AT&T iPhone 5 Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by GSXRMike, Sep 14, 2012.

1. GSXRMike

GSXRMike Member
    Silver

So I have a couple questions that I hope someone can answer. It's been floating around that the new data cap for unlimited users before being throttled is 5GB instead of 3GB.

Is this for EVERYONE that is grandfathered into the unlimited plan?

Is it just for people with the iPhone 5?

Is it just for people with an iPhone 5 in an LTE coverage area?

Is it even true?

Please shed some light on this for me!

2. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

This is my understanding based on what I've read...

Those that have an unlimited plan on AT&T will get to keep their plan, no matter what upgrade there is. I believe this is for any phone you purchase. The only drawback is that the ONLY plan AT&T has that you can use FaceTime over cellular data is the Family Shared plans. (This can be overcome with jailbreaking when the iPhone 5 is jailbroken.)

You keep your unlimited data no matter what and even with LTE. I have heard from many sources that the data cap moves to 5 GB on the LTE network.

Hope that helps!

3. GSXRMike

GSXRMike Member
    Silver

Helps a little but still doesn't answer the question fully. I'll have an iPhone 5 which is obviously capable of LTE but there is no LTE in my town. A half hour north of me there is, just not here. With me not being on LTE, am I still stuck with a 3GB cap then?

4. GSXRMike

GSXRMike Member
    Silver

5. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

It's an LTE phone so it should get bumped to 5GB before it's throttled. It doesn't matter if you have LTE in your area or not.

6. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I would assume this as well, but you know what they say when you assume... Call AT&T, I bet someone would know the answer to that question.

7. GSXRMike

GSXRMike Member
    Silver

8. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

When I ordered, I had to choose a new messaging plan, which I chose unlimited again.
    I think the reason I had to choose it was because I lost my free mobile to any mobile calling that came with my unlimited messaging last time, but I still have my unlimited data.

9. BigCiX

BigCiX Zealot
    Gold

You will get bumped to 5 gigs as a cap before getting throttled. When I bought my One X after upgrading from my LG Thrill my cap was also bumped up because of it being a LTE device. I've also went past the 3 gb just to check to see if I get that email once you get close or surpass the overage mark.

10. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Wait what? AT&T doesn't have LTE towers. Just what they they think is fast enough to be called LTE. As far as I know.

11. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

AT&T does have LTE towers, but they're only in certain markets. Not nearly as many as Verizon. To say they have none is incorrect.

12. GSXRMike

GSXRMike Member
    Silver

I wonder what will happen to this months data cap since I'm upgrading 2/3s into a billing cycle. Hmmm. Guess I'll find out.

13. Jeffmedic

Jeffmedic Member
    Bronze

Just bought 3 iPhones. Says 14-21 days til delivery. Hopefully not that long

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Unfortunately it may be longer than early birds who pre-ordered at 2AM on Friday. The reason bing is they sold out of pre-orders quickly. I was told by Apple that people who were early birds will get the iPhone delivered on the 21st, and others the first week of October.