AT&T iPhone Upgrade Policy

BCTourney

Jun 1, 2008
I bought a 3G iPhone in December. Does that mean that this upcoming December I will be able to upgrade to the new iPhone (assuming it's released by then) with the discount pricing, or do I have to wait longer than a year to be eligible for the upgrade pricing?
Thanks for the help guys.

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I bought a 3G iPhone in December. Does that mean that this upcoming December I will be able to upgrade to the new iPhone (assuming it's released by then) with the discount pricing, or do I have to wait longer than a year to be eligible for the upgrade pricing?
Thanks for the help guys.
Did you sign a two year contract or just one? If its just one year contract then you will be able to upgrade, However with the iPhone could be different. You may wanna just call ATT and just find out for sure

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
With a two-year contract the typical time you must wait to be eligible for discount pricing is 18 months. So you should be eligible in June 2010.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Supposedly, if you're in good-standing with AT&T and your line is over $100 each month, you get to upgrade every year, instead of 2 years.

EDIT: I got nosey and called AT&T and asked them about this whole early upgrade thing. Basically, I noticed that for both my lines I was able to upgrade after a year, even though it's a 2 year contract so being the curious person I am, I mentioned it here for more info, and I also called AT&T. Basically, if you pay your bills on time, and have at least one line over $100 you're considered a valuable customer and AT&T figures that since they'll be able to make the money back for the discounted prices, they let you upgrade early more often. That also goes for subsidies. Ex: If you bought the iPhone 3G subsidized on 7/11/08 and you pay over $100, etc, your subsidy is only a year long as well with your contract so if the new iPhone comes out in July as well and happens to be subsidized, you'll be able to purchase the new iPhone for the discounted, subsidized price.

swampduck

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
Or you can do what I did...I added a line for 10 a month and bought the iPhone that way, then had them move my number to the iPhone

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You're eligible for upgrade every 20 months (I used to think it was 18 but just verified that it is 20) if your bill is less than $100 a month and every 12 months if it is more than $100 every month.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
You're eligible for upgrade every 20 months (I used to think it was 18 but just verified that it is 20) if your bill is less than $100 a month and every 12 months if it is more than $100 every month.
That would explain why my V1 iPhone is ready for an upgrade according to att.com. I got it in march last year.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Won't they make a concession when you're getting another iPhone? I thought they did for users going from V1 to 3G. Seems like a good idea.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Won't they make a concession when you're getting another iPhone? I thought they did for users going from V1 to 3G. Seems like a good idea.
That was a subsidy - I don't think they'll do the same kind of thing this year. Maybe..

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The reason people that had a v1 received a discounted upgrade was because the v1 iPhone came at no discount. We all paid the full MSRP so we didn't lose the upgrade eligibility.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I was just paying my bill and looked at my upgrade eligibility and apparently, even though I bought my 3G back in October, I am available to upgrade -but it depends on the model.
I am now interested to see what it says when the new phone is released. Isn't the new phone supposed to be announce this week or next?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I was just paying my bill and looked at my upgrade eligibility and apparently, even though I bought my 3G back in October, I am available to upgrade -but it depends on the model.
I am now interested to see what it says when the new phone is released. Isn't the new phone supposed to be announce this week or next?
I don't think there is a set date for the announcement...or even if there is a new iPhone:eek:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I don't think there is a set date for the announcement...or even if there is a new iPhone:eek:
I'm basing the arrival of a new phone on rumor, history, and the fact that Apple seems to have reserved some conference room they always get, for some time this month.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
How about this scenario? My line is not eligible for upgrade until 4/10. But my husband's line is eligible now. He does not care if he gets a new phone or not (he has my old v1). Will AT&T let us get the new iPhone on his line and let us switch numbers? Then I can give him my 3G.

thanks!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Yes you can do that, Lisa. I've done this before. They're not supposed to, but they will.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I just checked my upgrade availablility and here is what they have me and my husband down for:

Your Current Phones on FamilyTalk Plans

RXXXXX J GLXXXX, 973-XXX-XXXX
You can take advantage of our full retail pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment. Additional discounts may be available on 02/08/2010 More Details

Select
BRXXXXXX N GLXXXX, 973-XXX-XXXX
You can take advantage of our full retail pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment. Additional discounts may be available on 12/16/2009 More Details

Here is the info under More Details:

Eligibility Details

You can take advantage of our full retail pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment. Additional discounts may be available on 12/16/2009
You can take advantage of our full retail pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment. Additional discounts may be available on 12/16/2009. More Details: Equipment discounts are available from time to time based on a number of factors: service tenure, spending levels, payment history, usage practices, and other factors.

©2009, AT&T Intellectual Property.
All Rights Reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other AT&T marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies.

Do you think this will change by the time the new phones are announced? Our bills are over $200 a month and we pay on time every month. We have not been late.

I hope we can get a break.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL

Do you think this will change by the time the new phones are announced? Our bills are over $200 a month and we pay on time every month. We have not been late.

I hope we can get a break.
I think that after the initial mad rush for the new phone is over, you can go to them and tell them you wish to upgrade, but you want to know what they can do for you concerning the new iPhone. I'm sure that since sales will be tapering off by then, that they will be a little more willing to cut a deal than not.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Yes you can do that, Lisa. I've done this before. They're not supposed to, but they will.
Lisa, what does it say when you check your account at AT&T.com?
Thanks, guys. My line is says not eligible for equipment discount until 4/16/09. Darren's line is eligible now. He bought a new driver when he promised he wouldn't for a year. So I told him I was going to get the new iPhone. He said I could just use his upgrade since he is happy getting my "old" iPhones... lol.

So do you think they will go for it? I will want the new iPhone really bad and I am not good at waiting, but I will if I have to. (I almost upgraded Darren's line with a 3G as a gift recently, but I am glad I did not do that yet).