AT&T knows who is using my stolen iPhone 5

1. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member Bronze

Today when I officially reported to "the device lock team " about my stolen iPhone 5 was told that somebody on their net was using it. They advised me to go to the police that they can't do anything. They didn't think I was going to get it back, is that right?

2. rom x

rom x Contributor Silver

if you put a security app on it. you should be able to track it or at least turn on your front facing camera remotely so you can take a pic of the one who stole it.
    just about all security apps have this feature. but i take it you never did install this type of app right?

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member Bronze

I didn't know about it, please advise me what to get. Do I have any chance to getting it back? I'm driving to the police.

5. rom x

rom x Contributor Silver

well the app would have had to be installed before the phone even got taken.

6. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member Bronze

Yes I know, but I want to install it on the phone I'm using now.

7. Lon

Lon Evangelist Gold

I would also like to know what App Store App does this with the front facing camera.

8. Lon

Lon Evangelist Gold

Keep us posted on this. It is getting interesting!

9. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member Bronze

I will. I have been waiting for a while now here at the police station. I announced myself and waiting for somebody to come to talk to me.

10. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius Gold

FFAP1234 Good Luck to you! I hope they can get this person and get your iPhone returned to you.

I can't remember if you had a police report drawn up when it was stolen. Please refresh my memory.

The cops are busy and you might be waiting a while.

11. Europa

Europa Genius Senior Moderator

You didn't have Find My iPhone on? It's a stock feature and it's what I recommend.

12. Europa

Europa Genius Senior Moderator

Some of the Cydia apps can do that, but I don't think any of the App Store apps can.

13. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius Gold

Police will tell you too bad. Only way the carrier will give any info (even to the police) is through a court order.

14. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius Gold

Fine print in your contract also tells you that your carrier is not responsible for your device at all after it is lost.

15. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius Gold

The one I use is Prey. It's available in the Appstore.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/prey-anti-theft/id456755037?mt=8

• Like Like x 1
  16. imutter

imutter Genius Gold

If you can locate the device with Find your Phone ask the ploice to go there with you when you ask for your phone bac
    Filing a police report is good in many ways. And that is what you need if you file insurance claim anyway.

AT&T can wipe your phone and block your sim
    this should be your last resort

17. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor Bronze

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I have find my iPhone on and it gets stolen will the police come with u if u pin point it's location or is it up to u.. Is there any point to having find my iPhone switched on.?

Sent from my iPhone5using iCafe app

18. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member Bronze

My phone was stolen 10/2812, I reported to the police the day after. There is a white lie about it; I know the person who stole it knows what is doing ( turned it off right away and never turn in on again for me to track ). A was afraid of he/she may be fallowing what we were saying in here, so one day I said that I needed to move on and that I got in a family plan and got a refurbish iPhone 4S. I did get the refurbish phone but with a brand new # and account ( hoping that he/she will read that and turn on the phone. That didn't happen, I got the refurbish phone from Best Buy and they told me I had one month to cancel my new contract ( I thought one month will give me time for it to be turn on and locate it )

Yesterday I called AT&T to ask about the family plan where I could pay $ 9.99 for a line and get the discount on a new iPhone 5. They told me I already had 2 lines ( they could see the account I opened at Best Buy) that I could combine the two of them, I said that was going to be there for only a month, they said it was too late to close, that I had only 14 days to cancel.

Then I run to Best Buy and been there was told the info AT&T gave me was right but they will honor me with the cancelation because it was a mistake that a new rep did. So I returned the refurbish phone that I originally got with the new account and then bought it again to use while I'm figuring out what to do ( this time I paid $ 814.88 including tax ridiculous )

This morning I call AT&T to officially report my iPhone 5 stolen and they transfer me to the "device looker team". After locating the IMEI # from my iPhone 5 I asked him, can u know if somebody is using it with AT&T? He said give me a sec and will tell u, then he said yes, somebody is using it but soon will star having problems with it and then it won't work anymore. I asked him for the name do the person and he told me he can say but to go to the police as soon as possible.

19. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor Bronze

So do you know where the ip5 is? And can you go to the home with police to get it back and have them arrested for theft.

20. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member Bronze

I'm very frustrated with AT&T and the police. After waiting for ever finally I was able to talk to a policeman. Basically he said that a phone is not as important as many other issues they deal with. He said that he was going to give the info I gave him to his superior and that if he considered important they will continue with the case. He was also going to hand it to the original officer I saw the first time. WHY DID I SPEND ALL THESE HOURS, if actually it doesn't matter?, I feel very stupid!

21. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member Bronze

AT&T knows but it won't tell me who and where it is and the policeman doesn't care.