AT&T iPhone not to be pre-sold

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
That's interesting, because a few cingular stores in my area said that they had started a wait list a while back and had stopped at 50 names on it.

So I guess I will have to wait out or get it online.
If you put your name on the list, you will probably get a phone call whenever the launch date is said and tell you to come on down then.

iPhoneObsessed

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
www.myspace.com
That's interesting, because a few cingular stores in my area said that they had started a wait list a while back and had stopped at 50 names on it.

So I guess I will have to wait out or get it online.

It's so weird how everything is different. Every Cingular store that I've been to, I ask about the iPhone like I don't know anything, and I always ask if there is a pre-release or waiting list. I always get the same response in my area: "No, we're not allowed to do a waiting list, you just need to sign up for the email notification on the Cingular and Apple sites."

Which, honestly, I think is the better situation. I would much rather stake it out outside a store, than rely on a piece of paper that employees can manipulate (not saying they would... it's just not concrete). :laugh2: Especially since if there was ever a situation in my life where I needed to be put on a list or whatever... somehow my name always gets lost, lol. I'm really unlucky with that.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I think some people are missing the point.. the memo never said the phone won't be sold online so all this talk about "camping out" is crazy. This is from a sales brief for reps in the stores. Most of those sales reps work on commission. They don't want their reps guaranteeing product to a customer they may or may not have (or setting aside product). Seems reasonable.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Apple totally threw a curveball and only sent a few to the stores? The rest you had to order online...

I doubt the iPhone is going to be as popular as a PS3 or Wii that "necessitates" camping out but we'll see. (For one, those systems don't require a credit check and monthly fee to use.)

iPhoneObsessed

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
www.myspace.com
I think some people are missing the point.. the memo never said the phone won't be sold online so all this talk about "camping out" is crazy. This is from a sales brief for reps in the stores. Most of those sales reps work on commission. They don't want their reps guaranteeing product to a customer they may or may not have (or setting aside product). Seems reasonable.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Apple totally threw a curveball and only sent a few to the stores? The rest you had to order online...

I doubt the iPhone is going to be as popular as a PS3 or Wii that "necessitates" camping out but we'll see. (For one, those systems don't require a credit check and monthly fee to use.)

My hope is that I won't have to order it online. Unless it was available to order before the release date, and guaranteed to be delivered ON the release day (which would be the most awesome situation and I would definitely take advantage of it if possible), I'll be going to the store, and if necessary, waiting in line if it came to that.
As you can see from my screen name on here, I can't think of anything else but getting the iPhone on the day it comes out. :laugh2: I know that it's not everyone's position, but it's certainly mine. :)

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
But seriously, do you guys think they will sell out and you won't be able to get an iPhone on the first day of release? Is that your biggest fear?

With Cingular and/or and Apple store in most major areas (at least Cingular stores venture into smaller, more distant cities)... there will most likely be enough to go around for the diehards on the first day... At least that's what I'm thinking.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
But seriously, do you guys think they will sell out and you won't be able to get an iPhone on the first day of release? Is that your biggest fear?

With Cingular and/or and Apple store in most major areas (at least Cingular stores venture into smaller, more distant cities)... there will most likely be enough to go around for the diehards on the first day... At least that's what I'm thinking.
Yes! :eek: There may be lots of stores but they still need to make lots to fill those stores. Not sure the numbers are there for more than a couple per store.

DaveNYC

May 15, 2007
It's not that there won't be enough to go around (I certainly hope not!), it's that if it's true that iPhones will not be sold in the smaller Cingular stores, then it will force people to converge upon the larger flagship stores. Hence, the long lines....in the first few days at least.

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
It's not that there won't be enough to go around (I certainly hope not!), it's that if it's true that iPhones will not be sold in the smaller Cingular stores, then it will force people to converge upon the larger flagship stores. Hence, the long lines....in the first few days at least.
Ahh, I see... yes, that would be a bummer. I'm hoping that stores will carry more than just a couple. In fact, it's hard to imagine something as monumental as the iPhone, and with as much global coverage as it has already gotten, so be given a "soft" release with a couple per store. I don't think the Apple people would stand for that...

I'm assuming there will be more info as the release draws near. Most likely, the frequency of news will increase also as the release date draws closer and closer every day.

DaveNYC

May 15, 2007
You're right, of course. There's no sense at this point in trying predict which store is going to have it, and how many each one is going to carry. As we get closer to the drop date, hopefully we'll have all that info. I only wish we knew what the drop date is going to be!

May 6, 2007
United States

Boy, do I sure hope there will be plenty to go around. The fact is that at this point, though, there is really no way to tell. We don't have a magic counter of how many Apple has made, how many will go to each store, and how many people will be waiting outside each store. (Somebody wanna make a widget for that? :laugh2:)

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Boy, do I sure hope there will be plenty to go around. The fact is that at this point, though, there is really no way to tell. We don't have a magic counter of how many Apple has made, how many will go to each store, and how many people will be waiting outside each store. (Somebody wanna make a widget for that? :laugh2:)
Does anyone have an idea just how many "corporate" Cingular outlets there are and how many Apple retail stores there are and figure if 50 were at each store how many that would be total? And then I guess there is online sales. Hmm...