able to turn of those data connections with the iPhone. Hopefully, someone that doesn't have a data plan will have an option to turn off the data feed to update the widgets. IF they don't then it would be waaaay too costly at $.10/Kb.

If you're correct, then it might just be good ol' greed kicking in. I'm sure the exclusivity deal cost At&t some HUGE dollars, so they might just hold iPhone buyers hostage for two years so they can recoup their investment.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
I've noticed a marked improvement in EDGE speeds during the past week on my BlackBerry 8800. I've read rumors of AT&T doubling their EDGE network speed recently.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA

I seriously doubt that you will be required to have a data plan - AT&T doesn't do that for other data-centric devices, so why should they for the iPhone?