AT&T messing with my unlimited data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NYsLegend78, Jan 18, 2012.

1. NYsLegend78

NYsLegend78 Member
    Bronze

ATT Free Msg: Your data use is approaching the top 5% of users. Avoid reduced data speeds, use Wi-Fi where available. Visit att.com/dataplans or call 8663447584
    ATT Free Msg: Your data usage is among the top 5% of users. Data speeds for this bill cycle may be reduced. Visit www.att.com/dataplans or call 8663447584.

2. NYsLegend78

NYsLegend78 Member
    Bronze

So i get slow internet speed once my data reaches this top 5%. There solution is to buy data instead Ahh yes right or use wifi

3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Yep, we're in the same boat. I just started getting throttled for the first time last week.

My billing cycle reset a few days ago. I'm wondering how fast they will knock me off this time.

#3 fury, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
  4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Their solution is to not use so much data. Or use all the data you want via wifi.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What they want is to get the extreme users to switch to a capped plan so they can bill them for the excessive data usage or get them to use less data. Throttling is in place because of the negative impact excessive usage has on the network. It would be very unreliable and slow if everyone used excessive amounts of data.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The word "unlimited" shouldn't even be used by AT&T, because it isn't truly unlimited. It's unlimited until you reach the top 5%. Even if everyone on the "unlimited" plan were to reduce their monthly usage by 50%, the top 5% would still get shafted, which is one reason I think this throttling is unfair. The throttling happens at an unpredictable point in time, as the customer has no way to know that he/she is about to land in the top 5% until after the fact. The plan should be advertised as unlimited(asterisk). Then, in small print somewhere on the same page you should see another asterisk followed by an explanation that you will get throttled once you land in that top 5%, and how just how much throttling will reduce your download/upload speeds.

If I had the money, energy, and know-how, I would try to get a class action lawsuit going.

Excessive downloads? What constitutes "excessive?" It's a different definition every month.

I'm not even in the top 5%... And I'm not on the unlimited plan. But just because I don't need 3G downloading all the time, it doesn't mean that those that do need it, and in fact pay for it, shouldn't have it.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

It is still unlimited. Just at a slower speed. You can still use as much of it as you want. Hence unlimited.

8. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

That 5% will drop more and more since those users will begin to use less data due to throttling. Before we know, that top 5% will be anything over 2gb/month. If you want faster speeds when you ecxeed 2gb, switch to the capped plan. SMH.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I respect your opinion! But I'd still like to put in my .02 (with no disrespect to you). I still think this is AT&T's problem, not the customers' [who are in the top 5%]. I think the blame falls on AT&T--maybe they need to do whatever it is that would eliminate these issues. Own more bandwidth? Have more towers? I don't know. Maybe that's what they were trying to do when they were trying to buy T-Mobile, but then the fiends, er, feds got in the way. One way I would absolve AT&T of blame is if they stopped offering an "unlimited" plan. They currently don't have the capacity for everyone to use it to the fullest, so they shouldn't offer it. Maybe just label it as "20GB/month--$30 dollars." Throttling exists because AT&T bit off more than they could chew when they offered "unlimited" data. Then, because throttling is somehow legal and enough people don't fight it, they do it. Today it's the top 5%--tomorrow it could be the top 10%.

I love the Verizon scenario. Verizon was about to start charging $2/month for paying your bill unless you payed in the most cost-effective manner for them. Because of the public outcry, they had to change their minds. And quick.

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That's one way to look at it. Another goes like this: Even if you continue to use it at the throttled speed 24/7 until the end of your billing cycle, you'll never reach the amount of usage you would have reached if you hadn't gotten handicapped. Therefore, the maximum amount of data transfer you can theoretically reach was limited by the throttling.

11. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

unlimited

Adjective:
    1. Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.
    It's no longer unlimited - they are deliberately reducing the speed rather than providing best-effort unlimited access.

If you were on a highway that had no speed limit, you know that you won't get pulled over for going 150 mph (assuming your car could go that fast). If you start having cops track everybody's speed, pull over the people who are the 5%, and then put limiters on their car for the rest of their trip through the highway so that they can only go 2 mph, then it is now limited and they are sitting there on the road for a lot longer trying to get their driving done. Then, everybody else is wondering how fast they can go before they get pulled over despite the signs that say "No speed limit", so everybody drives slower or takes the back roads. Works out well for the highway construction workers that don't have to do as much work on the road, but it sure pisses off all the drivers who now have to slow down or take another route.

Claim the terms of service and the contract never meant unlimited all you want, but the fact is that it is now limited, and not what anybody with an unlimited plan ever signed up for. It's bait-and-switch.

In any case, there is not likely to be any way out of it besides the ETF or riding out the contract and then jumping ship. AT&T's got everybody by the balls with the contract and the arbitration clause, so nobody who ever signed up with AT&T for cell service can ever participate in a lawsuit against them. The 5% will gradually become a shorter and shorter peak to reach as people fall off, so it will become increasingly unusable exactly the way they wanted it to be. I'm considering cutting my service down to the minimum level, no data or messaging, and starting new phone service with another carrier and a new number. This time, no contracts. I'm not getting sucked into that crap again.

Apparently, it's already at 2gb/month in many cases. I've been tracking the thread at HowardForums and I'm seeing a lot of people getting it at just about 2 gigs.

12. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

That would be correct IF there was a set number of data usage to be provided and that you used that every single month. Who is to say even with throttled speeds you couldn't reach your fictitious number of data usage?
    They haven't said you can't continue to use data. They just limit the speed. There isn't even a guarantee of a certain speed to begin with. What if you live in a horrible reception area?

You aren't going to change my mind in this. I think it is fair and lawful of them. Don't abuse the system and you won't get throttled.

13. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

AT&T's propaganda machine is very effective at painting the mythical data hog in a bad light, unfortunately. Not everybody who gets throttled is abusing the system. AT&T's trying to get everyone into the habit of criticizing anybody who complains about it, calling them an abuser. And they have succeeded.

I do not have an issue with the core idea of network management to mitigate the effect of congestion. I do not even really blame them for wanting to make more money. Don't we all? The problem I have is the extent of the throttling. As in, slower than 2G, close to dialup. Sure, there is no service level guarantee, and these kinds of speeds are yesterday's news to people in crowded metro areas. But AT&T's plastering the speed of their network all over the billboards and TV commercials. It's their selling point. The bait.

I would not have this much of an issue with a reduction to moderate speeds, perhaps down to the level of a typical Sprint top speed, because then I feel they would still be holding true to the spirit of the unlimited plan that they sold so many millions of people a few years ago. They would still have their advantage over Sprint and Verizon as far as speed goes, and I'd probably still be a happy customer and maybe even renew my contract with them later on down the line again when the iPhone 5GS2 comes out. But to dialup speeds? Nope. This is pure greedy bullying. Sure, you can still do your downloading and streaming if you wait about 5 hours to get a 5 minute video. So, they still get off on the technicality that there's no data cap, but it is for all intents and purposes limited.

I sound like an entitled snob, I know, but I'm not getting the service that they lured me into a contract for, and it has nothing to do with abuse. I tried like hell to curb my data usage and I was still nailed despite my best efforts. So, I'm jumping ship at my earliest available opportunity.

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That is totally cool, man! I'm not out to change the mind of each and every person who encounters my opinion. If my points of view convince anyone, then great, but if not, no biggie.

Speaking of AT&T and data plans, new ones are coming up... Not necessarily better ones, just new ones.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/18/att-new-data-plans/

I'm just glad and lucky that I can get away with the cheapest (250MB) plan and that I will be able to keep that plan. Fortunately, using 3G data is not a life-or-death issue for me. I mostly enjoy the music I have stored on my iPhone and stay away from Pandora and the like whenever I'm not on Wi-Fi. (And luckily, WWF doesn't appear to be a data hog. :D)

EDIT: With these higher data plans going into effect soon, I shudder to think what the data plans for LTE will be like on a future iPhone. It's almost as if the enhanced speed of LTE will be worthless. Sure, surf faster! But stay away from the top 5%... Use Wi-Fi to avoid becoming part of the 5%!

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Very accurately put. You're on to them!

Here's the throttled speeds on display, something you won't find anywhere on the AT&T website:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/17/att-data-throttling-shown-on-video/

This is the video every customer had the right to see before they signed up for the unlimited plan.

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If you do decide to do that, AT&T has (or at least had, not very long ago) a plan where they keep your account open but inactive for like $5 or $10 a month. I suggest you ask about it. Say you have to go abroad for x number of months, and you'd like to keep your account with AT&T. You won't be needing your phone abroad, so you'd like to make your account "inactive." If the first person you speak to claims nothing like that exists, ask to speak to a higher up. And please ask whether the time your account will spend in dormant mode will count towards fulfilling your contract. Word this carefuly, as you don't want to imply that you'll be canceling your account once the x number of months have elapsed. I tried to Google this topic but I couldn't find anything. But I know from personal experience that they had it not long ago, and I hope it's still around.

I'll advise if I manage to find anything on this topic.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just wish that AT&T would do away with unlimited plans altogether. I'm amazed that people feel like they are getting shafted when they get throttled for mobile data usage in excess of 50 GB/month. It's very simple - the network can't handle it and would collapse if everyone used that much. They were only able to offer unlimited to everyone back in '07-'09 because we didn't have as much access to streaming media at the time. No one used that much back then. In fact, I think it was really rare for anyone to exceed 2 GB/month unless they were illegally tethering. There were no official tethering plans at the time. A class action lawsuit would never even take off. They are operating completely within the terms we agreed to.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't see that as bait. I'm in the boat that most AT&T users are in: we have never exceeded 2 GB/month and are not at risk for throttling. We stick with this network for several reasons, one of which is that the data speeds are the fastest.

Did they really lure you into a contract? I wouldn't say so if you were with AT&T prior to last February when the first non-AT&T iPhone was released. If you were with them prior to 2010, it was the only option. To be fair, you did use 80 GB one month. No one can expect exorbitant usage like that last very long. People in that boat will have to compromise if they want to continue using that much, and that means slow data speeds with Sprint.

And it's still unlimited use once throttled, it's just slower speeds. They never guaranteed the speeds in the first place.

19. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Sprint will start some form of throttling soon enough.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Their speeds are slow enough in most areas that they don't have a huge problem with it right now. If the next iPhone is LTE, I think you're right and they will switch to capped plans and/or start throttling.