AT&T + iPhone = BullSpit!

mflantin

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
So before the iPhone, I had a shared plan w/ my girlfriend w/ 1400 shared minutes w/ 1000 text messages on 1 line. Because my girlfriend is a nurse, we earned a 24% discount on our cell phone bill each month. Our bill was around $80-$90 or so each month. Life was good.

We fell into the iPhone craze and bought ourselves each an iPhone. This is when things started to go downhill. Not only did have to pay an extra $20 a month PER phone (which we already expected), we LOST OUR 24% DISCOUNT! What kinda horseslit is that?! On top of that, we were forced to renew our already expired two year contract. All this loyalty that I've shown Cingular for 5+ years, and this is the best they can do?!

So so far here are the cons I've experienced: lost our 24% discount, paying an extra $40 a month on top of that, 2 year BS contract, loss of my 1000 text messages for 4.99/mo.

In conclusion, buying an iPhone is like buying a Mercedes, sure you get the nice luxury of having a sweet phone, but it comes at a cost even AFTER your purchase...

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I used to be a manager at walmart and they offerd a discount. I currently do not work for them anymore (slavemart) but I do get the discount and I have an iPhone.. you might want to contact AT&T

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
In conclusion, buying an iPhone is like buying a Mercedes, sure you get the nice luxury of having a sweet phone, but it comes at a cost even AFTER your purchase...

When I was in college, I worked PT for a tire dealer. I always laughed at people who went out and bought high dollar fancy cars, then whined and complained about the cost of tires and maintenance. People still never cease to amaze me! :laugh2: Buy a fancy item, pay fancy prices......

Hey Tony...lookin' sharp in that avatar ;) for a Giants fan that is..... :)

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
When I was in college, I worked PT for a tire dealer. I always laughed at people who went out and bought high dollar fancy cars, then whined and complained about the cost of tires and maintenance. People still never cease to amaze me! :laugh2: Buy a fancy item, pay fancy prices......

Hey Tony...lookin' sharp in that avatar ;) for a Giants fan that is..... :)
Just trying to look isexy....

About the high cost stuff.. me and my wife bought a Acura Rdx and went to go get an oil change at the dealership which they call b2 service.. they wanted to charge $175 to rotate tires, change oil and filter, and do inspection on car... Im like no way.. so we waited went to local oil change spot got same service for $30... If you shop around it can happen most of the time our high priced purchases turn in to high markups for service..

mflantin

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
I always laughed at people who went out and bought high dollar fancy cars, then whined and complained about the cost of tires and maintenance. People still never cease to amaze me! :laugh2: Buy a fancy item, pay fancy prices......
I hear you on that, I'm cool with the fact that I have to pay $20 with the additional iPhone service. The part that really bothers me is the two year extended contract and the loss of the discount, both of which are pretty uncalled for and unnecessary.

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
The part that really bothers me is the two year extended contract and the loss of the discount, both of which are pretty uncalled for and unnecessary.

The loss of the discount does suck. Like iPhonetony said, you should check with ATT. I'm not exactly sure about other carriers, but I do know that with Verizon, when you buy a new phone, you have to extend the contract.

mflantin

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
The loss of the discount does suck. Like iPhonetony said, you should check with ATT. I'm not exactly sure about other carriers, but I do know that with Verizon, when you buy a new phone, you have to extend the contract.
yes that's pretty standard too with AT&T. The only thing is, when you opt for the 2 year contract, they usually give you a much cheaper price on the phone.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Just trying to look isexy....

About the high cost stuff.. me and my wife bought a Acura Rdx and went to go get an oil change at the dealership which they call b2 service.. they wanted to charge $175 to rotate tires, change oil and filter, and do inspection on car... Im like no way.. so we waited went to local oil change spot got same service for $30... If you shop around it can happen most of the time our high priced purchases turn in to high markups for service..
I think your new avatar makes you look like Miguel Ferrer...

midtownGal

Mar 7, 2008
I changed from T-mobile to AT&T because of the iPhone. I LOVE my iPhone very much but I HATE AT&T. I live & work in midtown nyc. I experience drop calls multiple times EVERY SINGLE DAY. Today I made a phone call to health insurance company today. I was put on hold for over 20 mins to get to talk with the customer service and once I got to talk to her, the call dropped ! I'm mad ! Last year, I used T-mobile, I was put on hold for 2 hours when calling the IRS but thank god there was no drop call. I can't imagine what would happen if I am using AT&T and the call drop after 2 hours of waiting.

I want to quit AT&T so badly but I don't want to quit iPhone. THIS JUST SUCKS!

The AT&T shop at the Time Sq SUCKs TOO. People who work there do not know what they are doing .They are not responsible, don't receive a training or simply BS. Here is my complain.

1) The first time I went to open my acc, the customer service tried to sell more expensive plan by trying to trick me that I'm not eligible for the cheapest plan ( 450 mins) because that plan is for students & elderly people only. 2) When I was waiting for that guy to finish the account set up for me, the security guard in the shop tried to harass me by giving me his name card and asked for my telephone number Repeatedly even though I ignored him 3) One month later after I had an AT&T account, I figured out that the person that opened my AT&T account DID NOT close my old account. I was Billed for the old account that I didn't use and when I went back to the store to get help. They said that they could not do anything about it because there is no Name of the person that opened the account for me in the database/record. I had to call the customer service and spent 1 hour to talk with the fraud department to close the account 4) Last time I stopped by AT&T store to change my phone plan, the person who took care of this screwed my account by turning the internet data transfer /edge off. I was not able to use internet for a day.

NO MORE going to AT&T shop . If you have anything to do, call 611.
SCREW AT&T! If I were AT&T competitor, I would make an ad about a customer calling 611 , was put on hold and receive a drop call.

Sorry for my rant. AT&T screwed me.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I changed from T-mobile to AT&T because of the iPhone. I LOVE my iPhone very much but I HATE AT&T. I live & work in midtown nyc. I experience drop calls multiple times EVERY SINGLE DAY. Today I made a phone call to health insurance company today. I was put on hold for over 20 mins to get to talk with the customer service and once I got to talk to her, the call dropped ! I'm mad ! Last year, I used T-mobile, I was put on hold for 2 hours when calling the IRS but thank god there was no drop call. I can't imagine what would happen if I am using AT&T and the call drop after 2 hours of waiting.

I want to quit AT&T so badly but I don't want to quit iPhone. THIS JUST SUCKS!

The AT&T shop at the Time Sq SUCKs TOO. People who work there do not know what they are doing .They are not responsible, don't receive a training or simply BS. Here is my complain.

1) The first time I went to open my acc, the customer service tried to sell more expensive plan by trying to trick me that I'm not eligible for the cheapest plan ( 450 mins) because that plan is for students & elderly people only. 2) When I was waiting for that guy to finish the account set up for me, the security guard in the shop tried to harass me by giving me his name card and asked for my telephone number Repeatedly even though I ignored him 3) One month later after I had an AT&T account, I figured out that the person that opened my AT&T account DID NOT close my old account. I was Billed for the old account that I didn't use and when I went back to the store to get help. They said that they could not do anything about it because there is no Name of the person that opened the account for me in the database/record. I had to call the customer service and spent 1 hour to talk with the fraud department to close the account 4) Last time I stopped by AT&T store to change my phone plan, the person who took care of this screwed my account by turning the internet data transfer /edge off. I was not able to use internet for a day.

NO MORE going to AT&T shop . If you have anything to do, call 611.
SCREW AT&T! If I were AT&T competitor, I would make an ad about a customer calling 611 , was put on hold and receive a drop call.

Sorry for my rant. AT&T screwed me.
unlock your phone, pay termination fee, switch back to T-Mobile.

mflantin

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
I switched to ATT from Verizon and before that Sprint. I actually have been really surprised and happy with AT&T.
I've been a semi-happy customer with Cingular/AT&T since Cingular first came out (it was CellularOne back then I think). Never really had problems with the service, just problems with customer service and this whole iPhone thing. It's definitely way better than Sprint though, I'd have to say.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
in the US, I believe that the best two carriers are Sprint ( in the CDMA corner) and T-Mobile in the (gsm corner) gsm>cdma

here are my problems with the other carriers

AT&T - expensive, phones suck, reps are stupid as hell, but atleast if they can't help, they find you someone who can. 8/10

Verizon - incredibly expensive, ancient technology (CDMA? come on..), unified software, total bs crippling (BB doesn't have obex? oh wait thats verizon), stupid and arrogant reps (all the reps I've talked to, at least) 4/10

Sprint - yes, they have problems, too. their customer service sucks. but they beat verizon in value, by loads, and don't cripple. 7/10

T-Mobile - edge isn't standard. what the hell. thats the only problem I have with them 9/10

(Russian) Beeline - best. free incoming everything, no matter what plan, including prepaid. 2c a minute for prepaid, 1c for SMS..11/10

there. a Brief summary of all carriers I've ever used.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I've been a semi-happy customer with Cingular/AT&T since Cingular first came out (it was CellularOne back then I think). Never really had problems with the service, just problems with customer service and this whole iPhone thing. It's definitely way better than Sprint though, I'd have to say.
SuckOne is now alltel

att before cingular it was att before that here in texas it was southwestern bell

Customer service has always sucked but ive been with them since 1997 and at the att corp store here i deal with a guy that has known me that whole time i generally don't have problems talking to him Just those idiots at 611

I called about the refer a friend program signed up a friend did what we were supposed to and he didn't show up in my refer a friend account called 611 twice and after talking to the idiots there they come back and tell me " we cant help you with refer a friend were not trained on that"
i asked him "hey moron you work for AT&T? is refer a friend AT&T ? then why the hell arent you trained on it

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yeah, to be fair, AT&T doesn't really have much input on what to charge for plans or the iPhone... or signing contracts, for that matter. if you wanna ***** about it, ***** at Apple.

...and do it BEFORE you sign all the papers. It's not like they hide all of that in the fine print and stick you with it later.

I'm all for venting frustration, but jeez...

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
AT&T has managed to screw up my bill somehow every single month now. The first month it was just an outrageous amount for who knows why. I paid it and then the credited me back about half of it. The next month I had about $10k in data overage charges. Luckily they did fix that one seeing as I pay for unlimited (like every iPhone user). Then the next month they tried to charge me for overage fees for 1k text messages, I also pay for unlimited texts. They credited me back that amount. Then just this last month my bill had one amount due and the website had another. Turned out it was the lower of the two luckily. There you have it, every month since I've had the phone. As far as service goes its alright where I'm at but I'll be going to school in Salt Lake City in the fall and the service there blows. Strange how a large metropolitan area has worse service than Alaska.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I can tell you from extensively testing all 4 major carriers that AT&T is by far the overall best. Better Device Selection, more reception, sim cards for use of multiple phones(wireless freedom), rollover minutes, no heavy carrier-branded phones(they try to maintain the essense of the manufacturer's ui), HSDPA 3.5g which is faster than any carrier in the states.:cool: That's what the next iPhone is gonna' run on.