AT&T is taking away my iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 9, 2007
I need Apple's help to allow me to keep their product! I purchased an iPhone last week, and I am extremely happy with it. I have been an Apple customer since 1982, and I have purchased almost every product they have made.

So, now I have this new iPhone, and I love it. I am a die-hard Verizon customer, but for Apple - hey, I switched.

So... I found out a few days ago that I am being re-located to Vermont. I am here now, and I have 5 bars of service. But I now find out that AT&T is going to cancel my service anywhere between 3 and 10 months from now (when they get around to it) because I am roaming too much. See, they don't have service in Vermont, so I am using one of their partner providers (Unicel). Although the service I am getting is good, I am not profitable enough for them to keep me as a customer, so they will get rid of me. I will, of course, be stuck with a non-working iPhone.

Now, this is not a situating where I purchased a $60 subsidized phone in exchange for a 2 year contract. I paid the full retail price of $600 for this device. I did so happily. But now, AT&T will render it useless.

Apple needs to help ALL their customers protect their right to own and use an iPhone. It's more than a phone, its a tool that goes with your life, like other Apple products.

Apple - you are all about design and customer experience. From the product, to the box, to your call centers, the entire user experience has been carefuly crafted. You can hear it when you talk to Apple representatives. Well, after talking with AT&T, the contract could not be more dramatic... they come off as a bunch of low-level, low care drones.

Apple, AT&T is now a part of your customer experience. I know there was a good reason to partner with them, but they don't shine line your image does... and you run the risk of tarnishing that Apple.

So, is there someone at Apple who is in charge of the integration of customer service between the two companies? Can someone help me keep my iPhone?

Thanks!

tadrewcook

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Surely there is something you can work out with them. That sucks, man.

Especially after hearing the recent story about Sprint/Nextel cancelling like 1000-1500 of their customers because they were too "high-maintenance".

However most of those customers reportedly called CS "hundreds of times a month for a period of 6-12 months on the same issues".

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288635,00.html

Sorry for the link and add-on story. Just thought it ironic.

malplertz

Jul 10, 2007
Did you change your mailing address to VT or did you tell them you were moving, or can they tell you were in VT based on the Unicel towers you were using? I have heard similar stories about AT&T trying to cancel people who move to VT. One friend was able to keep his service to the end of his contract after a long heated discussion with AT&T, but they said they would not renew his contract at the end of his term. At least he didn't get dropped early...

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
You Can Keep The Phone

I need Apple's help to allow me to keep their product! I purchased an iPhone last week, and I am extremely happy with it. I have been an Apple customer since 1982, and I have purchased almost every product they have made.

So, now I have this new iPhone, and I love it. I am a die-hard Verizon customer, but for Apple - hey, I switched.

So... I found out a few days ago that I am being re-located to Vermont. I am here now, and I have 5 bars of service. But I now find out that AT&T is going to cancel my service anywhere between 3 and 10 months from now (when they get around to it) because I am roaming too much. See, they don't have service in Vermont, so I am using one of their partner providers (Unicel). Although the service I am getting is good, I am not profitable enough for them to keep me as a customer, so they will get rid of me. I will, of course, be stuck with a non-working iPhone.

Now, this is not a situating where I purchased a $60 subsidized phone in exchange for a 2 year contract. I paid the full retail price of $600 for this device. I did so happily. But now, AT&T will render it useless.

Apple needs to help ALL their customers protect their right to own and use an iPhone. It's more than a phone, its a tool that goes with your life, like other Apple products.

Apple - you are all about design and customer experience. From the product, to the box, to your call centers, the entire user experience has been carefuly crafted. You can hear it when you talk to Apple representatives. Well, after talking with AT&T, the contract could not be more dramatic... they come off as a bunch of low-level, low care drones.

Apple, AT&T is now a part of your customer experience. I know there was a good reason to partner with them, but they don't shine line your image does... and you run the risk of tarnishing that Apple.

So, is there someone at Apple who is in charge of the integration of customer service between the two companies? Can someone help me keep my iPhone?

Thanks!
You can keep the phone and not be charged by AT&T for keeping it. You can also use all the features except for the phone. The iPod will still work (since it is already activated) (even if AT&T deactivates your phone service) and the internet will work on WiFi only. I know that is terrible, seeing that the whole United States is not a hotspot. You will get to have a very cool widescreen iPod and web browsing tool (when in a WiFi area). I think it is really ashamed how Cellphone companies lock the consumer into a contract. When you terminate early, you have to pay a hefty early termination fee. When the cell company decides to drop you (while in contract) they pay you nothing. The only way things will change is to complain, long and loud. You might think about getting your local representative involved

I think the whole exclusive contract thing with AT&T was wrong. I love Apple products and have patronized them for years. As much as I love Apple though. I do not need Steve Jobs or the others in Cupertino, Ca deciding who my cellphone carrier should be. I should not have to become beholden to AT&T just because I purchased an Apple device. This is what has left me with a sour taste in my mouth from taking a bite of the Apple. First it was cellphone contracts, now everything from phones to TV's to internet service requires a contract. Now we have businesss's pairing up with exclusive contracts, to make you purchase from not one, but both companies (and with no choice). I think this is all headed in the wrong direction. Today it is Apple & AT&T, who knows who it will be next. The American people like choice, in this case it was taken away from us. I could of not bought an iPhone, but should I have to be denied a piece of electronics history, just because I'd like to choose my own carrier? M

daziphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Columbus OH
You can keep the phone and not be charged by AT&T for keeping it. You can also use all the features except for the phone. The iPod will still work (since it is already activated) (even if AT&T deactivates your phone service) and the internet will work on WiFi only. I know that is terrible, seeing that the whole United States is not a hotspot. You will get to have a very cool widescreen iPod and web browsing tool (when in a WiFi area). I think it is really ashamed how Cellphone companies lock the consumer into a contract. When you terminate early, you have to pay a hefty early termination fee. When the cell company decides to drop you (while in contract) they pay you nothing. The only way things will change is to complain, long and loud. You might think about getting your local representative involved

I think the whole exclusive contract thing with AT&T was wrong. I love Apple products and have patronized them for years. As much as I love Apple though. I do not need Steve Jobs or the others in Cupertino, Ca deciding who my cellphone carrier should be. I should not have to become beholden to AT&T just because I purchased an Apple device. This is what has left me with a sour taste in my mouth from taking a bite of the Apple. First it was cellphone contracts, now everything from phones to TV's to internet service requires a contract. Now we have businesss's pairing up with exclusive contracts, to make you purchase from not one, but both companies (and with no choice). I think this is all headed in the wrong direction. Today it is Apple & AT&T, who knows who it will be next. The American people like choice, in this case it was taken away from us. I could of not bought an iPhone, but should I have to be denied a piece of electronics history, just because I'd like to choose my own carrier? M

Go to: freetheiPhone.org it's a organization to stop exactly what you are talking about. I agree 100% and you could not have said it better.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
We Were Screwed!

Go to: freetheiPhone.org it's a organization to stop exactly what you are talking about. I agree 100% and you could not have said it better.
DaziPhone,
I thank you for the wonderful information you provided. I went to the site and added my name. I hope this site's (Everything iPhone) admin don't see this as complaining. The exclusive contract is a very important (iPhone) issue. I feel like such a fool for buying into the iPhone madness. I have sat back and given long hard thought as to how we were all "Corporately Screwed". I already had/have a contract with Sprint on three lines. I did not need another contract. It would have been more financially sensible for me to upgrade one of my Sprint phones to the iPhone. Unfortunately, that was not an option due to the Exclusive Contract.

I finally added up the true cost of the iPhone with the minute plan. 79.99 dollar plan x 24= 1919.76 (higher with tax) plus the cost of the iPhone 8GB 599.99 + 1919.76= 2519.75 (not including tax or). The iPhone is a wonderful device, but is it worth 2519.75++? I must have been crazy, to fall prey to Apple & AT&T's marketing blitz. I admit, I did not figure the entire cost of the phone before buying. I am not so much complaining about the dollar factor, as I am the way I was bamboozled into spending such cash. I know other companies are watching this businesss model closely in hopes of duplicating it. Next it will be that you can't buy a certain shirt without buying the pants that the company has decided you will buy. How would you like to buy a quart of milk, and the company specifies what glass you will buy and drink it out of? I know it sounds crazy, but that is exactly what took place with the iPhone.

The only way that we as consumers, can stop this trend is to return the iPhone and cancel our contracts with AT&T (if we were not already a customer pre-iphone). I saw a bumper sticker the other day that made a lot of sense. It read, "Stop Bitching and Start a Revolution". Well, I'm starting mine. I am returning the iPhone and cancelling my service with AT&T tomorrow. If Steve Jobs/Apple one day realizes my (our as consumers) right to choice, then I will buy another one. If He/They don't, then I can live without Apple's products. There are a lot of things in this world that we can't change (I.E., High Gas Prices). I can change being manipulated into a contract with a carrier, by a company with whom I chose to buy a device. Stand up now and let Apple/AT&T (and more specifically Apple) know how you feel about this, or don't cry later when other companies are doing it also...Mark

Coach Z

Bronze
Aug 3, 2007
Sounds like vermonters need to get on it and start making a fuss if you want to keep your service. GOOD LUCK! :laugh2:

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
tell them you will not pay the ETF because they are they ones forcing you out of the contract... then get yourself the TURBO SIM and then get whatever provider is around up in VT that you were getting good service from...

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
At this point with all the unlocking software that is out there you should be able to purchase or get one of the free services and then just get a GSM carrier in your region and away you go. I have AT&T and have been for a while cause I think GSM and swapping sims is awesome, but I agree you shouldn't have to beholden to some company just for a device. My advice, unlock your phone and enjoy the service of another carrier, good luck!

Goronok

Aug 26, 2007
There is no good GSM carrier in Vermont, both AT&T and T-Mobile have poor coverage. Your best bet is Verizon, but obviously the iPhone won't function on any CDMA, CDMA2k, or EV-DO network. I personally think it's funny that most everyone on the web blames AT&T for their iPhone problems, as I blame Apple for creating a phone based on old cell technology. Cingular/AT&T was in the process of turning down and de-installing GSM sites before the iPhone was announced/produced. UMTS/HSDPA & EV-DO are the current and future cell technologies, not GSM.

If your in Vermont, your best bet is to ditch the iPhone and switch to Verizon. You'll have the same roaming problems with T-Mobile, and the "Carrier Hacks" are not a valid option for most who really rely on their cell phones. You better believe Apple/AT&T is doing everything in their power to keep people from using the iPhone on T-Mobile and any other GSM carrier.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
I remember reading somewhere that they only would drop you if your roaming data usage went over a certain amount, this guy I was readig a news article about was keeping a very close eye on that in Vermont to avoid the cancellation. Look into the details and see if you can keep it that way!

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Just a thought

Just a thought; please don't flame me. But didn't you sign a 2-year contract with AT&T? I presume you did, as we all had to. So, I'm wondering if, regardless of what AT&T has now advised you, are they not legally obligated to that contract nevertheless? Any attornies out there want to address this? :cool: