AT&T Instructions for unblocking the SIM card

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Here are the instructions for unblocking the SIM card for the iPhone.
These instructions are probably universal, but I am going to state that they are ONLY for AT&T customers, and do not recommend anyone with an unlocked phone on a different carrier attempt this.

How to Unblock your SIM Card

You'll need your phone in hand to unblock your SIM Card.
  1. First, enter the 8-digit PUK code, then press OK/Yes.
    Note: Some Motorola phone users will need to enter **05* if "enter PUK" is not already displayed. After entering **05*, then enter the 8-digit PUK code and press OK.
  2. Select a new PIN code, then press OK/Yes.
  3. Re-enter the PIN code, then press OK/Yes.
  4. If the codes were entered successfuly, the phone is ready for use.
Important: If the incorrect PUK (Pin Unlock Key) code is entered 10 times in a row, the SIM card will become permanently locked, and you must purchase a new SIM card. If your device is requesting PUK 2 please call Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Pardon my ignorance, and Google is helping me much, either, but what is sim unblocking?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Pardon my ignorance, and Google is helping me much, either, but what is sim unblocking?
If you put a sim pin for the card in, and you forget it, this is how to unlock it.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Gotcha...should I put a pin on my sim? Is there info on there I wouldn't want someone to have? I come from ten years with Verizon so some of this sim card stuff is new to me.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Gotcha...should I put a pin on my sim? Is there info on there I wouldn't want someone to have? I come from ten years with Verizon so some of this sim card stuff is new to me.
Honestly, it's not necessary. Copying info to the sim is only useful if you are moving the sim to another phone, so that would be about the only time I would even consider using a pin. In general, you will never need it.

yanrongqin

Nov 7, 2008
How to enter the 8-digit PUK code on my iPhone? Anyone can help? Thanks ahead.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I have enabled the SIM lock on my iPhone's SIM card. When the phone is re-booted, it requires the PIN in order to connect to the AT&T network and no calls can be made or received until the PIN is entered. Not a theft deterrent, but just something that makes me feel better in case my iPhone ever gets stolen while it's off or if the the thief turns it off and on again and tries to make calls using my account...

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
i read the title of the thread and was wondering why you would unlock the sim for att when it is for att only. i thought you meant to unlock the phone lol

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Pin locking the sim card would be to prevent someone from accessing your contacts and account info if it was ever stolen. Plus, it cannot be used in the phone either.
It's a level of security that most people will never even need to use, but in the case where PDS had his phone stolen, it would prevent the thief from accessing his info.
Here are 3 things to help you if your phone is ever stolen or comes up missing:
1) the sim pin lock
2) passcode lock the springboard
3) keep your serial number/ IEME number handy at home.

This will help prevent someone from accessing or using the phone and AT&T can kill service to it

You can also start making it a habit to make sure that you keep your phone on you in the same place all the time when not I'm use. For me, it's my front left pocket. When I get up to leave the movies or restaurant, a quick tap on the case confirms I still have it.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
You can also start making it a habit to make sure that you keep your phone on you in the same place all the time when not I'm use. For me, it's my front left pocket. When I get up to leave the movies or restaurant, a quick tap on the case confirms I still have it.
You sound just as paranoid/careful about your iPhone as me! :p

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
You sound just as paranoid/careful about your iPhone as me! :p
Well, with as muchas they cost and as much info as they hold, how can you not be a little paranoid about your iPhone?

memer#23

Mar 27, 2011
hi guys can u help me unblock my AT&T simcard so i can activate my iPhone,,my iPhone was in emergency call display

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Couple questions:
1) are you on an AT&T plan? Since it's an AT&T SIM, I would expect that it's on some sort of plan.
2) Does the SIM work in another phone? If it does, but not in the iPhone, then the SIM doesn't need to be unlocked, the phone does, and depending on the current firmware, that might not be possible. Plus, you have to jailbreak to unlock.
3) Normal iPhone activation happens through iTunes. If you bought a phone from a retail store or Apple, then you simply connect to iTunes and follow the prompts to setup your account. If you are trying to get around that, see item #2