AT&T Mobile insurance question

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
I just got an email from AT&T that you can get mobile insurance for $6.99 right now even if you didn't just buy it.
I assumed this excludes the iPhone but it doesn't exclude it. Covers theft, damage, water damage and out of warranty failure.

Is that correct?

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Correct. I prefer AppleCare+ since I could get a same-day replacement. Someone here had to wait about two weeks for their Best Buy replacement. I think they'll give you a loaner phone if you don't have an old iPhone to use during the wait. Best Buy does cover theft and loss, though. AppleCare+ does not, but it is $69 less (2 years).

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
FYI: There is a $199 non-refundable deductible in order to get a replacement iPhone. [Source]

Now, I'm curious to know if they give you a new iPhone or a refurbished one.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Correct. I prefer AppleCare+ since I could get a same-day replacement. Someone here had to wait about two weeks for their Best Buy replacement. I think they'll give you a loaner phone if you don't have an old iPhone to use during the wait. Best Buy does cover theft and loss, though. AppleCare+ does not, but it is $69 less (2 years).
I thought Apple care doesn't cover water damage tho?

Sent using iCafe app

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
FYI: There is a $199 non-refundable deductible in order to get a replacement iPhone. [Source]

Yeah I noticed the $199 ded. That's bs and in no way a good deal.

Sent using iCafe app

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013

It will be a refurbished phone.

Sent from the baddest smartphone on the planet, my white 64GB iPhone 5.

Tomscave

Bronze
Dec 10, 2009
Sunshine State
It will be a refurbished phone.

Sent from the baddest smartphone on the planet, my white 64GB iPhone 5.
It will also be refurbished with 3rd party parts. My mother-in-law just received a replacement iPhone from them and the home button was malfunctioning. She brought it to the Apple Store and they told her it has 3rd party parts inside and they couldnt help her.